2019/2020 season predictions

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I'm sure I will be editing these predictions a month from now but here's how I see it now...

West:

London
Saginaw
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Sarnia
SSM
Windsor
Flint
Erie
Guelph

I think spots 4-7 are completely wide open. This will shuffle depending on OA's and who is selling. For example. If Sarnia sells McGregor and Josling then they would drop down to 7th.

East:

Oshawa
Sudbury
Peterborough
Ottawa
Barrie
Missy
North Bay
Kingston
Hamilton
Niagara
Great post
I agree with your analysis that things will change between now and October and then again by the beginning of January. The fact that the OHL is hosting the Mem Cup the following year will come into play for some teams as well.

My prediction is only slightly different than yours.....

East:

Peterborough
Sudbury
Ottawa
Oshawa
Barrie
Missy
North Bay
Hamilton
Niagara
Kingston

West:

Kitchener
Saginaw
London
Owen Sound
Sarnia
SSM
Flint
Windsor
Erie
Guelph

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Its nice to see so many high Sudbury predictions, and based on the returning forward/d-core and the principles of natural player progression that seems a smart pick, but goaltending is still a big question mark here.

Need 1 of 3 to happen, in order of preference:
1. Niessen-Dichow reports
2. Trade Carson + picks for an OA G
3. Pray one of Lemaire/Weeks/Bowen pans out and is a serviceable .910ish guy

If none of the above become true, we're a 4-5 seed IMO

Reactions: Opinionated

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Its nice to see so many high Sudbury predictions, and based on the returning forward/d-core and the principles of natural player progression that seems a smart pick, but goaltending is still a big question mark here.

Need 1 of 3 to happen, in order of preference:
1. Niessen-Dichow reports
2. Trade Carson + picks for an OA G
3. Pray one of Lemaire/Weeks/Bowen pans out and is a serviceable .910ish guy

If none of the above become true, we're a 4-5 seed IMO

.910 save % goalie would be closer to an all-star level than "serviceable". Gens are in a similar boat. Neither team can expect .910+ from Lemaire/Weeks/Bowen or Paputsakis/Sbrocca. If any of those goalies was .900 that would be a big success for each team

Reactions: LDN

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
.910 save % goalie would be closer to an all-star level than "serviceable". Gens are in a similar boat. Neither team can expect .910+ from Lemaire/Weeks/Bowen or Paputsakis/Sbrocca. If any of those goalies was .900 that would be a big success for each team

Yeah I guess .900 would've been 10th last year. If that's the serviceable line then that's what we need somehow.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I am surprised most posters have Ottawa third/fourth or lower. We're likely getting back our whole D and we have a top five goalie in Andree. Up front yes we lost a lot but Rossi should dominate. We also have Keating back. Then Hoelscher, Bitten, Clarke will all be better. Then there is Quinn...watch out for this kid. We also have plenty of draft capital/players to upgrade up front. I know I'm biased but I don't see Ottawa outside of the top two point getters in the conference. At this point on paper I think we are better than the Gens/Petes/Wolves. Of course future moves can change that and a lot will depend on what Ottawa plans to do the next two seasons. Just my opinion.

Reactions: nelli27 and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am surprised most posters have Ottawa third/fourth or lower. We're likely getting back our whole D and we have a top five goalie in Andree. Up front yes we lost a lot but Rossi should dominate. We also have Keating back. Then Hoelscher, Bitten, Clarke will all be better. Then there is Quinn...watch out for this kid. We also have plenty of draft capital/players to upgrade up front. I know I'm biased but I don't see Ottawa outside of the top two point getters in the conference. At this point on paper I think we are better than the Gens/Petes/Wolves. Of course future moves can change that and a lot will depend on what Ottawa plans to do the next two seasons. Just my opinion.

The ‘67s are one of the best in terms of rosters, prospects, & picks in the league imo. The only thing that could hold Ottawa back is the opportunity to represent the OHL in hosting 2021 memorial cup. I have the ‘67s #3 for that reason as well as the fact that the Petes are no doubt all-in.

Reactions: Finster8

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Yeah Ottawa would be my pick to win the East. The Petes will be up there too, not because I love their team right now (I'll never, ever trust a team to win when 2 of their best players are SDA and Merkley), but because they'll be forced to go all-in because they lose so many guys after this year, so they should add more than anyone

I think a lot of people have the Gens high in these projections because the Gens have more 2nd/3rd round picks to trade than anyone, and theoretically could be one of the best teams in the East if they went all-in, but it won't happen this year. There's a better chance they trade Noel at the deadline

Last edited:

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

I think you'll be the best team again in 2020-2021, and sort of get the sense that you'll move a few older players at the deadline as part of a slight re-tool. I have Ottawa finishing 3rd and maybe reaching the conference finals.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa and Oshawa will both be wild cards with respect to the East. Both are in a situation to Compete this year or do a minor retool and sell a little and shove assets toward a run next year.

Until both of these teams show their hands, any predictions with respect to the East are useless. These are the two teams in the drivers seat. That is a fact. They have the best rosters combined with available assets and financial resources to make deals easier. In other words, they can acquire scholarships etc and pay them with ease.

The Pete’s have a decent returning roster but they are handcuffed by not having the assets to add significant players combined with the potential of having players not waiving no trade clauses to go there. No disrespect to the Pete’s organization meant but they have some work to do in the reputation department before high profile players willingly report when other options may present themselves.

Ottawa has Goaltending, Defence and front line scoring. If they choose to make another run, all they need to acquire is secondary scoring. Secondary scoring is the easiest to acquire. The other two are much more difficult. They have the assets to acquire as much secondary scoring they need, barring any significant injuries to existing front line scoring.

Sirius is correct. Quinn will be a serious top scorer next season. With Rossi and Hoelscher down the middle and then Tolnai probably getting an opportunity to hold down the 3rd centre position, they have the required centremen. Keating, Quinn, Clarke and Bitten should round out the top two lines. Two more wingers and potentially a centre if Tolnai proves not capable should not be all that difficult.

Ottawa could be the runaway leader in the East if they choose to be the team to beat. Or, they could retool and trade Hoelscher and Bahl as well as Hoefenmeyer when he returns.

Oshawa is in the same boat except they seem to be short in some positions more difficult to fill. Either way, those two teams will drive the bus next season in the East. Or, they will choose to pass the baton and bail.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Players wanting to chase a championship in their final season will waive NTC to a real contender. Belleville, Erie, NB, Saginaw, Sudbury have all had reporting issues at times; but when in contention, no real issue.
The Petes are hardly handicapped by a lack of assets. They have two ‘03 1sts; and over the next five drafts, six 2nds (3 in ‘20), six 3rds, & five 4ths. Imo that compares favourably to the Gens eight 2nds (5 in ‘23 & ‘24), & two (3rds & 4ths) ... zero 2-5 in ‘20. As previous picks trades have shown, near picks have more value than distant picks.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I was among some people that thought the Rangers would be good again after an alright season last year. (I am a Rangers fan)

My predictions for the season are:

WEST:
Saginaw
Kitchener
London
SSM
Owen Sound
Windsor
Sarnia
Flint
Erie
Guelph

EAST:
Sudbury
Ottawa
Peterborough
Oshawa
Mississauga
Barrie
North Bay
Hamilton
Kingston
North Bay

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I was among some people that thought the Rangers would be good again after an alright season last year. (I am a Rangers fan)

WEST:
Saginaw
Kitchener
London
SSM
Owen Sound
Windsor
Sarnia
Flint
Erie
Guelph

EAST:
Sudbury
Ottawa
Peterborough
Oshawa
Mississauga
Barrie
North Bay
Hamilton
Kingston
North Bay

Assuming the second one is a typo?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Imo that compares favourably to the Gens eight 2nds (5 in ‘23 & ‘24), & two (3rds & 4ths) ... zero 2-5 in ‘20. As previous picks trades have shown, near picks have more value than distant picks.

The Gens have intentionally done this so next year when they go-all in for a potential Mem Cup host, they don't lose one pick between now and then

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Gens have intentionally done this so next year when they go-all in for a potential Mem Cup host, they don't lose one pick between now and then

That’s silly. Why did the Gens exercise the * on Erie ‘24 2nd that got them Flint ‘19 2nd? Because the earlier the pick, the more value that pick has.
OSH gave up Ham ‘20 2nd & OSH ‘21 4th for Ldn ‘19 2nd (40th pick!). Petes got Miss ‘20 2nd, Erie ‘21 3rd, OS ‘23 6th for NB ‘19 2nd.
The Gens simply took the best value they could in trades, some of which were distant picks.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
My guess for the west. Don't think I'll attempt the east:

London
Saginaw
Kitchener
Windsor
Flint
Soo
Erie
Sarnia
Owen Sound
Guelph

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Owen Sound 9th I doubt that will happen with the roster OS has coming into 2019/20, Owen Sound has a better roster then missing the playoffs.

Every team other than Guelph has a roster that's better than missing the playoffs. Someone is still finishing 9th. To me there's not enough fire power there.

Reactions: ottersguy

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls

WEST:
Saginaw
Kitchener
London
SSM
Owen Sound
Windsor
Sarnia
Flint
Erie
Guelph

EAST:
Sudbury
Ottawa
Peterborough
Oshawa
Mississauga
Barrie
North Bay
Hamilton
Kingston
North Bay

:huh:

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Players wanting to chase a championship in their final season will waive NTC to a real contender. Belleville, Erie, NB, Saginaw, Sudbury have all had reporting issues at times; but when in contention, no real issue.
The Petes are hardly handicapped by a lack of assets. They have two ‘03 1sts; and over the next five drafts, six 2nds (3 in ‘20), six 3rds, & five 4ths. Imo that compares favourably to the Gens eight 2nds (5 in ‘23 & ‘24), & two (3rds & 4ths) ... zero 2-5 in ‘20. As previous picks trades have shown, near picks have more value than distant picks.
Totally agree with this no matter what team if you’re not up in the standings at least 2nd come Christmas top players will not come to you. I don’t believe that at this point any OHL team would be limited to top players coming to them if they have a legit shot at a championship

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Fyi - I have added the rules to the first thread for all to read if you don't remember from last year or if you just joined and want to take a stab at picks.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019

WEST:
Saginaw
Kitchener
London
SSM
Owen Sound
Windsor
Sarnia
Flint
Erie
Guelph

EAST:
Sudbury
Ottawa
Peterborough
Oshawa
Mississauga
Barrie
North Bay
Hamilton
Kingston
North Bay

I just wanted to point out that I do not have the best knowledge of the Eastern conference but still wanted to participate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad