Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Prospect Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
See I can't agree man, if the song "Surfin Bird" was never a thing it's probably a tier or two lower, but an animal name and a song that literally states "Bird is the word"? Sorry, that's an amazing name for anything..

no need to be Sorry for being wrong Dave. We all are occasionally, this is just your turn. :P

and Larry just doesn’t work.

now a “Larry” that works well with an animal last name is Lawrence Fishburne. Awesome name, but if it was Larry Fish, it would suck.

if the Celtic great was Lawrence Birdsong, It would be an awesome name.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Any prospects in action on Sunday?

tenor.gif

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Any prospects in action on Sunday?

tenor.gif

Mercuri's playing right now, watching him on Hockey.TV ATM. Has two primary assists already and looks like the best player on the ice. Good sign, but the real test will be when he's in the NCAA next year. Having five full seasons of rights, a la David Cotton, is a nice thing to have for late-round guys like him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jamieson Rees looked good last night in the Canada WJC selection camp scrimmage. He stood out for his energy and physicality in a game with something like 27 recent first rounders. He had a couple dangerous chances offensively but didn't capitalize. He just made his presence known every shift and played a good pest game. Rees is on the roster bubble but he's making a good case as a bottom-6 agitator.

Jarvis had a couple standout moments that I saw. He looked like he did in his highlights, stickhandling around the entire offensive zone trying to get to a better scoring chance. He mostly got boxed out though and could probably have used his linemates better.

Suzuki had a game of sustained above-average play but nothing that popped out too much. He's always making the safe, smart play. He played well down low on the powerplay. At least a few times he broke up a play defensively, skated the puck out to the red line, and got it deep to allow his tired teammates to change.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That’s what I love about our front office. While other teams are napping, we’re out there grabbing great named prospects in all rounds. Clearly Tulsky has his fingerprints all over this strategy.

See you still have this backwards. It’s not about drafting players with great names. It’s about avoiding ones with crappy names.

Great name doesn’t equal great player. OK name can still be great player. Bad name just means they’ll never be a GOAT and if we’re being honest, will probably be a failure.

Take the bad names in the later rounds if you like as they still might amount to a 4th line grinder or back up goalie but don’t waste a 1st round pick on them is all.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
By only drafting great names, by default it means you aren’t drafting bad names.

See, you are playing 2D chess but Tulsky and the front office are playing 5D chess.

But as I mentioned, great name does not equal great player so you could still end up with all bad players. Draft players you think are good as long as their name doesn’t suck. That’s the winning formula right there. You and Tulsky are trying to reinvent the wheel but instead have built a bicycle with triangles for wheels. Don’t try to be too smart for the room. Just don’t be so dumb that you leave the room to take a piss and can’t find your way back.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Rees with 2 goals now. He is always in the middle of plays. And right after that goal Suzuki sets up Quinn with a perfect touch pass.

Passing on Nick Robertson hurts just a little bit less the more that I see Rees. He's very good and has a chippy streak that our big club sometimes lacks. I still expect a slow burn to the NHL for most of our guys, though. We don't have the kind of cap issues, even with Svech and Dougie, to rush a guy like him into the NHL the way that Toronto may be forced to do with Robertson if a guy like, say, Jimmy Vesey flames out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad