Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Prospect Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
But Drury's rights are still owned from the same 2018 draft right? Hopefully he signs at some point.

Yes, we own his rights for two more seasons. He'll be ELCed, I'm very sure of that. I expect Jarvis, Rees, Drury, Makiniemi, LaFontaine, and Murray to all get ELCed by the end of the year (Henman being a potential dark horse ELC even though they've technically renounced his rights, IMO in part because of COVID uncertainty). LaFontaine is a particularly interesting comeback story, considering as he was all but written off as a total bust even by me a couple of years ago, which of course shows the huge amount of value in long-term NCAA prospect rights in the later rounds.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
But Drury's rights are still owned from the same 2018 draft right? Hopefully he signs at some point.
Yes, he's a college player. You retain their rights for 4 years (even 5 in some cases), same as the players drafted from Europe. No QO needed to retain, I believe.

Henman was drafted from CHL, their and other non-college NA players' rights are retained only for 2 years after which they re-enter the draft (if still eligible). So to say, the NA guys got a 2+2 thing going on instead of 4.

edit: confirmations and corrections:

It's not a "Qualifying Offer" but a "Bona Fide Offer", when talking of unsigned draftees. To retain the rights of an NA guy for the second year, the team is required to tender him a BFO of minimum ELC on or before the first June 1 after the Draft. This requirement doesn't apply to college players and European draftees.

If the college/European guy is drafted at 20 or older, then you only retain his rights for two years. If NA guy leaves Major Juniors prior 20, there are exceptions (=more years) to retaining their exclusive negotiation rights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad