2019-2020 OHL Hot Takes That You Actually Believe

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I can't really get a feel for London yet. Their D is supppper raw but they have the picks to change that pretty fast, but will they? I think

London has a veteran forward group and a talented inexperienced Defence. This disconnect needs fixed. Depending on how it goes early I wouldn’t be shocked to see them ship out veteran forwards and load up with “age aligned” forwards. Then look towards next year or even the year after? HOWEVER cleaning house or selling off in London generally means a finish of Mid Pack not Bottom Pack. All depends on how the younger “D” develop as I believe they are committed to keeping and playing the youngsters. Going to be fun to see where it all goes.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
London has a veteran forward group and a talented inexperienced Defence. This disconnect needs fixed. Depending on how it goes early I wouldn’t be shocked to see them ship out veteran forwards and load up with “age aligned” forwards. Then look towards next year or even the year after? HOWEVER cleaning house or selling off in London generally means a finish of Mid Pack not Bottom Pack. All depends on how the younger “D” develop as I believe they are committed to keeping and playing the youngsters. Going to be fun to see where it all goes.

Yeah they have way too much talent to “sell off”

Could they make minor tweaks and be a 40-45 team? Yes. But they also have the assets to load up a bit and compete for a title given the open field of the West. If I were London, would I really fear Flint, Kitchener, or Saginaw? Because there really are no other teams who are in position to make a run. Maybe SSM but even they would need MAJOR buys to get to that point.

London could and likely will self evaluate themselves and the league (like they always do). And I think by mid season they will be in position to add 2/3 bigger names to make a good run at it

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Yeah they have way too much talent to “sell off”

Could they make minor tweaks and be a 40-45 team? Yes. But they also have the assets to load up a bit and compete for a title given the open field of the West. If I were London, would I really fear Flint, Kitchener, or Saginaw? Because there really are no other teams who are in position to make a run. Maybe SSM but even they would need MAJOR buys to get to that point.

London could and likely will self evaluate themselves and the league (like they always do). And I think by mid season they will be in position to add 2/3 bigger names to make a good run at it

The Hounds could add the best player in the league at some point and I expect that they will have a good chance at a division title with this group, but major trades seem very unlikely. They are still very young and lose almost nothing to graduation.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

Agreed and I guess I'm just not feeling as warm and fuzzy as others who say London is stacked and it's a No Brainer that they will be on top. I think it will have more to do with what others do and how they perform then maybe in past years. Should be fun for sure....

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Peterboro Petes may be the team in the OHL to watch this year for various reasons.

1)Ryan Merkley's on the block. The fact that he's going to be hard to move to get value for, is something to keep an eye on.

Prediction: The Petes are reduced to having to move him for maybe a third round pick plus a small handful of conditional picks. Conditions would be a combination of performance/if he's even with the team after December 31st. That sort of deal would work for the destination team. If he doesn't work out, release him before the new year and it only costs you a third rounder. Worth a shot.

2)SDA is rumoured to have asked for a trade. Just a rumor, but it's also worth paying attention to.

Prediction: Just a rumour. He stays put and is a part of Peterboro's all in season.

3)They have an over age spot to fill. As they are going all in this year, surely they would like to bring in a higher end overage.

Prediction: they deal for a high-end OA forward.

4)Mason McTavish, who was refusing to report then all of a sudden, curiously signed. Did he actually have a change of heart and wants to be a Pete? Or was he promised a January trade to a team of his choosing? It's possible. It's also possible that there may already be a deal in the works with another team. The Kerby Rychel trade from Mississauga to Windsor comes to mind here. This is pure speculation on my part. But in an all in season, he would be quite a bargaining chip to move for veteran help. My thinking is that getting him to sign, with a pre-approved trade to a team of his choice for veteran help, would make sense from a Peterboro point of view. If they were to trade him during the defective player period, all they would get back is picks. Sure, those would be good assets to use at the deadline, but if they already have a veteran player targeted, and from a team that McTavish wants to play for, then it would all make sense for him to report to Peterboro and be a "good soldier" until the January trade.

Prediction: The latter is true. There will be a trade where McTavish is the centrepiece going to a team, that he will report to, for one or more veteran players.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
4)Mason McTavish, who was refusing to report then all of a sudden, curiously signed. Did he actually have a change of heart and wants to be a Pete? Or was he promised a January trade to a team of his choosing? It's possible. It's also possible that there may already be a deal in the works with another team. The Kerby Rychel trade from Mississauga to Windsor comes to mind here. This is pure speculation on my part. But in an all in season, he would be quite a bargaining chip to move for veteran help. My thinking is that getting him to sign, with a pre-approved trade to a team of his choice for veteran help, would make sense from a Peterboro point of view. If they were to trade him during the defective player period, all they would get back is picks. Sure, those would be good assets to use at the deadline, but if they already have a veteran player targeted, and from a team that McTavish wants to play for, then it would all make sense for him to report to Peterboro and be a "good soldier" until the January trade.

Prediction: The latter is true. There will be a trade where McTavish is the centrepiece going to a team, that he will report to, for one or more veteran players.

Prediction - That team is the Sarnia Sting for OA forward Ryan McGregor and another young prospect.

Reactions: LDN

member 71782

I think this is going to be a year where there is more parity than we usually see and will lead to some interesting trades as teams really trying to make a push look for ways to create some space between themselves at the top and those close behind in the middle of the pack.

Their will be some very good players available as always but the teams in most need of really going all in won't have the assets to make the large picks based deals we have become accustomed to so there will be painful decisions made on which kids get moved out to acquire the higher end veteran talent needed to make a run. Some of those teams sending vets out will still be in good shape and these moves will be like Oshawa last year, sideways moves that won't really hurt much this year and still leave them close enough to potentially upset some of those teams going all in.

This is going to lead to two things IMO.

First there will be a couple of two part deals coming. Some will be deadline this year and an offseason or early moves next year. Others may lead to an early trade this year with a second trade coming at the deadline this year.

Second is I think there will be a couple of disappointed fanbases as two teams that go all in or are considered favourites will be upset in the first round of the playoffs. Lately the top four teams in each conference usually move onto the second round without any real issues. Not always but it has become expected. I also think one of those teams that pull off an upset in the first round will also pull off another upset in the second round and make it to their conference finals.

There are a couple of older teams that are in a win now mode that need some solid upgrades to be more than just a good team and there are some young teams who have as many assets as those older teams that have solid but young line ups. They can make the sideways moves like Oshawa last year, move out a vet or two while returning a solid 02 for the future but they won't see a significant drop off in their ability to compete.

I think the bottom teams in each conference will be pretty clear cut but the 7/8 seeds will be fighting to stay out of the bottom. The 5/6 teams from each conference will be not quite ready to challenge for a top four spot in the conference but they will be close enough to make it interesting throughout the regular season and a couple of them will pull off first round playoff upsets.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
1. There are no two part trades but that won't stop 95% of members of this board speculating on them (is Tomasino a General yet? No?).

2. Only one '03 born first rounder is traded at the deadline, it's not Mason McTavish. This won't stop fans from wishcasting their OA with 30 games left in the OHL into fantastical and implausible trades for these first rounders.

3. Cameron Butler, who is basically being ignored on NHL Draft Lists right now is selected in the first round in 2020.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
1. There are no two part trades but that won't stop 95% of members of this board speculating on them (is Tomasino a General yet? No?).

2. Only one '03 born first rounder is traded at the deadline, it's not Mason McTavish. This won't stop fans from wishcasting their OA with 30 games left in the OHL into fantastical and implausible trades for these first rounders.

3. Cameron Butler, who is basically being ignored on NHL Draft Lists right now is selected in the first round in 2020.

The 2 part Tomasino thing wasn't made up out of the blue by fans like you're making it out to be, it came directly from multiple OHLInsiders tweets (along with Allan Etmanski). Now maybe some people don't believe what OHL insiders says, but I know you're not one of those people because you specifically had quoted him literally yesterday in the Petes thread about another rumour he tweeted out. So either you think there's credibility to what he tweets out or you don't. But you can't run with it when it's about Dellandrea and then shit on fans because they ran with another tweet he put out about Tomasino....

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The 2 part Tomasino thing wasn't made up out of the blue by fans like you're making it out to be, it came directly from multiple OHLInsiders tweets (along with Allan Etmanski). Now maybe some people don't believe what OHL insiders says, but I know you're not one of those people because you specifically had quoted him literally yesterday in the Petes thread about another rumour he tweeted out. So either you think there's credibility to what he tweets out or you don't. But you can't run with it when it's about Dellandrea and then **** on fans because they ran with another tweet he put out about Tomasino....
I'm just saying compare the level of talk about two part trades on these boards to the number that have actually ever happened and the ratio is way way way out of whack.

member 71782

Two part deals certainly don't happen all the time, the league has tried to put rules in place to minimize them but the two WST/KIT deals a couple of years ago, Bracco to WSR then the following season Stanley to KIT was likely a two part deal. I would guess the DiPietro to OTT then Maggio to WSR this year was more than likely worked out at the same time as a two part deal as well. They do happen, not a ton of them and teams certainly try to be subtle about them since the league wants to avoid them.

I agree that we won't likely see an 03 traded for an OA unless there are many more pieces involved both ways. First rounders normally go for the top 18/19 year olds out there.

I do think there will be more 02s traded this year based on the pick situation of about half the teams who will likely be considered contenders.

OSH has 10x 2nds, 2x 3rds, 3x 4ths, 5x 5ths
OTT has 6x 2nds, 6x 3rds, 8x 4ths, 6x 5ths
SUD has 5x 2nds, 5x 3rds, 4x 4ths, 5x 5ths
PTB has 5x 2nds, 4x 3rds, 5x 4ths, 5x 5ths

FLT (who I think will finish top 4 in the West) has 9x 2nds, 6x 3rds, 5x 4ths 7x 5ths
LDN has 7x 2nds, 5x 3rds, 4x 4ths, 5x 5ths
KIT has 5x 2nds, 7x 3rds, 5x 4ths, 2x 5ths
SAG has 5x 2nds, 2x 3rds, 4x 4ths, 6x 5ths

That excludes all conditional picks for the teams likely to finish top four in the two conferences, based on the picks DB and what has transpired since April (there are some questions surrounding some of the picks and who has them or if conditions have been met). Any type of bidding wars will lead to some teams having to be more creative than others. That's why I believe there will be some more second year players than normal traded or two part deals between teams that are likely going all in to get a better deal now along with assets next year to get things turned around.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
2200 in Missy for the home opener (actual ppl in the building???)

2900 in NBay for home opener

3000 in Erie

Erie always starts slow. Always. Even with McDavid. High school football is a huge deal around here. So with big game days on Friday and nice weather, people are outside at high school events

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
London decides to sell this trade deadline.

They move Foudy, Gruden and Regula to contenders for massive return.

Despite selling off, they still finish fourth in the conference and win a round in the playoffs.

They go into next season with Dunkley, Kooy and Moskal (to start) as their OA's.

They use their already deep asset base (seven 2nds, seven 3rds), along with the return they get from selling off the above three, to build a super team that is ranked #1 in the country, wins the west, and is one of the two OHL teams in the Memorial Cup.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Sudbury Wolves will come up with the best promotion in the OHL outside of the US

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Peterboro Petes may be the team in the OHL to watch this year for various reasons.

1)Ryan Merkley's on the block. The fact that he's going to be hard to move to get value for, is something to keep an eye on.

Prediction: The Petes are reduced to having to move him for maybe a third round pick plus a small handful of conditional picks. Conditions would be a combination of performance/if he's even with the team after December 31st. That sort of deal would work for the destination team. If he doesn't work out, release him before the new year and it only costs you a third rounder. Worth a shot.

2)SDA is rumoured to have asked for a trade. Just a rumor, but it's also worth paying attention to.

Prediction: Just a rumour. He stays put and is a part of Peterboro's all in season.

3)They have an over age spot to fill. As they are going all in this year, surely they would like to bring in a higher end overage.

Prediction: they deal for a high-end OA forward.

Hate to toot my own horn, but:

One prediction down, three to go!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad