2019-2020 OHL Hot Takes That You Actually Believe

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I like Gilmour but I really can't see a team moving a top 4 defenseman him. Recent history suggests that he'll get something like a third round pick and a later pick. Webb will get less than that if a team is willing to use a spot on him.

Every team has the capacity to make some big trades so we'll see what happens. I was only making an assessment of the current situation.

I will say, however, that adding a pair of top flight defensemen without an OA spot is no easy task and it's not a given that they will be able to do it.

I think your underestimating the value of a D who was good enough to have a solid playoffs against top teams. Webb 6'4 200 and is not flashy but gets the job done. Physical presence and leadership qualities are an asset. Davis went for a 3rd, 4th, 5th and rights of Marshall Warren and Webb is a better D. I would keep him and if Coskey or Prosvetov make the next step then he will be a great help being the only RD on the team.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think your underestimating the value of a D who was good enough to have a solid playoffs against top teams. Webb 6'4 200 and is not flashy but gets the job done. Physical presence and leadership qualities are an asset. Davis went for a 3rd, 4th, 5th and rights of Marshall Warren and Webb is a better D. I would keep him and if Coskey or Prosvetov make the next step then he will be a great help being the only RD on the team.

I don't agree with your assessment of Webb, at least in the games that I saw him. In the series against Sault Ste. Marie he was indecisive with the puck and stifled the offense when he was on the ice. He also made some bad turnovers that led to goals, particularly in game 5.

I'm not saying he doesn't have his steong points but teams will be reluctant to give serious value and use an OA spot on a one dimensional player (physicality).

Reactions: LR8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I don't agree with your assessment of Webb, at least in the games that I saw him. In the series against Sault Ste. Marie he was indecisive with the puck and stifled the offense when he was on the ice. He also made some bad turnovers that led to goals, particularly in game 5.

I'm not saying he doesn't have his steong points but teams will be reluctant to give serious value and use an OA spot on a one dimensional player (physicality).

Time will tell.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Daniel Walker (OSH, formerly NB) will match anything the "wrecking" Bahl can dish out. And he will do it with about 1/2 the points.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Sudbury will win the Central.

Yeah, this is indeed a red hot take since that hasn't happened since 2001.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Sudbury will win the Central.

Yeah, this is indeed a red hot take since that hasn't happened since 2001.

They’ve got to be the favourites going into the season. NIA/NB have no chance, they’ll be fighting for a playoff spot. Miss is too young and don’t have enough impact players. Barrie is a dark horse because I think they might go for it this year with the import goalie and some older players, but SBY is certainly the favourite with it being Byfield/Levin/Carson/Bulitka’s last season. Think they have to go all in this year

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Out of the 5 Midwest division teams 4 of them will fight for the top 4 out of 5 spots in the conference in the second half of 2019/20 only to see 2 flame out in sweeps in the 2nd round of the playoffs against higher seeded teams.

Reactions: LDN and NOA

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With 2021 being a memorial cup host year for the OHL, the 2020 trade deadline presents an extreme buying oppurtunity of graduating players for the few teams truly in win-now mode.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Out of the 5 Midwest division teams 4 of them will fight for the top 4 out of 5 spots in the conference in the second half of 2019/20 only to see 2 flame out in sweeps in the 2nd round of the playoffs against higher seeded teams.

Erie should see some improvements this season but I can't see them making up a 40 point gap on Saginaw and Sault Ste. Marie, both of whom are expected to put up similar seasons again.

Owen Sound absolutely tanked (9-19 record) after dealing their top 4 players last year and they basically have the same group coming back. I expect improvements but a season near the top of the conference is unrealistic in my opinion.

I think Flint will surprise people and be better than both of those teams. I think that Windsor has a shot at doing the same. They both have more talented rosters.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I may be wrong but I dont think teams can trade Europeans their first year in the league. Can anyone verify that?

You’re kind of right. They can’t trade imports in the first year they got drafted. But Seider got drafted in 2018 so he can be traded

Last edited:

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
You’re kind of rights. They can’t traded imports in the first year they got drafted. But Seider got drafted in 2018 so he can be traded
Ok thanks, I was under the impression that it was first year of playing in the league regardless of when drafted as long as they were protected.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ok thanks, I was under the impression that it was first year of playing in the league regardless of when drafted as long as they were protected.

I’m not 100% sure, but I believe it’s based on when they’re drafted

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You’re kind of right. They can’t trade imports in the first year they got drafted. But Seider got drafted in 2018 so he can be traded
That rule changed last year - they can now be traded if they are on the active roster and if the player wishes to move, almost like a NTC. There is 1 trade window for this sometime in December ( as usual the league hides dates so I'm not sure of the exact time frame).

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That rule changed last year - they can now be traded if they are on the active roster and if the player wishes to move, almost like a NTC. There is 1 trade window for this sometime in December ( as usual the league hides dates so I'm not sure of the exact time frame).

Yeah but I think Seider could still be traded anytime because he was drafted in 2018 and not 2019

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Hunter Jones wins a game for Canada at the WJC. I'm not sure I actually believe this but my friend who knows way more about goalies than I do does, so I'll just piggyback it.

Edit - I don't mean that he steals a game, just that he gets in the net for one and Canada wins it.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

Usually trades can be made leading up to the holiday break usually mid-December depending upon the schedule this season Friday December 20th for the holiday time, and lifts Saturday December 28th.

However that is based upon the league approval of any trades being made, this dose not count the multiple scenarios of pro-trade freeze or deadline deals. To note OA trade deadline this year is Thursday January 9th and final deadline is Friday the 10th.

A great resource that has came out via Twitter has been @OhlTrade who has been very good at tracking all the trades across the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->