2019-2020 OHL Hot Takes That You Actually Believe

KnightsWatch

Nov 30, 2018
Of the teams I follow:

Saginaw wins the OHL and Memorial Cup.
London sells off and loses 1st round.
Greyhounds in the Conference finals before losing to Saginaw.
Mississauga makes it to the 2nd round, but loses.

I can't imagine London selling this year. Not saying it's impossible but I think it's very unlikely!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Has there been any updates on dichow
no new developments yet, the situation is supposedly that at the moment his contract in his home league is causing problems but Montreal may want him here after camp and if so would get involved.............. sooooo hes not coming

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
The Burke’s deliver on team loyalty, keep their new captain for the season and not only make the playoffs but win 3 playoff games.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Niagara trades Thomas and Tomasino at trade deadline and replenish the draft keg.
Rossi, Byfield and Perfetti 100 pts.

Reactions: LDN

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This one I would be surprised by. Noel yes because he's gone next year. If McShane remains unsigned until the deadline, I think they'd keep him for a playoff run and hope he's back next year as an OA

I actually did think of that but I really think McShane is going to have a solid season. I’m not too sure MTL has the luxury of passing on him.

Ottawa is in the same situation with Mitch Hoelscher. There’s a decent chance he returns next year as well but with NJ, maybe not.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I can't imagine London selling this year. Not saying it's impossible but I think it's very unlikely!

Do the Knights really rebuild? I can't remember a time when the Knights finished any lower then 6th since 2012 the last time the Knights finished lower then 6th was 2011 when OS won the league over Mississauga. When the Knights finished 8th.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Merkley does play in the OHL this year - somewhere.

The Petes will get 10 cents on the dollar for him in trade. The best they can hope for is a return with x amount of conditional picks based on his performance/whether or not he can ditch the soother.

The Sharks, who've invested a first round pick in him, are instrumental in getting him to a team that will insure whips are cracked etc etc in a full blown attempt to straighten him out (but it likely won't work).

Reactions: sbpointer and LDN

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Merkley does play in the OHL this year - somewhere.

The Petes will get 10 cents on the dollar for him in trade. The best they can hope for is a return with x amount of conditional picks based on his performance/whether or not he can ditch the soother.

The Sharks, who've invested a first round pick in him, are instrumental in getting him to a team that will insure whips are cracked etc etc in a full blown attempt to straighten him out (but it likely won't work).
A scout or two must be having sweating palms and nervous twitches over this selection.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I haven't seen anything for Windsor, so...

- Bowler makes a big trade that nobody sees coming, just so he can make his mark.
- Cuylle/Afanasyev each with 35-goal seasons and Foudy benefits with 70+ points.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Heres one outa left field. Maybe hopefull if it could work out but heres what i got.. OS is gifted Morietz Seider from Detroit and then trades for Merkley in hopes they can turn his career around. They keep him on a tight leash and end up with home ice in the playoffs only to lose in the second round.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Heres one outa left field. Maybe hopefull if it could work out but heres what i got.. OS is gifted Morietz Seider from Detroit and then trades for Merkley in hopes they can turn his career around. They keep him on a tight leash and end up with home ice in the playoffs only to lose in the second round.

You're right about one thing that's way out in left field.

Seider would be a gift from the hockey gods if that were to happen, as for RM he would fall into this order.

No, Never in a million years, and if so managment would be the target for fans to have feathers out of place and attendance to fall faster than the ball in times square in NY.

With RM having the baggage that he does I can't imagine what the management would be thinking if he made a deal like that.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Knights will record one of their worse starts to the season, largely due to Mark & Dale being preoccupied with their Team Canada duties, and the assistant coaches fumble their caretaker assignments badly.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I didn't expect this to really be a hot take, but people have unanimously picked Saginaw to win the West.

I think that their defense will get them in trouble. Wilde likely won't be back and they probably have to trade Webb, leaving perhaps the weakest blueline in the league.

I really like Millman as a good second pairing guy but the West Division has some excellent forward groups and they will undoubtedly feast on a collection of rookies and bottom pairing guys. Luckily for the Spirit, they have a similarly excellent forward group and great goaltending. We'll see if it is enougb.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I didn't expect this to really be a hot take, but people have unanimously picked Saginaw to win the West.

I think that their defense will get them in trouble. Wilde likely won't be back and they probably have to trade Webb, leaving perhaps the weakest blueline in the league.

I really like Millman as a good second pairing guy but the West Division has some excellent forward groups and they will undoubtedly feast on a collection of rookies and bottom pairing guys. Luckily for the Spirit, they have a similarly excellent forward group and great goaltending. We'll see if it is enougb.

They have a full draft cupboard of 2nds even after trading for Tippett/McLeod/Murray last year. And Drinkill has shown he’ll spend big to add. They’ll go get the Dmen they need, especially if Wilde isn’t back

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw will not have the worst D in the league and as Generalsupdates mentioned DD will bring in what is needed. Webb+Gilmour could land us a good one without using picks. If picks are needed it will happen, Sag will be all in again this year and have 5-2nds to use if needed. Plus picks gained from trading our OA's. Last year was Middleton not coming back and they ended up with Murray and O'Grady.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Saginaw will not have the worst D in the league and as Generalsupdates mentioned DD will bring in what is needed. Webb+Gilmour could land us a good one without using picks. If picks are needed it will happen, Sag will be all in again this year and have 5-2nds to use if needed. Plus picks gained from trading our OA's. Last year was Middleton not coming back and they ended up with Murray and O'Grady.

I like Gilmour but I really can't see a team moving a top 4 defenseman him. Recent history suggests that he'll get something like a third round pick and a later pick. Webb will get less than that if a team is willing to use a spot on him.

Every team has the capacity to make some big trades so we'll see what happens. I was only making an assessment of the current situation.

I will say, however, that adding a pair of top flight defensemen without an OA spot is no easy task and it's not a given that they will be able to do it.

Reactions: OSA

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
At some point during the season, Kevin "wrecking" Bahl will get a 10 game suspension for rolling over someone a little too violently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad