2019-2020 NHL Trade Deadline thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think you could rotate them, and settle up when you see who plays best. Perry is hot now, but what if he cools off? Janmark may not need to play, although he is good at everything but finish. Or, see who gets injured (hopefully just minor, if at all). They brought in Lovejoy last year and hardly played him. So, it could even be AA if he doesn't take to the new environment. If all you are giving up is Honka and a 2021 2nd for a high risk guy with offensive potential, I think you do it.

I don't see Cogs going out with AA plugging in. He is top 6 or bust if he plays no defense. Bones likes the FCC line and it works. That said, Janmark replacing Cogs, maybe on a rotating basis isn't completely implausible.

The other question would be, if they are scouting each other, who else would the Stars be looking at? I hope not Mike Green for a 9th D. Who on our roster now would Detroit be looking at if our side of the deal doesn't involve just Honks and a pick? Seems like they would want futures, unless of course, they were scouting us when JRob or Kivi were up.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I'm interested in Thornton, think he still has something to offer, and it would be so poetic if him and Pavs could come to Dallas and finally win a Cup.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
For just a 4th that could become a 3rd.

Yikes...

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Wonder if the Stars have been looking at Kapanen. They seem to want to add some more speed and they recently had 2 scouts at a Leafs-Pens game

Doubt Toronto moves him with Johnsson injured, and also not sure what they want, but it's a thought

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Hypothetically What we be the fwd projections if we were to add thornton (without giving up a player)

Hintz-Seguin-Radulov
Janmark-Thornton-Pavelski
Benn-Dickinson-Gurianov
Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau

Perry as 13th fwd. With the 13th fwd rotated between perry, janmark and thornton?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Despite the fact that Ritchie and Nichuskin who got protected over Eakin in the expansion draft are now also gone that was still the right choice. Stars f***ed up after getting rid of Eakin by signing Hanzal instead of letting Dickie and Faksa take 3rd and 4th line center duty ( like they are doing now ) but i have never missed the Ginger Ninja . Not for a second.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Despite the fact that Ritchie and Nichuskin who got protected over Eakin in the expansion draft are now also gone that was still the right choice. Stars f*cked up after getting rid of Eakin by signing Hanzal instead of letting Dickie and Faksa take 3rd and 4th line center duty ( like they are doing now ) but i have never missed the Ginger Ninja . Not for a second.

I've always liked eakin, but i only felt like he lived up to his potential a handful of times in dallas. that's still an underpayment but a cap dump to probably make a biggish move

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Yeah that's an odd deal. Vegas is up to something

They need to clear space to allow players to come off IR.
Tuch is supposed to be healthy-ish soon.
And he makes 4.75 with Martinez they would have been over the cap, and unable to put Tuch into the lineup.
They may have some other moves to make, but this was cap related to allow Tuch in

Reactions: JeffP

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I've always liked eakin, but i only felt like he lived up to his potential a handful of times in dallas. that's still an underpayment but a cap dump to probably make a biggish move

He allways infuriated me. His point totals fine but the eyetest allways told me he's not good and his advanced stats allways sucked as well. Whenever Ruff had him play with Benn and Seguin i remember getting angry about it . Faksa and Dickie aren't world beaters but they have never frustrated me as much as Eakin did when he was still with the Stars.

I wanted the Stars to leave Eakin exposed in the expansion draft even before the 2016-17 season happened. Thought he was overpaid and worse than the prospects behind him and i'm fairly certain i was right about that.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Demelo was my favorite available D, Kase my favorite available forward; now both are gone for what is imo substandard returns. Not that I was really expecting to go after either, but still makes me a little sad. Good deals available every year; always has been, always will be.

Limp Dekes

Jun 27, 2019
Pointless to add anyone. No one on this team should be in the press box.
This.

The team is set, it's up to the boys at this point. We don't have much to offer in a trade, and what we do have won't get us any significant improvement, if any at all.

The only piece that even gives me a bit of intrigue is Thornton, at a dirt cheap price. Him and Pavs have chemistry and could give an added boost. But again, I don't know who would come out, and there's no guarantee that he thrives here.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Something I looked into a week or so ago when the idea of Thornton first game up, since 2015-16, Pavelski and Thornton were playing together less and less. They played very little together last year. They have history, yes, but for some reason the Sharks split them up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah that seems low. I listened to the 30 Thoughts Podcast yesterday and Elliott/Marek really emphasized that teams are afraid to bring in AA because he's a lot in the room. They kept questioning if you make this move now at the TDL and risk upsetting players in the room or in the summer instead so AA can settle in. These guys are pretty connected to the industry so I would imagine this could reduce AA's perceived value around the league.

Yeah listening to that was new info for me. Was that something that was pretty well known about his locker room presence or is that something Friedman was talking about for the first time?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah listening to that was new info for me. Was that something that was pretty well known about his locker room presence or is that something Friedman was talking about for the first time?

Think there was some rumbling before AA signed his current contract that he was pretty difficult to deal with.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Is there a game changer with term out there? I don’t mind pushing our high picks and top prospects if it ups our scoring potential. I don’t like giving all that up for rentals. I don’t want Thornton either. That is a waste of a slot and that will hurt our defense. He is too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad