Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Balcers - White - Duclair

If we don't trade Tierney:
Paul - Pageau - C. Brown
Chlapik/Formenton - Tierney - Abramov/Davidsson/Verronneau

If we do trade Tierney:
Chlapik- Pageau - C. Brown
Formenton - Paul - Abramov/Davidsson

I personally think a 4th line with Formenton + Tierney could be really, really awesome - Formenton is the perfect player for Tierney to play with, because Tierney's game is based around smarts and I think he could feed into Formentons speed really well. That said, we are running out of space and if we can get a good asset for Tierney, that's definitely something we should look at.

Tkachuk-LBrown-Batherson
Duclair-White-*Namestikov
Balcers-*Pageau-Chlapik
Paul-*Tierney-*CBrown
*other trade candidates

Chabot-Demelo
Branstrom-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Jaros

Nilsson
Hogberg

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My Top 5 list for prospects (Forwards) is as following

1. Batherson
2. Davidsson
3. Norris
4. Abramov
5. Formenton

I believe Batherson, Davidsson and Abramov, all have strong potential to be legit top 6 in the NHL. Norris and Formenton are a safe bet to make it to the NHL even as good 3rd liners, if not 2nd liners

That list does not scream "Top End Prospects" to me. Some potential to be top 6 but not all top 6 type players.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
When Balcers is back:

Paul-Pageau-C.Brown
Tkachuk-L.Brown-Duclair
Namestnikov-White-Balcers
Chlapik-Tierney-Ennis

Reactions: Clayonator

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
#ChabotnDemelo

They should put Demelo back with Chabot and Zaitsev on the 2nd pair but I feel as though it's pretty hard to judge them based on the fact that our bottom 6 is pretty good for NHL standards yet our top 6 is way below the standard so I'm less than surprised that Demelo and Boro are playing better than the top 4.

It's nearly impossible to come out and play a tight and strong defensive game with two players who have played less than 100 games and Duclair when you're stacked up against the Bergeron, Matthews, Eichel, etc of this league. Consider QOC and QOT and we might get somewhere with this..

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They should put Demelo back with Chabot and Zaitsev on the 2nd pair but I feel as though it's pretty hard to judge them based on the fact that our bottom 6 is pretty good for NHL standards yet our top 6 is way below the standard so I'm less than surprised that Demelo and Boro are playing better than the top 4.

It's nearly impossible to come out and play a tight and strong defensive game with two players who have played less than 100 games and Duclair when you're stacked up against the Bergeron, Matthews, Eichel, etc of this league. Consider QOC and QOT and we might get somewhere with this..
Oh yah. Totally agree with that. I do think Demelo has helped Boro this year. I think Chabot has struggled and I am not throwing that on Zaitsev but I would like to see Demelo with Chabot to see if Chabot's game changes for the better. Zaitsev away from Chabot could result in some better assignments for Chabot as well as I think that DJ will heap the heavy lifting on the Zaitsev pair.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This might not be a popular opinion as of today however I believe it will be explored at some point in the future, with regards to line chemistry;

With the success Pageau has had, and with Paul taking his game to a new level, it almost seems like we have that one line that you do not want to mess with, however, I am of the opinion that the real chemistry on that line has been between Pageau and C. Brown, not necessarily with Paul.

I would posit that Paul would have equal success, if not more so if given a chance to play with his former AHL center in Logan Brown. Which brings me to point number two, line 2, and the undeniable chemistry that has appeared between Logan and Duclair.

In conclusion, my suggestion to coach Smith is to flip Tkachuk and Paul on their respective lines to see if it improves offense. My lineup if given the choice would be as follows:

Tkachuk- Pageau- C. Brown
Paul- L. Brown- Duclair
Balcers- White- Namestnikov
Chlapik- Tierney- Davidsson

Ennis would alternate games with Namestnikov, Davidsson and/or Balcers if he is not playing up to expectations.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This might not be a popular opinion as of today however I believe it will be explored at some point in the future, with regards to line chemistry:

With the success Pageau has had, and with Paul taking his game to a new level, it almost seems like we have that one line that you do not want to mess with, however, I am of the opinion that the real chemistry on that line has been between Pageau and C. Brown, not necessarily with Paul.

I would posit that Paul would have equal success, if not more so if given a chance to play with his former AHL center in Logan Brown. Which brings me to point number two, line 2, and the undeniable chemistry that has appeares between Logan and Duclair.

In conclusion, my suggestion to coach Smith is to flip Tkachuk and Paul on their respective lines to see if it improves offense. My lineup if given the choice would be as follows:

Paul- L. Brown- Duclair

Ennis would alternate games with Namestnikov, Davidsson and/or Balcers if he is not playing up to expectations.

I really like this lineup.

I think it could be a harder team to play against. All 4 lines are decent.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Brannstrom going out and Goloubef coming in for this one game has to be the earmark of my greatest day as a fan of the Ottawa Senators

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My Top 5 list for prospects (Forwards) is as following

1. Batherson
2. Davidsson
3. Norris
4. Abramov
5. Formenton

I believe Batherson, Davidsson and Abramov, all have strong potential to be legit top 6 in the NHL. Norris and Formenton are a safe bet to make it to the NHL even as good 3rd liners, if not 2nd liners
So is Brown graduated or below Formenton on this list...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So is Brown graduated or below Formenton on this list...

Didnt you get the memo, Brown is now our #1C!!! :sarcasm:

Seriously though, Im going to lose all of my faith in DJ Smith if they take Logan Brown out of the lineup for anyone else on the team at this point. He does not deserve it, and hes clearly our most talented center.

Hes a full time NHLer in my eyes at least. How good is he - is what we still need to answer at this point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That list does not scream "Top End Prospects" to me. Some potential to be top 6 but not all top 6 type players.

To be fair some of the good young players are already on the team although a couple may not yet be permanently on the team. IMO L. Brown, Tkachuk & Batherson should be top six players on this team & White at the moment has the 2nd line centre job especially if Pageau is moved by the deadline. And Chabot & Brannstrom on defence.

I'm not a fan of Zaitsev but we shouldn't blame him for the gaffs that Chabot has been making, way too often he thinks he can deke everyone it seems & every now & then they take the puck from him & make him look terrible. Chabot has to cut down on these gaffs & do a much better job of managing the puck & he needs to bulk up a little more.

IMO this team's weakness is on defence where they have a few guys who are being beaten physically & lose a number of puck battles. Brannstrom, Zaitsev, Chabot & DeMello are constantly losing puck battles against bigger & more physical forwards. It's the same problem the Leafs have, they are even softer on defence too. And I don't see any of their defence prospects of the future fixing this problem.

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Any chance Batherson gets called up finally now that Ryan isn't playing?

Doubt it honestly. The team still has 13 forwards on the roster and as far as guys in the minors getting called up, I think Balcers will get the call before Batherson (possibly Davidsson as well). It's not that he won't make it back up eventually, but I think the org wants him down there dominating for the time being.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
How has Brannstrom been?

As a wings fan and a Brannstrom owner in a deep keeper league I was looking forward to watching him last night.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Doubt it honestly. The team still has 13 forwards on the roster and as far as guys in the minors getting called up, I think Balcers will get the call before Batherson (possibly Davidsson as well). It's not that he won't make it back up eventually, but I think the org wants him down there dominating for the time being.

Mann says they want to keep those guys (Batherson, Formenton) down there until they are ready to make 1 final jump up to the NHL. Other guys will go up and down. Maybe Balcers will be in the group they will wait on not sure.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
How has Brannstrom been?

As a wings fan and a Brannstrom owner in a deep keeper league I was looking forward to watching him last night.
Decent. I like his overall game but often he looks overwhelmed out there. He's got a good transition game but not a lot of offence from the blue line in. It must be a very very deep keeper league if you have a player like Brannstrom.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oh yah. Totally agree with that. I do think Demelo has helped Boro this year. I think Chabot has struggled and I am not throwing that on Zaitsev but I would like to see Demelo with Chabot to see if Chabot's game changes for the better. Zaitsev away from Chabot could result in some better assignments for Chabot as well as I think that DJ will heap the heavy lifting on the Zaitsev pair.

I have generally liked Zaitsev but think he is a second pairing D man. Chabot has not played well so far this season: too much risk-taking, weak defensively. I would like to see the Senators hire a former pro defensive D man to teach him how to play a stronger defensive style. It would have to be someone who was a great Defenseman such as Lidstrom or Robinson or Potvin or he might not heed what they say.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This might not be a popular opinion as of today however I believe it will be explored at some point in the future, with regards to line chemistry;

I would posit that Paul would have equal success, if not more so if given a chance to play with his former AHL center in Logan Brown. Which brings me to point number two, line 2, and the undeniable chemistry that has appeared between Logan and Duclair.

Paul- L. Brown- Duclair

Interesting ideas.

I think Tkachuk and Duclair seem to be forming an interesting chemistry together, so I would keep them together.

I would try Paul with L. Brown to see if the chemistry from the AHL carries to the NHL level. Potential wingers: Namestnikov or Davidson or Balcers (to add speed) or Batherson

Pageau and C. Brown do seem to have chemistry together so keep them together. Potential wingers: Ennis, Davidson, Balcers, Chlapik

White - Tierney - whoever is left

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad