Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yikes. I think there is one potential first line forward in this group. I might play Pageau with Anisimov to take the draws. They are not the latter's strong point. I can't wait to see Formenton here full-time, but some time in the AHL in a very offensive role would help.

Tkachuk - White - Brown
Duclair - Tierney - Batherson
Pageau - Anisimov - Ryan
Balcers - Ennis - Boedker
Paul

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Demelo
Wolanin - Hainsey
Borowiecki

I think all 4 lines will be checking lines because the other teams will have the puck most of the time. :)

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Yikes. I think there is one potential first line forward in this group. I might play Pageau with Anisimov to take the draws. They are not the latter's strong point. I can't wait to see Formenton here full-time, but some time in the AHL in a very offensive role would help.

Tkachuk - White - Brown
Duclair - Tierney - Batherson
Pageau - Anisimov - Ryan
Balcers - Ennis - Boedker
Paul

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Demelo
Wolanin - Hainsey
Borowiecki

Tkachuk - L. Brown - White
Ryan - Pageau - Batherson (Duclair)
Balcers (Duclair) - Tierney - Boedker
Paul (Duclair) - Anisimov - C. Brown(could move around)
Duclair

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Zaitzev
Lajoie - Hainsey
Brannstrom (could slot in in a few different positions or ahead of Lajoie)

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I doubt Boedker plays over Duclair. And Anisimov will likely be at a higher position as well. Brown will slot higher as well.
I’d leave the kids in Belleville. Play the placeholders and trade them at the deadline to clear space. It’s all about 2020-2021.

Reactions: NB613

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO most of the guys that have one way contracts signed & specifically the UFAs should all play to try & increase their value leading up to the trade deadline. Obviously, the guys that start the yr in Ottawa will not be the same guys who finish the yr, I expect that most of the UFAs will be traded. Once they have made some room they can call up the best prospects but it would also be nice if Belleville has a decent team to help them make the playoffs & hopefully win a title. They could also move a couple of other guys if they can find partners to take them like Ryan, Tierny, Anisimov or Duclair.

UFAs this yr who could be moved leading up to the trade deadline:
Pageau, Boedker, Ennis, Boro, DeMello, Hainsey, Anderson & Condon

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think Paul will be with the team, so Boedker takes his position in the lineup because he has a 1-way until traded.
I also think Brannstrom will not start in Ottawa as Wolanin is ready and will take that spot playing with Zaitsev or De Melo.
Boro, Jaros and Hainsey will be on the 3rd D pair. The team will only carry one extra player due to budget reasons and the nearness of Belleville.

Agreed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It will be interesting to see how the lineup shapes up.

With DJ in charge and this being a development year, Boedker, and to a lesser degree Ryan, might have to do a little more to earn their spot in the lineup. I think Duclair may also have to do a little more as well as I don't see any of them as playing a DJ Smith style of game.

Obviously (C)Brown, Zaitsev and Ennis have a leg up due to familiarity.

Paul I think is a darkhorse to make the team; he plays a two way game (at least in the AHL) and I seem to recall Mann really praising his season. I think he said Paul was one of the most improved players on the team early in the season, and I think (L)Brown called him one of the best players in the league by March.

Maybe we try something like we did when Hoffman, Lazar and Stone all played together on the 4th line...

Tkachuk-White-(C)Brown
Balcers-Tierny-Ryan
Duclair-Anisimov-Pageau
Paul-(L)Brown-Batherson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Hainsey-DeMelo
Wolainin/Brannstrom-Jaros

Edit: forgot about Anisimov... idk anymore. Probably no chance Brown Batherson and Paul all make the team unless there is an injury.

Last edited:

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Tkachuk - L. Brown - White
Ryan - Pageau - Batherson (Duclair)
Balcers (Duclair) - Tierney - Boedker
Paul (Duclair) - Anisimov - C. Brown(could move around)
Duclair

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Zaitzev
Lajoie - Hainsey
Brannstrom (could slot in in a few different positions or ahead of Lajoie)

I totally didn't realize we have Ennis.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Usually I'm not a fan of sarcasm, but yours seems fitting for this situation. I don't really understand why we are hiring these plugs, when we should be playing our youth and allowing them to make mistakes, develop and win.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ok, I feel a tangent coming on, just know it isn't directed at anyone in particular if it gets heated.

I just generally hate the idea of handing roster spots to kids. For one thing, it isn't good hockey management and development. They need to be challenged and not have things given to them. As Torts always says, "learn to respect the league."

The other thing is, I am and will always be on the side of the players. I remember when I was a young nerd who'd never played sports back in 2005 at the lockout, I took the bait hook line and sinker. "These spoiled athletes getting paid millions of dollars to play the game they love, and they're whining for more money". **** that.

I grew up and learned about how the world works, and tried learning some athletic skills myself. Now I have a tremendous amount of respect for athletes and the amount of training and dedication that goes into it, and on the other hand, I realize that the people making the real money, whether in film, music or sports, are the billionaires behind the scenes.

The way the CBA is set up now, it is designed to force veteran depth players out of the league younger than ever, to be replaced by young players on ELCs. I don't know what the solution to this is, but I think considering essentially all GMs and coaches are former players, as much as they want to win first, they would agree with me on giving veterans every opportunity to keep their spots over kids. One of the reasons I had such tremendous respect for Boucher playing the Pyatts and Thompsons of the world.

This narrative I keep seeing that this or that player outright sucks, it's a ****ing joke. No NHL player sucks at hockey. There's a reason they're in the best league in the world. Reframe your language and mindset. Maybe they're hampered by a career of injuries, maybe they've lost a step in their skating, maybe they're overpaid, misused, over-utilized. Then say that. Have some respect for the game you love. People might start to think you're a decent person and that you know what you're talking about. Only other juvenile buffoons appreciate when one juvenile buffoon calls a player "human garbage".

It takes the vast majority of young players a long time to learn the tricks and trade of the veterans in the best league in the world. I like how Torts always puts it, "players need to learn to respect the league, because those top-end players are so smart and they think and see the game so subtly, that when a skilled young player comes in, they know exactly how to bait him into thinking he has a play, only to make him look foolish". Look at some in-depth analytics, particularly on special teams, and you'll clearly see the differences between young players and even mediocre veterans. Look into RelPPGF/60 and RelSHGA/60. It's pretty glaring.

Some may argue that it doesn't matter because we're trying to tank anyway so giving spots to young players makes us worse and they also get more development time, all the better. Ask an Oiler fan how this works out. Development is a fine balance between giving players as much as they can handle to force them to develop, while not putting them in over their heads and risk destroying their confidence and mentality.

Very well put.

You don't just hand things to a kid "because they're highly touted", they have to earn their spot in the lineup. If you teach the kids that NHL playing time is freely handed to them because of their draft ranking, they'll become complacent, and won't develop into regular NHLers properly.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Tkachuk-Anisimov-Boedker
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Brown-Pageau-Gaborik
Ennis-White-Batherson

You’re out to lunch man. Completely forgot about our newly acquired captain and longtime alternate.

Tkachuk Anisimov Batherson

MacArthur White Ryan

Brown Tierney Gaborik

Ennis Pageau Callahan

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
You’re out to lunch man. Completely forgot about our newly acquired captain and longtime alternate.

Tkachuk Anisimov Batherson

MacArthur White Ryan

Brown Tierney Gaborik

Ennis Pageau Callahan
Don't know why you're so salty and abrasive? But I hope you know I wish you well. Whatever is bothering you will go away in time.

I will be thinking of you.

Reactions: Clayonator

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I thjnk this will be the most competitive training camp the sens have ever seen.

Batherson is the only guy i see as a lock to make the team. There will be heavy competition amongst the rest:

Davidsson paul kelly formemton abramov chlapik veronneau brown norris balcers rodewald

Brannstrom jbd jaros wolanin thompson lajoie alsing ebert

going to be exciting.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Usually I'm not a fan of sarcasm, but yours seems fitting for this situation. I don't really understand why we are hiring these plugs, when we should be playing our youth and allowing them to make mistakes, develop and win.
Honestly I don’t mind it. Ennis is a “benchmark” player. He’s been passed around the league now so guys trying to make the team know they need to be a step above him if they want to become full time NHLers. He could also find his game and become an asset at the deadline. IF not he’s easily buried.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Tkachuk-White-Duclair
C. Brown-Anisimov-Batherson
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan
Paul-Pageau-Ennis

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Zaitzev
Lajoie - Hainsey
Boro

Unless they are absolutely unreal in camp, I don't think Brown and Brannstrom start the year in Ottawa.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Going in to this exercise with my "DJ Smith" cap on. Not necessarily what I want to see, but what I expect to see for game 1.

Tkachuk - White - C.Brown
Ennis - Anisimov - Batherson
Duclair - Tierney - Ryan
Paul/Formenton - Pageau - Davidsson/Balcers
Balcers/Paul - Boedkker

Chabot - Demelo/Jaros
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Demelo/Jaros
Borowiecki

Boedkker just doesn't strike me as a DJS player in any capacity and he obviously has no future with this franchise. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get the Zack Smith treatment sometime between the start of training camp and the start of the season.

Hainsey/Zaitsev will get absolutely shelled as the shutdown pair, but I think that was kind of the point of bringing them in (let's the other pairings get the easier/offensive minutes). Boro could throw a wrench in things and end up splitting time with Jaros but I'm going to hold on to the faint hope that he's not going to have the same role under this staff that he has under the last two.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Duclair - anisimov - Ryan
Tierney - pageau - Brown
Boedker - Ennis - Balcers

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Jaros
Boro

Anderson
Nilsson

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Tkachuk-White-Duclair
C. Brown-Anisimov-Batherson
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan
Paul-Pageau-Ennis

Chabot - Demelo
Wolanin - Zaitzev
Lajoie - Hainsey
Boro

Unless they are absolutely unreal in camp, I don't think Brown and Brannstrom start the year in Ottawa.
its lets the kids marinate in Belleville. Move what is possible at the deadline/draft while keeping the core. Promote the kidfs and draft well. Keep the picks we alreadsy have and add to these. Having 5 in the top 60 so far is a great starting point.

In 2020-2021 the kids will come up to play. That's a roster worth looking forward to, especially if we get an impact player next year.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I actually hope we pick up a few vets just to force the kids to season a bit more. Id really like to crack down on the idea that our team is easier to make than others.

Essentially if any kid wants to crack our roster he has to be better than some similarly priced free wallet out there that we could land. Otherwise why rush the prospect? Send him back down until he breaks the door down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad