2019-2020 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
At what point do they just get rid of Kinkaid and call up McNiven? McNiven seems to be shifting around the ECHL a lot and could use a stable situation to develop, while we have no use for Kinkaid at this point.

it's an interesting question, Bouchard had some not so kind words about him going into the start, something to the effect that he wasn't good last game but they aren't worried because he's had some good games for them. So last night likely didn't help matters as Bouchard also came out and said this team needs to make the playoffs as you can see the quote that Adam posted above your post. Goaltending has been a bit of a weakness for this team, certainly the most inconsistent part of the team.

The problem is Primeau has been up and down as well. They clearly have written McNiven off as I highly doubt he'll be back now. That said at some point they may be forced to go with what I suggested when they sent down Kindaid, go back to the 3 goalie rotation they had 2 years ago with Lindgren, McNiven and Fucale. Kindaid can sit most of the time and mentor the 2 young goalies. They had a 3 in 3 which would have fit perfect to get McNiven some games to see what he can do.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
it's an interesting question, Bouchard had some not so kind words about him going into the start, something to the effect that he wasn't good last game but they aren't worried because he's had some good games for them. So last night likely didn't help matters as Bouchard also came out and said this team needs to make the playoffs as you can see the quote that Adam posted above your post. Goaltending has been a bit of a weakness for this team, certainly the most inconsistent part of the team.

The problem is Primeau has been up and down as well. They clearly have written McNiven off as I highly doubt he'll be back now. That said at some point they may be forced to go with what I suggested when they sent down Kindaid, go back to the 3 goalie rotation they had 2 years ago with Lindgren, McNiven and Fucale. Kindaid can sit most of the time and mentor the 2 young goalies. They had a 3 in 3 which would have fit perfect to get McNiven some games to see what he can do.
Well it is not like McNiven is burning th ECHL...

get25

Oct 17, 2015
He's been on 3 teams, he was at one point leading the ECHL in save % but I don't know what kind of defense he's had in front of him on each team.
And he was the best goalie in two of those teams.
Well it makes sense, he might do better than Kinkaid.:ha:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well it is not like McNiven is burning th ECHL...

His stats have been tanked by Norfolk 4 games 0.885 (worst team in league). He was good in Jacksonville for 10 games 0.915 (25/26 team) and great in Aadirondack for 4 games 0.941 (17/26).

He can definitely be a top ECHL goalie in a decent team. He's at worst a decent AHL goalie. I'll be upset if they let him go, unless it is to sign some high profile UDFA (like Galajda)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I still don't get why Hudon is in Laval. The Habs need goals and he has 20 in 34 AHL games. He has more experience than a number of guys in the NHL right now and yet he flounders in the minors. Seems like a situation where the Julien does not really like him so won't play him and he is thus stuck in the AHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I still don't get why Hudon is in Laval. The Habs need goals and he has 20 in 34 AHL games. He has more experience than a number of guys in the NHL right now and yet he flounders in the minors. Seems like a situation where the Julien does not really like him so won't play him and he is thus stuck in the AHL.

He seems to be one of those great in the AHL, meh in the NHL guy. He just can't play the game a couple milliseconds faster.

Think Corey Locke for example.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Hudon is one of those guys that flourishes in the AHL but can't quite cut it in the NHL. He's a tweener.

Thing about scoring goals, Hudon just can't do it at the NHL level. And it's not like he doesn't get chances. He gets breakaways, 2-on-1, shots from the slot. But he doesn't finish at that level. Great that he puts himself in those situations. But he just can't score. And he's okay in other areas. And others who can't score are better in the other areas than him. So they stay in Montreal.

Selfishly, I want him to stay in Laval because a lot of the team's success relies on him.

Reactions: Fenris

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Jason Krog, Keith Aucoin, Corey Locke... ask them why and they will tell you why Hidon isnt in the Nhl.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
How does Laval look for next season?

Barber - Vejdemo - Caufield
Ylonen - Dauphin - Belzile
HarveyPinard - Alain - Hillis
Pezzetta - Teasdale - Fonstad
Lynch, Cox, Jevpalovs, Veilleux, Pelletier, McShane, Verbeek, Houde, Waked

Romanov - Kulak
Ouellet - Brook
Leskinen - Juulsen
Harris, Lamarche, McEney

Primeau - Lindgren - McNiven

Alzner buyout? Evans in MTL? Varone? Gustav Olofsson? Jacob Olofsson? Norlinder?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
How does Laval look for next season?

Barber - Vejdemo - Caufield
Ylonen - Dauphin - Belzile
HarveyPinard - Alain - Hillis
Pezzetta - Teasdale - Fonstad
Lynch, Cox, Jevpalovs, Veilleux, Pelletier, McShane, Verbeek, Houde, Waked

Romanov - Kulak
Ouellet - Brook
Leskinen - Juulsen
Harris, Lamarche, McEney

Primeau - Lindgren - McNiven

Alzner buyout? Evans in MTL? Varone? Gustav Olofsson? Jacob Olofsson? Norlinder?

UFA: Peca, Belzile, Folin, and Varone
RFA: Hudon, Dauphin, Vejdemo, Evans, Waked, Ouellet, Olofsson, Juulsen, and McNiven.

Expiring AHL deals: Jevpalovs, Pelletier, Cox, McEneny, LaCouvee, Lynch, Lamarche, Culkin, Adams-Moisan.

The ones we know under contract next year: Alain, Verbeek, Brook, Primeau, Lindgren, Pezzetta, Alzner, Leskinen, and Teasdale.

Possible additions next year: Ylönen, RHP, Hillis, Houde, McShane, Fonstad, Fairbrother, and Harris.

Hillis, McShane, Houde, ans Fonstad all need to be signed by June 1st or Habs lose their rights. So expect some to not be signed, but I added all of them nonetheless.

As for Romanov and Caufield, if they are signed, I think those two will start in Montreal. So I don't picture them in any potential Laval line-up.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
From an OHL observer and Habs fan, Hillis and McShane are not ready for the jump to the AHL or even the ECHL. One or both will not likely be signed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he's got to get faster, but I don't think Julien is a fan as Hudon's effort defensively isn't always there and we know that doesn't sit well with Julien. But as others have said he could just be another player that is a top AHLer but can't cut it in the NHL. The one thing is he did show he could put up 30 pts in 72 games on a 3rd line.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
he's got to get faster, but I don't think Julien is a fan as Hudon's effort defensively isn't always there and we know that doesn't sit well with Julien. But as others have said he could just be another player that is a top AHLer but can't cut it in the NHL. The one thing is he did show he could put up 30 pts in 72 games on a 3rd line.

That's just it, he did show he could score some points in the NHL when given a little bit of a chance. Not expecting him to be a first line guy but I do think he could provide more than a number of guys that have been called up during all the injuries. Heck I would have preferred Poehling be given Hudon's AHL ice time to allow him to develop and have Hudon in the NHL right about now.

Reactions: montreal

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#24/01/20(Game44:Rocket2-5Americans)

Hudon/Evans/Dauphin(-1)
Peca(-1)/Varone(-1)/Barber(-2)
Alain(1A-1)/Vejdemo(-2)/Jevpalovs(-2)
Pezzetta/Lynch(1G-1)/Cox

Olofsson(1G)/Ouellet
Alzner(-1)/Brook(1A-3)
Leskinen(-1)/Folin(1A)

Kinkaid(30/34)

#25/01/20(Game45:Rocket2-3Devils-SO)

Hudon(1G+1)/Evans(+1)/Cox(1A+1)
Peca/Varone/Barber
Alain(-2)/Vejdemo(-2)/Jevpalovs(-2)
Pezzetta(1A+1)/Dauphin(1G+1)/Lynch(+1)

Olofsson/Ouellet
Alzner(1A)/Brook
Leskinen/Folin

Primeau(29/31)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Marcotte named his mid season awards, it's on nhl.com.

Outstanding Player of the season so far - Hudon. His runner ups were Evans, Alzner, Primeau. I agree with Hudon and Evans for runner up, after that it's tough as Barber, Vejdemo would likely be guys i would look at. Primeau it's tough to name him when he's been so inconsistent.

Best defender - Alzner, runner ups Leskinen, Ouellet, Olofsson. I would lean more towards Olofsson since Alzner is on the 3rd pairing but he has been pretty solid. Leskinen I wouldn't have here since he makes too many mistakes/turnovers. Ouellet is a tough one as he is among the highest for TOI but man can he do some dumb shit from time to time.

Best Rookie - Primeau, runner up Leskinen, Brook. Can't disagree there since there are no other rookies outside of Poehling but he's played only 26 games.

Most Improved - Alain, runner ups Evans, Vejdemo, Cox. I might have gone with Vejdemo here but Alain has been a good bit better then last year. Evans went from 2nd leading scorer to leading scorer so while that's improvement it's not a lot of improvement. Cox shouldn't count since he only played 9 games last year but he's certainly been solid this year.

The 4th Star - Lynch, runners up Cox, Alzner, McEneny, Veilleux.

I have google translate set up on auto but I'm guessing this means hardest working player. Lynch is a good pick, but McEneny has been here for 15 games and Veilleux just 9 so they haven't played enough. I hope to see Veilleux get back in the lineup though, he was doing great for sure.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Marcotte named his mid season awards, it's on nhl.com.

Outstanding Player of the season so far - Hudon. His runner ups were Evans, Alzner, Primeau. I agree with Hudon and Evans for runner up, after that it's tough as Barber, Vejdemo would likely be guys i would look at. Primeau it's tough to name him when he's been so inconsistent.

Best defender - Alzner, runner ups Leskinen, Ouellet, Olofsson. I would lean more towards Olofsson since Alzner is on the 3rd pairing but he has been pretty solid. Leskinen I wouldn't have here since he makes too many mistakes/turnovers. Ouellet is a tough one as he is among the highest for TOI but man can he do some dumb **** from time to time.

Best Rookie - Primeau, runner up Leskinen, Brook. Can't disagree there since there are no other rookies outside of Poehling but he's played only 26 games.

Most Improved - Alain, runner ups Evans, Vejdemo, Cox. I might have gone with Vejdemo here but Alain has been a good bit better then last year. Evans went from 2nd leading scorer to leading scorer so while that's improvement it's not a lot of improvement. Cox shouldn't count since he only played 9 games last year but he's certainly been solid this year.

The 4th Star - Lynch, runners up Cox, Alzner, McEneny, Veilleux.

I have google translate set up on auto but I'm guessing this means hardest working player. Lynch is a good pick, but McEneny has been here for 15 games and Veilleux just 9 so they haven't played enough. I hope to see Veilleux get back in the lineup though, he was doing great for sure.

Usually, 4th Star (4e étoile) refers to a player that is under-appreciated. A player that is instrumental to his team's successes without getting a lot of recognition. Kind of like the Jacques Beauchamp trophy the Canadiens give every year. Danault and Byron have each won 2 over the last 4 years. Gorges and Streit have also won it twice.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad