Prospect Info: 2019-2020 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
On the outside looking in, doesn't really make sense for Carolina to move to a different affiliate, but who knows what's really going on.
First thing that came to my mind was money. Wolves have owners that spend money on the team (also probably the reason why they haven't been developing many players to the NHL), so that's a few 100-350k AHL veterans off the NHL team's payroll.

Reactions: Rahooji

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Sounds like Hutsko is staying in college...

Still need to sign Finkelstein and Bachman if we want to keep either of them; with everybody else we have time (though I expect us to sign at least some of the group of Ludvig, Schwindt, Meireles and Wedman).

Believe Maine's Patrick Shea also fits into that category but I haven't heard anything to suggest he will receive anything more than an AHL deal.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We didn't make offers to our 2019 6th and 7th round picks Meireles and Wedman. Not the end of the world, but a waste of two draft picks.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@violaswallet , little surprised Meireles didn't get a contract.
Would have preferred his offensive skills over Cliff Pu who is 21 as well, both right hand shots.
They are 6th and 7th round picks, both over-agers, not too worried about it.
You would have signed one or both?

Our AHL team should get a good infusion of rookies next year, definitely going to watch some games.
Denisenko is likely to start in AHL, should replace some of the offense Tippett provided.
I'm excited to see Luostarinen, he's hopefully a 3/4C version of Barkov down the road.
Noel is making his pro debut, curious how he handles not being a man among boys in the OHL.

Abols had decent numbers, 7 goals and 23pts in 36 games in mostly a bottom 6 C role.
Heponiemi has to post better numbers after a year of "humble pie"?,
Gildon and Ludvig coming in, both have some snarl, hoping Bednard gets a shot in goal as backup.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
@violaswallet , little surprised Meireles didn't get a contract.
Would have preferred his offensive skills over Cliff Pu who is 21 as well, both right hand shots.
They are 6th and 7th round picks, both over-agers, not too worried about it.
You would have signed one or both?

Our AHL team should get a good infusion of rookies next year, definitely going to watch some games.
Denisenko is likely to start in AHL, should replace some of the offense Tippett provided.
I'm excited to see Luostarinen, he's hopefully a 3/4C version of Barkov down the road.
Noel is making his pro debut, curious how he handles not being a man among boys in the OHL.

Abols had decent numbers, 7 goals and 23pts in 36 games in mostly a bottom 6 C role.
Heponiemi has to post better numbers after a year of "humble pie"?,
Gildon and Ludvig coming in, both have some snarl, hoping Bednard gets a shot in goal as backup.
Eh, not too sure: I agree the issue is that we are a bit deep: we have forward depth as you said.

I'm more just frustrated about the bad resource management: we tossed away two picks in a year on overagers when we knew we had two much depth. Would have rather we tried to pick some long-term projects instead.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I liked both. Maybe they have other plans for those contracts? Like Artyom Sergeyev? Anyone know how many contracts we have? I mean they were borderline to get signed, but I thought they both would be.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Weird. Wedman had a very meh season but Meireles at least has earned a contract IMO, I could see him as a do-it-all bottom 6 guy. It's 6th and 7th round picks but still.

Maybe we give him an AHL contract? More likely another team signs him to an ELC...

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Eh, not too sure: I agree the issue is that we are a bit deep: we have forward depth as you said.

I'm more just frustrated about the bad resource management: we tossed away two picks in a year on overagers when we knew we had two much depth. Would have rather we tried to pick some long-term projects instead.

Agreed. With them being over-agers at the point they were drafted, if you're going to use picks on them, you better be somewhat sure of them at least being AHL guys by the next season. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the stoppage and trying to cut down on spending, but it doesn't make much sense.

I mean, if they didnt earn a contract, then fine...but just more examples of poor drafting/asset management when it really comes down to it.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Ehh, I think you guys are rating the later round picks too highly, or at least picking players in their draft year. Yes, occasionally teams find gems there, but most of the time those guys have a marginal chance of making the NHL, or even be AHL regulars.

I actually like picking overagers in the later rounds, although I would prefer for it to focus on European players. Easier to project development when they're already 2-3 years into it.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Ehh, I think you guys are rating the later round picks too highly, or at least picking players in their draft year. Yes, occasionally teams find gems there, but most of the time those guys have a marginal chance of making the NHL, or even be AHL regulars.

I actually like picking overagers in the later rounds, although I would prefer for it to focus on European players. Easier to project development when they're already 2-3 years into it.

Fair enough. My argument is this: we are essentially betting on upside or a small probability event happening. This is more likely if we have their rights for a while, which is why I like college or European players.

It could be that we declined for financial reasons: the team is likely to lose a lot of money the next two years (Although perhaps less than other teams with more gate revenue)….

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I feel like money has a huge part to play in this. Everyone's losing money right now, Hockey and non hockey. Maybe in other years they would have taken their chances and gave one of them a contract, but not in these times.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I feel like money has a huge part to play in this. Everyone's losing money right now, Hockey and non hockey. Maybe in other years they would have taken their chances and gave one of them a contract, but not in these times.

Could be it, and it probably is. We could all be overrating them also. Maybe they only had plans to give Miereles or Wedman a contract if either of them had a big season, which neither of them did.

Reactions: Cold Cat

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
You guys think Pat Shea will sign here? I follow his YouTube channel. Checked his stats and not sure if he provides more than just what's on the scoresheet.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
One of the top D-men in CHL? This prospect could be Flyers' biggest sleeper

OT- a Flyers Prospect, but obviously I was raving about my cousin and that the Panthers should take him last draft. Pretty good things to say about a fourth round pick here. Naturally the Panthers had the pick after he was selected. I like to think they traded the pick as soon as he was off the board.

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
To no one's surprise, Spencer Knight has been invited to the WJC USA summer camp.

No other Panther Prospect was invited from Team USA or Canada.

I assume Ludvig is too old?

What about Schwindt? I'm surprised he didn't earn at least an invite after the season he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad