Prospect Info: 2019-2020 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
A good #1 goalie is much more valuable than almost any skater though. I mean Newhook is great, but he isn't gonna be a top 10 player. The Panthers made a smart pick there. Knight was clearly a standout at his position, the best goalie prospect in years. They took the standout instead of drafting a bunch of goalies in later rounds and wasting picks. Maybe that was Tallon's plan for the goaltending all along, to wait for a draft like that where there was a superstar rated very highly.

I mean anything can happen with goalies, but it's hard to imagine Knight not becoming at least an average #1.
Agreed. I hope he will become a star but I feel very comfortable saying he will be a #1 at the minimum

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
News from Springfield today or yesterday. The AHL team signed a 5 Year Contract with the St.Louis Blues. Will be interisting which new Team the Panthers will choose.

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
News from Springfield today or yesterday. The AHL team signed a 5 Year Contract with the St.Louis Blues. Will be interisting which new Team the Panthers will choose.
It’s not a question of who they choose. If the Hurricanes decide to stay stay in Charlotte it will be the Chicago Wolves. In other words it’s the Canes doing the choosing.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Obviously goalies are hard to predict but I have to say, up to this point, Knight's season really couldn't have gone much better.

On a different topic, Ludvig is back after being out for about ten days. Read a rumor about him having a concussion which is never good, but whatever it was, he had a strong first game back: 6 SOG , +2 in a 5-4 OT win, had an assist on the 4-4 tying goal with 22 seconds left in the 3rd and then another assist on the OT winning goal. 60 points in 59 games now.

Schwindt with the lone goal in a 5-1 loss.

Kolyachonok had a goal and was 1st star in a 4-3 win.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
The Kitchener - Windsor game was on Sportsnet today. Unfortunately I only caught the last half of the Third. Meireles set up the winner on the five on 3 PP, but he also had a goal.

The announcers were saying possibly the player of the game was Noel. Even though he had no points, he was a force all game supposedly.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Springfield won 4-1. 1g 1a each for Priskie, Abols and Martel.

Glad to see that Priskie and Abols are signed through next season and still RFA status. I think both could see time with the main roster.

Would be nice to re-sign Martel as well, he’s a pretty consistent AHL guy and good depth call up.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Denisenko with a goal yesterday in a 4-2 win (his 1st point in these playoffs; scored the tying goal to make it 2-2). Series was 3-0, now 3-2.

Would be nice if he got more icetime rather than nine minutes per game...

Thats the only problem with leagues like the khl and sel. Even top 10 prospects in this year's draft Lucas Raymond and Alex Holtz only get a few minutes per game in sel.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Dont know how much since will influence a lot of European Leagues, some Leagues consider to stop their League from playing to stop the Virus spreading around. German Hockey Season in all Leagues are over, maybe more to come around EU.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So after struggling a bit and then being suspended 5 games for a questionable hit, Meireles is back with vengeance - a goal and an assist in a 3-2 win on Tuesday, followed by a hattrick and three assists in a 7-4 win on Wednesday; 1st star of both games. Curious to see how he does next year in the AHL. Noel also had a goal in the game.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
So everything's cancelled / postponed. Is there any of the Panthers prospects still playing? I thought I heard that KHL is still in operation?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
So everything's cancelled / postponed. Is there any of the Panthers prospects still playing? I thought I heard that KHL is still in operation?
Liiga is playing the remaining regular season games (most teams had two left, now one) in empty arenas and then playoffs won't start next week. They'll probably end up postponing the playoffs too.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
A good #1 goalie is much more valuable than almost any skater though. I mean Newhook is great, but he isn't gonna be a top 10 player. The Panthers made a smart pick there. Knight was clearly a standout at his position, the best goalie prospect in years. They took the standout instead of drafting a bunch of goalies in later rounds and wasting picks. Maybe that was Tallon's plan for the goaltending all along, to wait for a draft like that where there was a superstar rated very highly.

I mean anything can happen with goalies, but it's hard to imagine Knight not becoming at least an average #1.
Dat bob contract though. Holy hell, what do we do with him?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Dat bob contract though. Holy hell, what do we do with him?
Lines up well for timing if Bob didn't play terribly this season. I anticipated that Bob would be a top 5 goalie for say the next 4 years and declined. If that happened, Knight would have had 2-3 years in colleges and 1-2 in the AHL. Bring him up year 5 and gradually transition to starter. If after year 5 Knight is the guy, trade Bob. The beauty is that a) the cap increases so 1oM would be less important and b) Knight would be relatively cost controlled, so the sum on goaltending would be like 12M for the entire time, which is not too terrible

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah I look at it as, Knight spends another year in college. Then spends at least a year in ahl. That brings him to 2022. Then, are we gonna just hand him the starting role? No. He fights with Bobrovsky for a year or two. That brings us to 2024, which is year 5 of Bob. After that, a Bob buyout would be cheap, or a trade would be easy. Or, if Bob maintains a decent level of play, it's a reasonable deal for a 1B.

Reactions: Cold Cat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->