2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ACA 5 SMU 2 (EN)

A better game from SMU, but the same result as Thursday night. Brassard was better tonight and could only be faulted on maybe 1 goal. SMU had 48 shots which is indicative of the level of effort. Flodell was very solid; a lot of the shots were quality shots and he was up to the task. I wasn't tracking ice time, but it appeared that Harper didn't get a lot. No new faces in the lineup for ACA and both McClellan and McNulty did not play. I don't know what the time frame is for bringing players in, but ACA still has 2 open spots. Zipp and Stollard did not dress.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
No new faces in the lineup for ACA and both McClellan and McNulty did not play. I don't know what the time frame is for bringing players in, but ACA still has 2 open spots. Zipp and Stollard did not dress.

According to the AUS playing regulations for the winter term the player must be on campus and in classes by January 15th to be eligible.

Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Went to Montreal to Habs game tonight so haven’t watched the game yet. What did he do?

Just running around more concerned with hurting someone than playing hockey. Took a double minor in the 2nd period and then when he came out of the box he immediately went at Hall. When that didn’t work he laid out LeBlanc with a cheap shot to the head behind the play....couldn’t tell if it was a shoulder or elbow. The refs somehow missed it but at least LeBlanc seemed to be ok as I’m pretty sure he stayed in the game.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just running around more concerned with hurting someone than playing hockey. Took a double minor in the 2nd period and then when he came out of the box he immediately went at Hall. When that didn’t work he laid out LeBlanc with a cheap shot to the head behind the play....couldn’t tell if it was a shoulder or elbow. The refs somehow missed it but at least LeBlanc seemed to be ok as I’m pretty sure he stayed in the game.
You know he is out there being an idiot when even the home town commentators calling the game are saying that if he is not thrown out, that Peddle should not put him back in the game. I have no idea how two (actually four) officials missed that hit on LeBlanc. I am sure that some video will be submitted for review on that one.

The video is up, so I have no doubt that UNB will be sending the video in for review, Leblanc didn't even see it coming, Cuomo blindsided him with an elbow. Again, there is a linesman standing right there and the back ref had an unobstructed view, so I have no idea how there was no call on the play. I am not sure if Hall said something, other than a shove, not sure what his misconduct was for.

I do agree, the third period was played without any shenanigans, which I was shocked.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The linesman can only tell the referee after a whistle about what he saw. In the case of an elbow, it would need to be a major penalty. At least, that's the way I interpret the rules. I haven't seen the video and I won't. I'll have to take the word of UNB guys on this. :sarcasm:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
The linesman can only tell the referee after a whistle about what he saw. In the case of an elbow, it would need to be a major penalty. At least, that's the way I interpret the rules. I haven't seen the video and I won't. I'll have to take the word of UNB guys on this. :sarcasm:
Yes, a linesman can only inform the ref about a penalty, there are only a few penalties that he is able to inform him about, not all have to be majors, head contact falls under that one. Regardless, it was a missed call but I am sure that it will be up for video review.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
You know he is out there being an idiot when even the home town commentators calling the game are saying that if he is not thrown out, that Peddle should not put him back in the game. I have no idea how two (actually four) officials missed that hit on LeBlanc. I am sure that some video will be submitted for review on that one.

The video is up, so I have no doubt that UNB will be sending the video in for review, Leblanc didn't even see it coming, Cuomo blindsided him with an elbow. Again, there is a linesman standing right there and the back ref had an unobstructed view, so I have no idea how there was no call on the play. I am not sure if Hall said something, other than a shove, not sure what his misconduct was for.

I do agree, the third period was played without any shenanigans, which I was shocked.
The best part was the audible sigh by the colour guy the next time Comeau took the ice, after he was lambasted by both of them.

Maybe I should try that ... much more subtle and effective than one of my normal on air rants (where I am trying to stay out of trouble at the same time!).

Reactions: Prov1X

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
The last meeting between the Red Army and the Axe, might be the one to decide home ice in a potential AUS final. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Acadia has an extra home game vs UNB?
Acadia is much improved, especially in nets. Since they captured bronze in 2016, it's been a roller coaster between the pipes.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ACA is currently 2-1 on UNB. They play in UNB Jan 17 and they have a 5th game at home Jan 31. That last game could very well determine home ice. UNB has a game in hand and anything can happen.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I see that Marcus Cuomo has been given a 1 game suspension from video review. Assume that it was from the hit on Leblanc Saturday night

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I see that Marcus Cuomo has been given a 1 game suspension from video review. Assume that it was from the hit on Leblanc Saturday night
There should be some sort of consequences for officials when they totally miss a blatant penalty, as in this case. They are being paid for working the games, and should be at least required to explain/report to AUC coaches why they missed obvious calls. And then dock their pay if they are found guilty of a screwup.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I didn't see the play, so I can't say if it was blatant or not. If it was, then the linesman has a responsibility to report it to the referee. If the linesman didn't think it was a major penalty AND if the referee didn't see the infraction, then there is nothing that can be done except sent in the video. Which apparently has happened.

So, in the end, justice has been served.

Move on.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looking at the box score of the ACA-DAL game I see that both McClellan and McNulty dressed for the game. That puts ACA at the 22 skater mark, meaning that there will be no new players.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
IMO, outside of a first half win in Antigonish, ST FX have been frustrated playing UNB. It's bound to happen after numerous lopsided scores, including 9-1 in Lethbridge. They were outshot 17-1 in the second period of the 6-2 loss last weekend, get the point! Get over it folks!

Reactions: AUS Fan

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X with a much needed 2-1 win over Acadia. A good, close, physical battle between a team riding a 7 game win streak and another that had lost 3 straight. Acadia 2 pts up on UNB, but the Reds do have a couple games in hand.
UNB 11 UPEI 0. I would not want to be on that bus tonite! If there was one positive to take away from this game, it's the fact that UPEI has a few days off, before they get to play UNB again.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU-DAL: Not a lot to talk about. DAL looked a bit sluggish after their Thursday night game at ACA. SMU fired 48 shots at Pickard, scoring 3 times on the PP.
Despite the shutout, Brassard didn't rate a Star. Perhaps it wasn't as great Parenteau's.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Stieny and Peds both get Game Misconducts from the end of Saturday's game. 1 game suspension for Peds and 2 for Stieny, as it's his 2nd GM this year.

This all came about because of an "altercation" at the horn when Spears mixed it up with DiPerna. Score was 5-1 SMU. What Spears did was uncalled for. Both teams did a lackluster, abbreviated handshake and while that was going on, the 2 coaches were yelling at each other by the SFX bench.

I did see the assistants kind of "step around" those 2 in order to shake hands with their counterparts.

A very spirited and animated "discussion" by both coaches.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Stieny and Peds both get Game Misconducts from the end of Saturday's game. 1 game suspension for Peds and 2 for Stieny, as it's his 2nd GM this year.

This all came about because of an "altercation" at the horn when Spears mixed it up with DiPerna. Score was 5-1 SMU. What Spears did was uncalled for. Both teams did a lackluster, abbreviated handshake and while that was going on, the 2 coaches were yelling at each other by the SFX bench.

I did see the assistants kind of "step around" those 2 in order to shake hands with their counterparts.

Just watched it on the archives. Didn't seem suspension worthy to me.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I’d make a comment about X starting something when they are getting blown out, but I feel like that’s almost expected at this point.

On another note, I noticed Maskaant picked up his third contact to the head penalty on Friday night and, as a result, was given a one game suspension. This means he is now suspended for the ACA/UNB game this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad