2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not a big fan of the plus/minus in this league considering that they add a +1 to a guy that was on the ice for a PP goal more than often (link below). Also, for Pomerleau, yes he's +14 but he's in UNB. They scored 85 goals (27 PP - 2PK) and allowed 37 (15 PK - 2PP) which leads to 56 GF - 20GA at 5v5. So considering he's playing 20', that's 18GF-6GA approx +12 (which is pretty closed to the +14). So playing "well" based on the +/- is a false affirmation., he's just average in his team.

How can he be +4 ? :
Moncton at UNB - October 11, 2019 - 7:00 PM - Box Score - Atlantic University Sport (AUS)

He was on the ice for all four goals scored is my guess? One of those goals was a SH and you do get a + (or -) for those.

Having said that, Pomerleau was definitely a bit of a strange choice. Personally, if it had to be a UNB player, I would’ve have chosen LeBlanc.

While I agree the AUS +/- stat is a bit wonky at times, I believe the box scores eventually get corrected to reflect the true stars. They are a bit of a mess right after a game though.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Isn’t the team chosen very early in the season? So guys who are having breakout years may not have been a candidate in September.

Plus, there are financial reasons to consider. Does the player or school foot the bill for this?

I believe it's the coach and players' who have to cover the costs - most receive assistance from their respective programs. For the coach, based on last year's High Performance Application, the cost was $900 to USPORTS and your plane ticket. I couldn't track down the per-player fee, but probably $400-500 plus your plane ticket.

The fees cover "Ground Transportation, Meals, Accommodations, Team Kit, Ice Rentals and Suppliers"

Link to last year's application: link

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
Yes - I would have taken Lebanc over Pomerleau, if he could go.

He's a safe choice - maybe a 'work in progress' for Gardiner (building up skill an experience going into the second half).

Love it. I mean, what a league; allowing a coach a favor like this. Pomerleau is far from being in the top 6 USPORTS D-men and everyone knows that.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Very short fuse based on what ?
That spearing major against UNB late last season that cost him several game? The stick penalties he's taken this year?

So at the end, is the "best" team ? No.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Everyone's comments about Pomerleau are valid, but Gardiner has proved in the past that he can put together select teams and wins tournaments.

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
That spearing major against UNB late last season that cost him several game? The stick penalties he's taken this year?

We'll have to agree to disagree. Everyone's comments about Pomerleau are valid, but Gardiner has proved in the past that he can put together select teams and wins tournaments.

Marcus McIvor (who was on the 18-19 edition) had a 2 games suspension before heading to the All-Star Game, which is one less than Max St-Cyr. I guess that makes him a criminal with his 45 penalty minutes in career.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Not a big fan of the plus/minus in this league considering that they add a +1 to a guy that was on the ice for a PP goal more than often (link below). Also, for Pomerleau, yes he's +14 but he's in UNB. They scored 85 goals (27 PP - 2PK) and allowed 37 (15 PK - 2PP) which leads to 56 GF - 20GA at 5v5. So considering he's playing 20', that's 18GF-6GA approx +12 (which is pretty closed to the +14). So playing "well" based on the +/- is a false affirmation., he's just average in his team.

How can he be +4 ? :
Moncton at UNB - October 11, 2019 - 7:00 PM - Box Score - Atlantic University Sport (AUS)

Very short fuse based on what ?

And for Headrick and Kielly, if I was building a team, I would take those guys 10million times before Simpson and Pomerleau. You look at those guys and they're everywhere on ice. Same for Deslauriers in Moncton. But I agree, I would take Goulet over Johnson anytime tho.

So at the end, is the "best" team ? No.
Simpson has been to several pro camps, he also is a big reason why UNB has won 3 out of the last 4 University Cups. Played a big role in all of them. He easily makes a CIS all star team!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The CIS All Star selection isn't all about points; certain guys bring certain skills. Simpson is very good on the PK, as is Johnson from SMU. As someone mentioned, the 1st and 2nd year guys don't get invited. It's kind of a reward to the older guys.
Could they have taken Kielly over Bennett? Sure, they could. Someone from ACA? Yup. But it's Gardiner's team and he will pick his guys. I don't have a big issue with that as most of these guys are interchangeable.
I like the current format over what was previously done. Weaker OUA and CW teams have not fared well.
Speaking from experience being in Turin in 2007, I would think that being on this team would be a highlight to a lot of these players in their CIS career.
I'm not wearing a SMU hat; I'm wearing a AUS/CIS hat.

But, that's just me.....

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The USports team pretty much dominated the Team Canada teenagers over two games, playing the style of hockey Gardiner MacDougall likes: speed, hard on the puck, relentless forechecking and agressive penalty killing. Kris Bennett was probably the best player on the ice for the two games plus overtimes. I guess the coaches knew what they were doing when they picked this team.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
TC has 2 weeks before the tournament starts. Lots of time to figure it out. They had guys who didn't play either game due to injury. They may get a player or 2 from NHL teams. Good job by the CIS guys in both games. These games Are for the benefit of TC and I'm sure their coaching staff will have things to work on.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
I was surprised Soustal from lakehead didn't make it has had a very good year scoring clutch goals and killing penalties but i don't expect us to get much recognition till the team improves

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I like it. Good sightlines from most of the seats, well lit. Canteen services is Meh, but not the fault of the arena. Dressing rooms are very nice with both men and women identical set up. Adequate parking. One drawback is being in southend Halifax. Harder to get to than the Forum. Overall, a long time coming and a welcome addition to campus.

Reactions: Rob

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
UPEI has already made a big move with the Brassard addition. I wonder what Acadia/SMU/X do?

I'd have to assume SMU is done unless Alexandar Peters is out for the season other than maybe a goalie. They've used 21 skaters already and hard to imagine they'd find a better replacement in the available recruits.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'd have to assume SMU is done unless Alexandar Peters is out for the season other than maybe a goalie. They've used 21 skaters already and hard to imagine they'd find a better replacement in the available recruits.

Good point, I never thought to look at where everyone is with regards to the cap. I believe Acadia and X have some room though.

EDIT - They have each dressed 20 skaters this season from what I can tell.

Last edited:

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Good point, I never thought to look at where everyone is with regards to the cap. I believe Acadia and X have some room though.

EDIT - They have each dressed 20 skaters this season from what I can tell.

Skaters Used by School so far:

Acadia - 20 used
Dal - 22 used
Moncton - 19 used
SMU - 21 used plus Peters who has not having played yet
STFX - 20 used
UNB - 19 used plus Hall offically added
UPEI - 20 plus Brassard officially added

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
UdeM has two additions for second half. Noel back for fifth year and an offensive tier two addition.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UPEI with the win at SMU on Thursday night. Brassard was Not Sharp at all. UPEI scored 3 in the 1st, SMU tied in the 2nd, gave up 2 and got 2, for a 7 goal period. UPEI scored early in the 3rd and added an EN. SMU is off to ACA tonight. Have not seen any info on "new" recruits for the Axe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->