2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Anyone know why X goalie Joseph Raaymakers was suspended a game? I checked the box score from their loss to Acadia and it only shows him getting a 2min roughing penalty.

The AUS Discipline thingy just shows Video Review and a 1 game suspension. 15 November.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
If I am Dal coach I am disgusted by the total lack of effort of my team last night. Unb played well but to me, a Dal team that may never be as talented but always shows up and makes you work hard didn’t show up. They played like they didn’t care and got spanked as a result.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They are missing some key players no doubt - and are playing short handed - but I am not sure they have adequately replaced the skill and talent of the guys they have lost over the last couple of years.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Hicks and Resop are dressed tonight, might be trouble brewing in DAL HQ.

Could very well be the same thing that has plagued Pickard going back to his days in the Q. I won’t post about it here because it isn’t the place but this isn’t the first time he’s had outbursts like that and then not played games as a result.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
No Welsh, DiPerna, Peters, Brassard, or Theede tonight for SMU. Could be a rough night for them.

Never saw the incident, but apparently some suspensions from Moncton game last night.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Well Peters has been out for the entire half with an injury, back after Christmas. I saw DiPerna and Theede get the gate in last night's game. Not sure for what, other than misconducts. Welsh and Brassard I know nothing.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Welch and DiPerna each with a 1 game suspension: - (Welsh - Interference, Game Misconduct, DiPerna - Hit to Head, Game Misconduct) Both from UdeM game.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Did not see any games this weekend, but Acadia over UNB draws my attention.
UNB outshoots the Axemen 42-27 but loses a 3-2 decision in Wolfville.. Entering the break, UNB trails Acadia by 2 pts with a game in hand. At this point, Acadia is a much improved hockey team and is as good or better than the one that knocked of Alberta in the 2017 University cup (Fredericton).
Both teams have separated themselves from the rest of the pack, and are in the drivers seat to win a first round playoff bye. It's safe to say that this years UCup will be more competitive than last years. No gimme games, such as Alberta's easy game against Lethbridge last year.
As for UNB, certainly no reason for panic, as they have outscored the competition 28-5 in the last 4 games, including the loss in Acadia.
It will be interesting to see, if both teams are active on the recruiting trail during the break.
SMU are a tough one to figure out??

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
With all the hype around the world juniors, how can TSN not find a way to put the Juniors vs. CIS All-Stars game on TV? Even TSN18 or whatever, just to give people a chance to see it...maybe they are too afraid the beloved Juniors will love against some washed up University guys.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
With all the hype around the world juniors, how can TSN not find a way to put the Juniors vs. CIS All-Stars game on TV? Even TSN18 or whatever, just to give people a chance to see it...maybe they are too afraid the beloved Juniors will love against some washed up University guys.
Check the TSN app. I have been surprised many a time by the bonus coverage they offer.

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
This USPORTS roster makes no sense. How come Alberta/UNB have 10 players combined ? I'm following the AUS and I don't understand why guys like St-Cyr (goal leader last year in the entire USports) / Kielly (NHL camp) / Digiacinto / Headrick / Macfadden, etc. aren't going.

Pomerleau (UNB) has 6 points this year, are you kidding me ? Headrick has 20 (in PEI).

Simpson with 14 points (in UNB) , 11 behind St-Cyr who's playing in the lowest goal scoring team.

Ah, politics.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This USPORTS roster makes no sense. How come Alberta/UNB have 10 players combined ? I'm following the AUS and I don't understand why guys like St-Cyr (goal leader last year in the entire USports) / Kielly (NHL camp) / Digiacinto / Headrick / Macfadden, etc. aren't going.

Pomerleau (UNB) has 6 points this year, are you kidding me ? Headrick has 20 (in PEI).

Simpson with 14 points (in UNB) , 11 behind St-Cyr who's playing in the lowest goal scoring team.

Ah, politics.
Yes, politics are no doubt a factor. The coaches trust their own guys. There might be even more UNB and Alberta guys on the team if it wasn't capped at a maximum of 5 players from one school.

Don't forget they're building a team. Simpson is a shut-down centre, a big body, who is very good on faceoffs and the penalty kill. You can't say that about St-Cyr (who also has a very short fuse). Pomerleau is a very good defenceman: he's a +14 while Headrick, with many more points as you point out, is only +5. Keilly might be 6th in scoring, but only +1; UNB's Alex Goulet is tied for 7th in scoring with Stephen Johnson (who is going) and a +12, but he didn't make the team.

The coaches pick a team to have four lines of forwards, three pairs of D, and PP and PK guys. Guys have to fit roles, and can't all just be goal scorers.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Also worth adding that these players are student athletes and some have academic requirements that may not support leaving town for 5 days. I've known some UNB players in the past who have turned down the offer - we only hear of the players who are attending, I know there is a group of 1st round'ers who decline the invitation. I suspect some of the declines are replaced with coach's choice (from his own team, when possible).

This team could be the top 2 lines from UNB & Alberta and it would probably be too good for the Jr's.

It's also a showcase for some of the USPORTs guys, so coach is going to get is best prospects into the game if they can.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Isn’t the team chosen very early in the season? So guys who are having breakout years may not have been a candidate in September.

Plus, there are financial reasons to consider. Does the player or school foot the bill for this?

Reactions: Drummer

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
Yes, politics are no doubt a factor. The coaches trust their own guys. There might be even more UNB and Alberta guys on the team if it wasn't capped at a maximum of 5 players from one school.

Don't forget they're building a team. Simpson is a shut-down centre, a big body, who is very good on faceoffs and the penalty kill. You can't say that about St-Cyr (who also has a very short fuse). Pomerleau is a very good defenceman: he's a +14 while Headrick, with many more points as you point out, is only +5. Keilly might be 6th in scoring, but only +1; UNB's Alex Goulet is tied for 7th in scoring with Stephen Johnson (who is going) and a +12, but he didn't make the team.

The coaches pick a team to have four lines of forwards, three pairs of D, and PP and PK guys. Guys have to fit roles, and can't all just be goal scorers.

Not a big fan of the plus/minus in this league considering that they add a +1 to a guy that was on the ice for a PP goal more than often (link below). Also, for Pomerleau, yes he's +14 but he's in UNB. They scored 85 goals (27 PP - 2PK) and allowed 37 (15 PK - 2PP) which leads to 56 GF - 20GA at 5v5. So considering he's playing 20', that's 18GF-6GA approx +12 (which is pretty closed to the +14). So playing "well" based on the +/- is a false affirmation., he's just average in his team.

How can he be +4 ? :
Moncton at UNB - October 11, 2019 - 7:00 PM - Box Score - Atlantic University Sport (AUS)

You can't say that about St-Cyr (who also has a very short fuse).

Very short fuse based on what ?

And for Headrick and Kielly, if I was building a team, I would take those guys 10million times before Simpson and Pomerleau. You look at those guys and they're everywhere on ice. Same for Deslauriers in Moncton. But I agree, I would take Goulet over Johnson anytime tho.

So at the end, is the "best" team ? No.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad