2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still think Toronto is pretty well set up to do some damage at some point in the next few years. They need Tavares to age gracefully and one of their young defenceman to become a really good top-4 defender.

They are too imbalanced to really make an impact IMO. They need a pretty bold move to re-shuffle the deck a bit. The second they signed Tavares, they had a strong 2 year window that they needed to take advantage of. Now they are going to be tasked with either losing top players, paying them towards the end or their prime, or severely lacking depth. They are certainly going to lose Barrie and Ceci... and no matter what people think of them, they are losing 2 NHL defensemen and will be immediately relying on youth... which is incredibly risky. Then the next season they either have to pay Andersen a couple million more, as he is aging out of his prime... or take a large step back at goalie (and certainly losing their Swiss Army Knife in Hyman). It doesn't end their though... the next season Rielly is going to be due a $5m raise, and if Sandin works out to what they need him to be, he'll be due a $5m raise.

To me... they should be looking straight at dealing Marner and getting a King's ransom for him. They could rebuild their defense and depth in one fell swoop.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
They are too imbalanced to really make an impact IMO. They need a pretty bold move to re-shuffle the deck a bit. The second they signed Tavares, they had a strong 2 year window that they needed to take advantage of. Now they are going to be tasked with either losing top players, paying them towards the end or their prime, or severely lacking depth. They are certainly going to lose Barrie and Ceci... and no matter what people think of them, they are losing 2 NHL defensemen and will be immediately relying on youth... which is incredibly risky. Then the next season they either have to pay Andersen a couple million more, as he is aging out of his prime... or take a large step back at goalie (and certainly losing their Swiss Army Knife in Hyman). It doesn't end their though... the next season Rielly is going to be due a $5m raise, and if Sandin works out to what they need him to be, he'll be due a $5m raise.

To me... they should be looking straight at dealing Marner and getting a King's ransom for him. They could rebuild their defense and depth in one fell swoop.

I think that would be a shrewd move.

A lot of what happens with that team is going to come down to Sandin and Liljegren. If those guys can become top-4 defenders in a hurry that will be key, if they are just meh NHL defenceman, they’ll likely remain stagnant.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Hi.

I am a Kings fan who lives in the Northern most part of Idaho so I get Avs as my home team for some reason on tv so I watch what I can when I can. You have a really solid team and I think you are knocking on the door for sure. So I am posting in regards to a conversation that I was in recently and it was something like this; would the avs move Bowen B for the 2nd overall pick in this years draft?
Just a thought and there might need an add from either side or it might just be a bad idea overall but I thought I would ask you guys.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Avs getting Stutzle... yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat. I doubt Sakic would as Byram projects to help the Avs next season and the soonest Stutzle could help is 21-22.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yeah, I think that's what's going to have to happen. They can't keep a team this top-heavy and expect to be a legit contender going forward. That D just isn't good enough.

They also need to move on from Freddy. He's good, talented, but nowhere near consistent enough to be a legit franchise goalie, and they continually ask way too much out of him.

For everyone slagging Dubas for his "Dubias" cap management, some of you seem to forget he was handed an absolute mess and had to take some extreme measures in order to clear room and dump a couple really horrible contracts. I don't think he's been perfect by any means, but Lou Lamoriello, for all his savvy as a GM in the pre-cap era, seems shockingly bad at managing salaries, which I thought would be a strength of his since he always dealt with limited budgets in NJ.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Avs getting Stutzle... yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat. I doubt Sakic would as Byram projects to help the Avs next season and the soonest Stutzle could help is 21-22.

Personally I'd keep Byram. With Newhook coming soon from that deep draft, defense is more of a position of need for the Avs.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Personally I'd keep Byram. With Newhook coming soon from that deep draft, defense is more of a position of need for the Avs.

Agree with this. The timeline of Byram/Newhook is more in line with what the Avs need, and we know both are close to ready.

Reactions: ricardfromage

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Take your own advice man! :sarcasm:

< Looks at roster

Yup Graves is still listed. :sarcasm:

Stutzle has superstar level talent in his game. Potentially having a 95 point center to back up MacKinnon is too enticing. Plus Avs have Girard, Makar, and Timmins. 2 of them established as top pairing quality and young.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
< Looks at roster

Yup Graves is still listed. :sarcasm:

40mP.gif

Girard is not a top pairing defenseman

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Agreed. People talk about trading Nylander all the time but they have to keep their (rare) good contracts.

Trading Marner is their get out of cap hell card...we'll see if Dubas has the balls to do it.

If Laf ends up in Arizona though that could change things.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
40mP.gif

Girard is not a top pairing defenseman

But he is tho
Agreed. People talk about trading Nylander all the time but they have to keep their (rare) good contracts.

Trading Marner is their get out of cap hell card...we'll see if Dubas has the balls to do it.

If Laf ends up in Arizona though that could change things.

I think Dubas will end up moving Nylander because he doesn't want to move Marner, but has to move somebody with value.

I'm not sure if Arizona would swap Lafs and Matthews even if offered.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think I'd lean towards keeping Byram as well, but if we moved him we'd still have a top 4 of Graves/Makar + Girard/Timmins. Byram's PP proficiency is also somewhat redundant with Makar and Girard on the team.

Newhook and Stutzle on the 2nd line would be a lot of fun to watch though, so it's awfully tempting.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he moves Marner. He made a verbal promise to Nylander not to move him, he made no such pledge to Marner.

And yes, I know, I know, verbal promises don't mean spit in the end, but I imagine Dubas will want to honor his word. Also, he'd get a lot more for Marner.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think he moves Marner. He made a verbal promise to Nylander not to move him, he made no such pledge to Marner.

And yes, I know, I know, verbal promises don't mean spit in the end, but I imagine Dubas will want to honor his word. Also, he'd get a lot more for Marner.
Nylander is the smarter player to keep, as the team gets more bang-for-their-buck with his caphit than with Marner who is almost $4m more expensive.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Stutzle doesn't fit in terms of timing, since he'll be in the NHL a year or two after Byram. But I can't stress enough that D is more of a need, and that Byram fits the need. Girard is not that good on the PP, and a top 4 of Girard, Timmins, Makar and Graves is not that good considering Timmins is completely unproven and Graves might be Nick Holden. Byram is completely necessary. Meanwhile on offense you have Newhook and Kaut coming in. Just in terms of value, too, Byram is about equal to the #2 this year.

Now would anyone consider trading for Marner? Without trading Mack, Rants, Byram, Makar....that's something I would consider. He would immediately make this team Cup favorites.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

The tricky part with Marner is to move him without getting too much cap hit back (unless you trade him for the exact pieces that you need). Not an easy task at all.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Now would anyone consider trading for Marner? Without trading Mack, Rants, Byram, Makar....that's something I would consider. He would immediately make this team Cup favorites.

If we could do it without trading one of Makar, Girard, Byram yeah. Otherwise we're just taking Toronto's imbalanced problem from them.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If we could do it without trading one of Makar, Girard, Byram yeah. Otherwise we're just taking Toronto's imbalanced problem from them.

I'd do Girard+ for Marner pretty easily. Girard, Kaut, 1st, small + for Marner.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm not sure if Arizona would swap Lafs and Matthews even if offered.

Honestly I think they would. They can afford his cap hit and they need him right now on and off the ice more than they need Laf. Even if they believe that they'll get him later (UFA), there's just too much value for them in getting him now.

IMO it comes down to whether Toronto is willing to gamble on a trade like that or not. If they are convinced that Matthews is leaving in 4 years they have to pull the trigger. That'd instantly solve their cap issues and they'd get another young franchise player back, that's huge.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I have to agree with Hench here. Not that the Kings would do it in a trillion years, but Stutzle for Byram is a big enough win that I don't care about the positional problems of dealing our LD future away.

Besides, at that point, you can just deal Newhook for the D to replace Byram, since Stutzle would replace/upgrade the spot we are reserving for him.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hi.

I am a Kings fan who lives in the Northern most part of Idaho so I get Avs as my home team for some reason on tv so I watch what I can when I can. You have a really solid team and I think you are knocking on the door for sure. So I am posting in regards to a conversation that I was in recently and it was something like this; would the avs move Bowen B for the 2nd overall pick in this years draft?
Just a thought and there might need an add from either side or it might just be a bad idea overall but I thought I would ask you guys.

Why not trade down to #4 and draft Sanderson or Drysdale? It's pretty clear that the Kings were focussed on defense pre-lottery.

Everyone knows at this point that Yzerman wants Stutzle so he'd be all over that. It makes a lot of sense for everyone.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Stutzle doesn't fit in terms of timing, since he'll be in the NHL a year or two after Byram. But I can't stress enough that D is more of a need, and that Byram fits the need. Girard is not that good on the PP, and a top 4 of Girard, Timmins, Makar and Graves is not that good considering Timmins is completely unproven and Graves might be Nick Holden. Byram is completely necessary. Meanwhile on offense you have Newhook and Kaut coming in. Just in terms of value, too, Byram is about equal to the #2 this year.

Byram should have went 1st OA in his draft year, just like Makar should have. Byram could be just as good as Makar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad