VS

Landeskog --- Mackinnong --- Rantanen
Burakovsky ---- Newhook ----- Kaut

Byram --- Makar
Girard --- Timmins

:sarcasm:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Kaut playing as a second liner is far less of a stretch than Graves on top pairing

Reactions: Ararana

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Love Byram, but that’s expecting a little much. Makar has the highest ceiling of any D in hockey if you ask me. His raw ability is next to none.

You're not wrong but Byram is slightly ahead of Makar at the same age/development.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You're not wrong but Byram is slightly ahead of Makar at the same age/development.

More so with his defensive/overall game though.

We saw how Cale dominated the WJC offensively in his D+1 season, despite playing as a 6/7D. UMASS just wasn't quite as talented that first year, and I don't think they utilized enough of an up tempo system that first year to get the most out of Makar's game.

Team Canada had both the talent and the up tempo system, that's why he instantly looked better to some people who were down on him because of that first year at UMASS.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I agree that Byram is more polished in several areas of the game in comparison to Makar at the same age.

The question is how high does Byram climb in the next couple years?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So I was reading an article about potential current players that could be Hall-of-Famers once they retire and on that list they included Steven Stamkos. Now I think Stamkos is a talented player, but I just don't get the love with him in all honesty? Do you lot think I am underrating him because I believe he has to be one of the most overrated players in the league in how fans and rival fans view him compared to his talent level? I think a big issue for me why I consider him supremely overvalued is that he's constantly injured, though albeit by a couple of fluke injuries. However, still he's missed a quite a lot of games over the past five years.

If Stamkos wins a Cup and stays healthy enough to keep having decent season, he'll get into the HOF for sure.

If he doesn't win a Cup then he'll HAVE to stay healthy and keep putting up points. That's what got guys like Iginla in. They just couldn't be denied because of the numbers they put up. If Stammer stays health he'll have pretty big numbers at the end of his career. Especially goals.

Right now Stamkos has 422 goals and he just turned 30. If he averages 26 goals a year for the next 8 seasons, which is certainly doable, then he'll pass both Iginla and Sakic on the all time goals list.

He'll have to put up those big numbers if he doesn't win a Cup to get into the HOF though because he wasn't really as dominant as guys like Forsberg and Lindros in his prime. That's what helped push them over the edge, specifically Lindros with no Cup.

Reactions: S E P H

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
First of all, I'm talking out of my ass. Now second, the totals are similar and even in Gonchar's favor, but I don't see those two in the same light. Probably mostly because of seeing Gonchar play later and more recently but still. Zubov to me is a star (Dallas Star, eh?), while Gonchar is Tomas Kaberle.

Also, what the f*** was up with Zub that Rangers Cup year?

HOF question aside but that's similar to how I view them too.

That's because Zubov was an actual defenseman that could play defense though and wasn't quite as soft as Gonchar and Kaberle.

BTW Gonchar was a "star" too. :naughty:

Reactions: UncleRisto

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

tenor.gif

Thanks

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Byram will in no way be better than Makar, but that's not at all a drag on him as a player. It's more a statement of how f***ing good Makar is.

Reactions: AvsCOL

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

I personally disagree, but it's close. In any case, I just think Makar always had the highest ceiling, and that's not a knock on Byram at all. I still wholeheartedly believe that Byram has every tool needed to become a #1 D in the NHL. I think the Avs have a real chance at having two legit 1D's, and the best pair in the NHL.

Reactions: LTC Pain

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I personally disagree, but it's close. In any case, I just think Makar always had the highest ceiling, and that's not a knock on Byram at all. I still wholeheartedly believe that Byram has every tool needed to become a #1 D in the NHL. I think the Avs have a real chance at having two legit 1D's, and the best pair in the NHL.
I'm not placing any expectations on the two here, but can you imagine we had MacKinnon and a legit Norris level first pair. The kind that effortlessly plays 30 minutes and doesn't f*** up. I can only get so hard.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Love Byram, but that’s expecting a little much. Makar has the highest ceiling of any D in hockey if you ask me. His raw ability is next to none.
I was cautiously optimistic about Makar after his D+1 season and feel the same with Byram. But it’ll be virtually impossible for Byram to be as good or close to Makar.

Cale was legitimately the best rookie I think I’ve ever watched. His skating ability and poise this year was just unreal.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not placing any expectations on the two here, but can you imagine we had MacKinnon and a legit Norris level first pair. The kind that effortlessly plays 30 minutes and doesn't f*** up. I can only get so hard.

I think come playoff time in their prime, Makar/Byram/Girard will be eating major minutes, but there aren’t many guys these days that that log a lot of ice-time.

Maybe just a change in the game these days, but only 4, or 5 guys in the league play 25 minutes a night.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
So if the tentative camp open date is November 17th and the tentative season start is December 1st are they just not having a preseason next season? That's only a two week window.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think either Byram or Makar have the legs to run 28-30 minute nights consistently. Their skating relies on explosion so much that they will wear down and lose some of their edges. In spurts and in playoffs, yeah, they will have to find higher gears at times... but regular season they will be more 22-24 minute guys. I don't think Girard should play 30 minutes, but his skating is the type that allows huge minutes without impacting greatly. He's got the legs to pull those numbers off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad