2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It was the right move to get rid of Botterill, but Pegula has to get this right and allow a GM to complete a tenure. 4 GMs in the last ~7 years is a tough hill for any organization to climb.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It was the right move to get rid of Botterill, but Pegula has to get this right and allow a GM to complete a tenure. 4 GMs in the last ~7 years is a tough hill for any organization to climb.
One of the two parties was more tired of waiting than the other

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A few weeks ago they just said he's sticking around. :laugh:

Does this new guy have any experience on the hockey side of things or was he just on the business side?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A few weeks ago they just said he's sticking around. :laugh:

Does this new guy have any experience on the hockey side of things or was he just on the business side?
Sabres fanbase is hoping that this is very temporary, so I'd say no. :laugh:

Reactions: Avs_19

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This comes days after Botterill botched things with Lawrence Pilut's camp as bad as anyone possibly could, I suppose the Pegulas realized way too late they once again made a very bad hire.

Don't forget in the wake of all these GM/coach hirings and firings that Pat Lafontaine was brought aboard as team president only to resign three months later because he and Murray didn't agree which direction to take the team, AND the Pegulas only solidified their power within the organization by sacking a lot of long-time executives within the organization.

Seriously, hard to believe there's an ownership group more incompetent than Melnyk or Dolan in the NHL, but this definitely takes the cake.

Jim Benning is the odds-on favorite for the Mike Milbury award for Worst GM in the NHL. The only other guy in my estimation who comes even close now is Dale Tallon.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Crazy how a team with an unreal #1 C and future #1 D as building blocks is in such a huge mess.

Did the owners do this just to save money? Always wonder how that makes players feel and if Eichel is sitting at home texting his teammates saying wtf is happening

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Crazy how a team with an unreal #1 C and future #1 D as building blocks is in such a huge mess.

Did the owners do this just to save money? Always wonder how that makes players feel and if Eichel is sitting at home texting his teammates saying wtf is happening

Amazing how some of the richest people on the planet can also be the most shortsighted.

Pegula came galloping in on his gilded horse in the midst of the disastrous Golisano era and promptly instructed Darcy Regier (and he used to be a great GM...pretty sure the Buffaslug broke him) to throw money at the problem. When that didn't work, Regier got fired and they tanked like no team ever tanked before. And then when THAT didn't work, they went to Botterill, which brings us to this. I think they're honestly perplexed as to why spending all these assets hasn't automatically converted into success.

Pegula and Pegula seem very similar to Dundon, someone who makes a big public stink about throwing money around (they practically dumped truckloads of cash on Penn State to build a hockey program from scratch) but then stiff the people working for them behind the scenes. Unlike Dundon though, it looks like the Pegulas are intrusive and meddlesome in every aspect. I'm starting to believe again that it was their idea and not Botterill's to jettison Ryan O'Reilly for the worst possible return, but I have no evidence before me, just speculation.

You never want an owner like this who believes he/she is always the smartest person in the room. That almost never ends well.

Reactions: 5280

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
This comes days after Botterill botched things with Lawrence Pilut's camp as bad as anyone possibly could, I suppose the Pegulas realized way too late they once again made a very bad hire.

Don't forget in the wake of all these GM/coach hirings and firings that Pat Lafontaine was brought aboard as team president only to resign three months later because he and Murray didn't agree which direction to take the team, AND the Pegulas only solidified their power within the organization by sacking a lot of long-time executives within the organization.

Seriously, hard to believe there's an ownership group more incompetent than Melnyk or Dolan in the NHL, but this definitely takes the cake.

Jim Benning is the odds-on favorite for the Mike Milbury award for Worst GM in the NHL. The only other guy in my estimation who comes even close now is Dale Tallon.
I’d be surprised if what happen with Pilut had any significant weight in the decision.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Unlike Dundon though, it looks like the Pegulas are intrusive and meddlesome in every aspect.
What makes you think that Dundon isn't like that? He's worse. He has done nothing but surronding himself with puppets and often publicly discussed hockey decisions. AFAIK Pegulas aren't publicly commenting on on-ice decisions and trades. Dundon sure does.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Buffalo just flat out cleaned house. They fired a good dude in Jankowski... whoever picks him up is getting a gem of a scout.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What makes you think that Dundon isn't like that? He's worse. He has done nothing but surronding himself with puppets and often publicly discussed hockey decisions. AFAIK Pegulas aren't publicly commenting on on-ice decisions and trades. Dundon sure does.

Meh, don't know if seemingly taking credit for this move or that is the same as actively intruding into the front office. Waddell, at least for now, appears to be running the hockey side of things. Now if things take a turn for the worse, then I could totally see Dundon swooping in.

There's also the possibility that Dundon is just...better at this than the Pegulas. And mind you, I'm not a fan of Dundon, just saying that the Canes appear to be on the upswing, whereas the Sabres are an everlasting dumpster fire. Either way, things are going better for them than Buffalo.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I’d be surprised if what happen with Pilut had any significant weight in the decision.

That's what it looks like on the outset--they went from a public show of support (I know, I know, that can mean nothing in a lot of cases) to turfing the guy. The intervening event was the epic faceplant in those negotiations.

But no matter how you look at it, it's a shitshow. Firing Botterill was probably the right move, but it should have happened a lot sooner, and ownership should've realized they needed to step back and let someone else run the business side of things, which includes a search for the next GM.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There's also the possibility that Dundon is just...better at this than the Pegulas. And mind you, I'm not a fan of Dundon, just saying that the Canes appear to be on the upswing, whereas the Sabres are an everlasting dumpster fire. Either way, things are going better for them than Buffalo.
The Canes always had a good base in place, IMO. What they needed was real high end forward talent, and it looks like Aho, Necas, and Svechnikov are finally going to deliver that for them. I think they're in a really good position now, but they weren't as far away from doing damage in the east as most people thought.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Looking up the numbers I just realized how good Pat LaFontaine was. Too young to be watching at the time. He was with Buffalo for three months back in 2013 in an administrative role, he would be a good pick for them as GM.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Eichel’s going to be a busy man. A lot of interviews and hirings to do.

I called it earlier this season. Since they can't find what's rotten then at this point the next solution is to fire everyone. Cleaning house is not always a bad thing, sure they'll lose good apples along with the bad ones but in the grand scheme of things it's worth it.

Hire a new guy and let him surround himself with his own people. No more old skeletons from ancient regimes that could talk behind your back or carry bad habits into new management. I know ownership is also partly responsible and its not gone but if I were a Sabres fan I'd like a lot what happened today.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I called it earlier this season. Since they can't find what's rotten then at this point the next solution is to fire everyone. Cleaning house is not always a bad thing, sure they'll lose good apples along with the bad ones but in the grand scheme of things it's worth it.

Hire a new guy and let him surround himself with his own people. No more old skeletons from ancient regimes that could talk behind your back or carry bad habits into new management. I know ownership is also partly responsible and its not gone but if I were a Sabres fan I'd like a lot what happened today.

Their new GM is an internal hire that's akin to us promoting Greg from Accounting into the GM role, except he was just a placeholder for Sakic. That's not the case in Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad