2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s almost always ahead of Hughes among voters. Don’t know if that’s a sign for the Calder.

Yeah, I don’t know.

I think Hughes is ahead in the publicized media votes right now.

What I find most interesting about that list is they had Klingberg, over Heiskanen. I felt like Heisk was better than Klingerg in the Dallas games I watched this year.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What's most interesting about that list is where Letang is. Grossly overrated player. His defense on the 2-on-1 this year where MacKinnon scored in Pittsburgh was laughable, pee wee defensemen play 2-on-1s that way.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I really need hockey to return haha

I’ve been killing time on the main board, and damn is it annoying when posters bash Avs players and have no idea what they’re talking about. I really feel like if you’re taking a hard-line against a player you should actually watch them play.

Ugh... too much rage isn’t good for a guy :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I’ve been killing time on the main board, and damn is it annoying when posters bash Avs players and have no idea what they’re talking about. I really feel like if you’re taking a hard-line against a player you should actually watch them play.

Everyone on the main board is sixteen.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Makar coming in at his jersey number for defenceman ranking for the playoffs.

It's always good to see Makar ranked high. He's going to be top 5 in no time.

Hamilton might be the worst ranking on this list. He was on pace for 70 points before his injury with amazing underlying numbers as usual. He's probably closer to 5 than he is 15.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

The best part about this is I know you've been in the Makar vs. 1st overall thread

Since you've only been on HF for just over a year, I'll share one of its indelible truths with you. The following is a list of NHL assets in descending order of value:

1st overall NHL draft pick
1st overall drafted NHL prospect
2nd round NHL draft pick
Teenager playing in the NHL
Retained cap hit from a trade
20-25 year old trophy award winner playing in the NHL
3rd round NHL draft pick
28 year old perennial 1st Team All-Star and trophy award winner playing in the NHL
Anyone else over the age of 26
Anyone who'll be a UFA at the end of their contract

Everything else amounts to future considerations.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mike Ribeiro is alive...he showed up in Montreal for his dad's funerals. He had disappeared for 3 years.

62970416_2955989ca19d54-b0d6-4354-8ea6-5c8dc84d22fd_ORIGINAL.jpg

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Mike Ribeiro is alive...he showed up in Montreal for his dad's funerals. He had disappeared for 3 years.

62970416_2955989ca19d54-b0d6-4354-8ea6-5c8dc84d22fd_ORIGINAL.jpg
I’ve read a Journal de Montreal article on what he’s planning to do from now on and not much on «What the hell were you doing while you went awol? ». It was quite disapointing. I have you seen an article on that side of the story?

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I had almost forgotten how decent of a hockey player Ribeiro was. 83 points for Dallas in 2008. Also 167 points in in 69 games in his D+1 season in the Q.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He does not look well. Hope that's from his past use not current, though I wouldn't be surprised if he fell off the wagon when his dad died.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would be surprized he showed up to his father funeral dress like that, even by his standards. That’s just the article photo.

Lazy journalism if that photo was from somewhere else than the funeral and they didn't mention it. Everyone's thinking the same thing.

They didn't note it under the photo in the Journal de Montreal article. Kind of looks like they're outside a restaurant maybe. My guess is that's where the interview took place. Not the funeral.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I was reading an article about potential current players that could be Hall-of-Famers once they retire and on that list they included Steven Stamkos. Now I think Stamkos is a talented player, but I just don't get the love with him in all honesty? Do you lot think I am underrating him because I believe he has to be one of the most overrated players in the league in how fans and rival fans view him compared to his talent level? I think a big issue for me why I consider him supremely overvalued is that he's constantly injured, though albeit by a couple of fluke injuries. However, still he's missed a quite a lot of games over the past five years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So I was reading an article about potential current players that could be Hall-of-Famers once they retire and on that list they included Steven Stamkos. Now I think Stamkos is a talented player, but I just don't get the love with him in all honesty? Do you lot think I am underrating him because I believe he has to be one of the most overrated players in the league in how fans and rival fans view him compared to his talent level? I think a big issue for me why I consider him supremely overvalued is that he's constantly injured, though albeit by a couple of fluke injuries. However, still he's missed a quite a lot of games over the past five years.

Injuries certainly hurt his chances, but he's got quite a resume when you look at it. Health wise, he missed 13 games this year, but only missed 4 for the previous 2 combined. Since he came into the league, he's 6th in points and second in goals (only behind Ovi). He's a 2 time Richard winner with a 60 goal season and has 4 90+ point seasons. Having 422 goals and being 30... he should be in the high 500s with an outside chance of 600 goals and probably 1200 points. That is a HoF resume. If they win a Cup in the next couple years, that adds to it... if he as a Smythe he becomes a lock.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Concerning HHOF, someone mentioned Gonchar should get in as a joke when Lowe was inducted. I made a thread in the History of Hockey about Gonchar, who was basically the most productvie defenseman in the league for ten years, and a surprising amount of people agree that he is HHOF worthy. He would be like Zubov.

Reactions: Pokecheque

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Concerning HHOF, someone mentioned Gonchar should get in as a joke when Lowe was inducted. I made a thread in the History of Hockey about Gonchar, who was basically the most productvie defenseman in the league for ten years, and a surprising amount of people agree that he is HHOF worthy. He would be like Zubov.
First of all, I'm talking out of my ass. Now second, the totals are similar and even in Gonchar's favor, but I don't see those two in the same light. Probably mostly because of seeing Gonchar play later and more recently but still. Zubov to me is a star (Dallas Star, eh?), while Gonchar is Tomas Kaberle.

Also, what the f*** was up with Zub that Rangers Cup year?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
First of all, I'm talking out of my ass. Now second, the totals are similar and even in Gonchar's favor, but I don't see those two in the same light. Probably mostly because of seeing Gonchar play later and more recently but still. Zubov to me is a star (Dallas Star, eh?), while Gonchar is Tomas Kaberle.

Also, what the f*** was up with Zub that Rangers Cup year?

It's only because of Lidstrom. Without Lidstrom in the mix Gonchar would have sniffed a few Norris trophies and moved one up the list of top dmen of his era. Almost in the top 5 from 2000-2010, behind only Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermeyer, Blake, Nummenen.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's only because of Lidstrom. Without Lidstrom in the mix Gonchar would have sniffed a few Norris trophies and moved one up the list of top dmen of his era. Almost in the top 5 from 2000-2010, behind only Lidstrom, Pronger, Niedermeyer, Blake, Nummenen.
Well, I don't know if that's a good way to put it. I just think it's too many meh years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Friedman says that all the people/players involved got it at a restaurant. I would agree with Friedman in regards to the most dangerous time is going to be the training camp before being deployed to the bubble hub cities. Like the players on the Florida teams, Dallas, and Arizona gotta be almost quarantined in their homes until August 1st.
Injuries certainly hurt his chances, but he's got quite a resume when you look at it. Health wise, he missed 13 games this year, but only missed 4 for the previous 2 combined. Since he came into the league, he's 6th in points and second in goals (only behind Ovi). He's a 2 time Richard winner with a 60 goal season and has 4 90+ point seasons. Having 422 goals and being 30... he should be in the high 500s with an outside chance of 600 goals and probably 1200 points. That is a HoF resume. If they win a Cup in the next couple years, that adds to it... if he as a Smythe he becomes a lock.
And who in the Hall of Fame has had similar careers as Stamkos does thus far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad