2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
It's easy to say now but they shouldn't have re-upped him. The price paid for 2 cup runs with EK was adequate.

Now not only that contract looks bad but it cost them their first which now looks like a top pick.

In an alternate universe where they let EK walk and keep their 1st rounder, they can at least start something new. Trade a few vets that are still tradeable like Kane and use the rest to help the transition.

Now because of the EK signing they are stuck to try to compete for the next few years with an aging and fast deteriorating core. That will lead nowhere, LA Kings part II.

Yeah, I don't hold that extension against them. They paid a decent amount to get him and they went far enough in the playoffs where it seemed like a logical move to keep trying for the Cup.

If they are intent on tanking sometime over the next few years, they could trade EK as many teams would love to have a top pairing defenseman of EK's caliber. They just might have to be like Toronto with Kessel, and eat up some salary, which would be worth it if it helps them get better draft picks over the 2020s.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know why they were overlooked like this at the beginning of the season. They are a good team.

No doubt they are, but they're also deeply flawed and I still think Bowness is not that good a coach. Kinda ironic they were an anomaly in an NHL that still prized defense when they were running and gunning all over the place and now they're an anomaly in an NHL that prizes speed and scoring. I still think they're one Bishop injury away from completely imploding though.

Reactions: McMetal

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
God Dallas has to be the most befuddling team in the league to me. They just keep winning...urgh.
I don't know why you think they're going to be a team that implodes. They were real good last year, and they're good again this year even with Tyler Seguin having a disastrous season.

If they could ever find a way to start scoring, watch out. I mean, Seguin's shooting percentage this year is 6.7%.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

HUGE YIKES if true...

I'm a little more disappointed in Biz to be honest. I don't see what that's going to do--Carcillo has repeatedly said he was a mental trainwreck when he played and has apologized repeatedly. Doesn't excuse his past behavior but if we're just going to dismiss one guy who's working hard to try and fix the game and hockey's broken culture with one tweet from a guy who apparently thinks things are fine, I don't really know what to say.

Reactions: hooverdam

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm a little more disappointed in Biz to be honest. I don't see what that's going to do--Carcillo has repeatedly said he was a mental trainwreck when he played and has apologized repeatedly. Doesn't excuse his past behavior but if we're just going to dismiss one guy who's working hard to try and fix the game and hockey's broken culture with one tweet from a guy who apparently thinks things are fine, I don't really know what to say.
I don't think Biz believes things are fine, but he's also not going to back down from Carcillo calling him and the Spittin Chiclets podcast out, either.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think Biz believes things are fine, but he's also not going to back down from Carcillo calling him and the Spittin Chiclets podcast out, either.

Carcillo's trying to call out the "meathead" culture that exists in sports, of which Biz and his Barstool buddies are a huge part of. And yeah, Carcillo himself was a big part of it too, again, this isn't some huge revelation. Just feels like Biz didn't even bother to debate him, just went for the kill, and he knows it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Carcillo's trying to call out the "meathead" culture that exists in sports, of which Biz and his Barstool buddies are a huge part of. And yeah, Carcillo himself was a big part of it too, again, this isn't some huge revelation. Just feels like Biz didn't even bother to debate him, just went for the kill, and he knows it.
Biz has refused to talk about Dan Carcillo on numerous occasions on the podcast, though. He never wanted to get into it with Carcillo. It's Carcillo who went at him. Biz has every right to defend himself here.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Biz has refused to talk about Dan Carcillo on numerous occasions on the podcast, though. He never wanted to get into it with Carcillo. It's Carcillo who went at him. Biz has every right to defend himself here.
Not taking sides here but when you say "went at him" is it because of the Roenick comment? It didn't look like a shot at Biz to me.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not taking sides here but when you say "went at him" is it because of the Roenick comment? It didn't look like a shot at Biz to me.
First his tweet claims the Globe and Mail piece on Biz is just "damage control" for the fallout with Roenick, and then he claims that hockey just needs someone to "replace Cherry and Roenick", insinuating that Biz is going to be that guy and essentially lumping him in with them.

Biz caters to a very specific, niche audience. He's funny because he's allowed to be unfiltered. There's a reason he isn't a national television figure. But Carcillo is very clearly taking a shot at him here. Big or small, it's still a shot at him, and a passive-aggressive one at that.

I get that Carcillo has apologized for what he's done in the past, but the guy also loves to stir up a **** ton of negativity on Twitter.

Reactions: MonsterMack

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bissonette pretty much defends Carbomb on a weekly basis despite Carcillo always calling him and his podcast out. Any time people try to rip into Carcillo, Bissonnette interrupts and talks about how people don’t know everything Carcy has been through and suggests giving him the benefit of the doubt. He goes out of his way over and over to defend him and now he simply had enough.

Of all the things Biz has done it seems like his entrepreneurial side is what he’s most proud of. This was a big moment for him and he’s proud to have the world read an article about him and how he isn’t just a punching bag and how there’s so much more to him and Carcillo goes out of his way to spin it as a negative once again. I think most people would have responded even worse than how Biz did.

If you knew this entire back story you certainly wouldn’t be disappointed in Bissonette.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bissonette pretty much defends Carbomb on a weekly basis despite Carcillo always calling him and his podcast out. Any time people try to rip into Carcillo, Bissonnette interrupts and talks about how people don’t know everything Carcy has been through and suggests giving him the benefit of the doubt. He goes out of his way over and over to defend him and now he simply had enough.

Of all the things Biz has done it seems like his entrepreneurial side is what he’s most proud of. This was a big moment for him and he’s proud to have the world read an article about him and how he isn’t just a punching bag and how there’s so much more to him and Carcillo goes out of his way to spin it as a negative once again. I think most people would have responded even worse than how Biz did.

If you knew this entire back story you certainly wouldn’t be disappointed in Bissonette.

I'm aware of Biz's story, and in all honesty I think he's a good guy. I also don't really have a problem with Spittin' Chiclets, and while I don't really like how vicious and immature he can get at times when people criticize fighting in hockey and other subjects he tends to get defensive on, I think he's largely good for the game and sports culture.

But there's on huge and unavoidable issue with Biz and his podcast--their association with Barstool. Founded and still run by a racist, toxic dirtbag, it celebrates and even encourages the worst aspects of Dudebro Culture. And despite the fact that not everyone associated with Barstool is a racist dickhead like Portnoy, there's one thing about Barstool that no one, not Biz, not Paige Spiranac, not any of their most tolerant allies can defend--their army of incels and meatheads who go out of their way to harrass and threaten anyone who dares to criticize them. It's so bad that you have to avoid using the term "Barstool" on social media because their troll army actively searches the term just so they can find people to attack. And no one associated with this company has ever truly called them out, they just tacitly ignore it for fear of rocking the boat and getting attacked themselves. Again, Biz is not a bad guy but he deserves criticism for being a part of this toxic organization and everything it represents. He can try and defend Carcillo publicly but so long as he remains associated with that awful organization, that's still a big issue.

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you Dan Carcillo is a saint. I despised him when he played, and he's freely admitted repeatedly that he engaged in toxic behavior, he admits he was part of the problem and has tried to make amends by calling out that culture and trying to fix it. He also admitted to saying what he said in that locker room (but I'll also add that if you were in a hockey locker room back in the day at ANY level and racial slurs weren't being bandied about, I'd call you a liar) but also vehemently denied the whole swastika thing. Also, I find it problematic that Biz turned around and used this particular tweet to try and get Carcillo "canceled" once he finally got tired of the supposed attacks (which IMO did not cross any line). I hope the two of them can make amends and work together going forward but this is a pretty ugly situation all around.

Reactions: hooverdam

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Our players literally just stand there and expect cross ice passes to work. It's infuriating.
Im gonna say it again the Avs PP has to many chiefs not enough indians. When you have that many "star" players the tendency will be to always look for the pretty set up instead of keeping it simple. In the Oilers case an actual Indian assisted on Leons goal.

Reactions: dahrougem2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad