2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
No clue, just a feeling I have. All of the other contenders have legit coaches, and as seen during his tenure in Toronto, he's terrible with young players and up-and-coming teams. If there's one place he might do well, it's on a team that has a lot of vets, not much youth, and is desperately trying to remain relevant in the playoff discussion for the next few years.

Toronto improved in the first few years with Babcock after he inherited a mess of a roster. He definitely wore out his welcome and should've been fired last season when the team started playing horribly around late December 2018 but at the same time, the flaws of the Leafs are still very much in display even with a more liked coach in Keefe.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Man, you know your team sucks when losing James Neal and Zach Kassian is a major blow. That team is so lucky to have Mcd/Drai.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Toronto improved in the first few years with Babcock after he inherited a mess of a roster. He definitely wore out his welcome and should've been fired last season when the team started playing horribly around late December 2018 but at the same time, the flaws of the Leafs are still very much in display even with a more liked coach in Keefe.
Sure, his systems are good, but as far as developing young players goes, I wouldn’t trust Babcock with any rookies, let alone a team with half a roster full of young, highly-drafted players. What he did to Marner is downright sociopathic and I guarantee you it didn’t help Mitch become a better player. If anything, it might’ve isolated him from some of his teammates.

Babcock’s ego outweighs his ability as a coach, and that’s a dangerous individual to have behind the bench with a bunch of young guys trying to learn the NHL game.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Sure, his systems are good, but as far as developing young players goes, I wouldn’t trust Babcock with any rookies, let alone a team with half a roster full of young, highly-drafted players. What he did to Marner is downright sociopathic and I guarantee you it didn’t help Mitch become a better player. If anything, it might’ve isolated him from some of his teammates.

Babcock’s ego outweighs his ability as a coach, and that’s a dangerous individual to have behind the bench with a bunch of young guys trying to learn the NHL game.

You're right and I'm not excusing his behavior to Marner, I'm just saying that his tenure in Toronto wasn't all that bad. He ended up transforming a rebuilding team to a winning record. And has a very strong coaching record in the NHL.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
You're right and I'm not excusing his behavior to Marner, I'm just saying that his tenure in Toronto wasn't all that bad. He ended up transforming a rebuilding team to a winning record. And has a very strong coaching record in the NHL.
Can’t disagree with any of that. He’s a coach that gets results, for sure, but at what cost? If I had to make a decision between Babcock & Keefe, I would go with Keefe due players not outright hating to play for him. I think Toronto made the right choice letting go of Babcock, but as you said, it should’ve been done sooner.

Reactions: jaems

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Out of all the teams in bad shape for the future Sharks have to come first. They are just starting to pay the price for staying contenders for so long and have no cup to show for it. Sad.

Not going to be fun to be a Sharks fan for the next 5+ years. They are heading straight where LA is now but without the cups and the top prospect pool.

Last edited:

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
It's weird because I can't think of many catastrophic trades the Sharks have done this decade. They had a number of really bad ones in the 2000s but during the 2010s I'd say they've been pretty solid. Even the EK trade isn't that bad considering he's is still a top pairing defenseman and they are in a win now mode, it just just looks awful because of the mass of injuries and age catching up to the core.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Sharks are just committed long term to so many players who are either on the decline or just about to start it. It's not quite as bad as where Detroit was where they signed long term deals to a bunch of middle and bottom sixers like Helm and Abdelkader, because at least guys like Kane, Burns, and Karlsson were high end players at one point, but it's still going to be a nasty outlook for that team as they ride those deals out.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's weird because I can't think of many catastrophic trades the Sharks have done this decade. They had a number of really bad ones in the 2000s but during the 2010s I'd say they've been pretty solid. Even the EK trade isn't that bad considering he's is still a top pairing defenseman and they are in a win now mode, it just just looks awful because of the mass of injuries and age catching up to the core.

It's easy to say now but they shouldn't have re-upped him. The price paid for 2 cup runs with EK was adequate.

Now not only that contract looks bad but it cost them their first which now looks like a top pick.

In an alternate universe where they let EK walk and keep their 1st rounder, they can at least start something new. Trade a few vets that are still tradeable like Kane and use the rest to help the transition.

Now because of the EK signing they are stuck to try to compete for the next few years with an aging and fast deteriorating core. That will lead nowhere, LA Kings part II.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Personally, since it's not happening to us, I find it funny.
There's a Finnish saying: "Vahingon ilo on paras ilo". Roughly translated: "A joy from someones misfortune is the best of joys".

This aplies to the Sharks. I feel zero pity for them. At least for now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Evander Kane is going off on the DoPS and, as much as one can hate the guy, he's absolutely right in everything he's saying and it's about time someone calls them out.

It'd hold a lot more weight if it was literally anyone else (well, maybe not Tom Wilson or Zack Kassian), but finally someone does it.

Calling them out for not suspending Zdeno Chara for the cross check to the throat of Gallagher, and also not suspending Lawson Crouse for elbowing Charlie McAvoy in the head prior to his statement.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
There's a Finnish saying: "Vahingon ilo on paras ilo". Roughly translated: "A joy from someones misfortune is the best of joys".

This aplies to the Sharks. I feel zero pity for them. At least for now.
I actually hope they’ll turn things around a bit since OTT holds their pick

Reactions: Chiarelli

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Evander Kane is going off on the DoPS and, as much as one can hate the guy, he's absolutely right in everything he's saying and it's about time someone calls them out.

It'd hold a lot more weight if it was literally anyone else (well, maybe not Tom Wilson or Zack Kassian), but finally someone does it.

Calling them out for not suspending Zdeno Chara for the cross check to the throat of Gallagher, and also not suspending Lawson Crouse for elbowing Charlie McAvoy in the head prior to his statement.

Completely agree. Probably not the best messenger but that doesn't take away from the message. Parros and the entire DoPS is incompetent.

Reactions: dahrougem2

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Completely agree. Probably not the best messenger but that doesn't take away from the message. Parros and the entire DoPS is incompetent.
Yeah. The decissions this week with Chara and Kassian have been a joke. Chara should've got around 5 games, and Kassian around 10 or more.

There was an article in Finnish sports media that the fighting has increased within the last two months, after the first Tkachuk-Kassian incident. Players feel like they are not protected. After Elias Pettersson was hit by Matheson, there has been a fight pretty much anytime anyone has touched a Vancouver player with a bit more force.

Players are starting to take matters into their own hands again, and it's not good.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal and Avs_19

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Columbus has lost four in a row now, starting with the 2-1 win we had there. We really seem to just break the backs of teams we beat. Boston went on a slide too after we came into town, and St. Louis hasn't been the same since that 5-3 loss before the ASB.

Reactions: The Merchant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad