Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If you could pick just one player from Salzburg it’s obviously Szoboszlai. No jackpot for Liverpool.
I have not been impressed by Szoboszlai to be honest in our 2 legs versus Salzburg. He might have more potential due to his age and lack of experience but his impact was average to poor at best.

Haaland is the main fish though.. If I only had to pick one.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Cost to value, I think it's hard to be upset with who Liverpool are getting.

A number of the same people saying it's in talks are saying it's basically over the line. Few reports saying that players in training were saying get him on Wednesday, and that Klopp and Edwards have been looking at him for 6 weeks.

Liverpool supposedly beat United among others to his signature. Liverpool have a decent relationship with the RB upper levels.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you could pick just one player from Salzburg it’s obviously Szoboszlai. No jackpot for Liverpool.

Over Haaland? Szoboszlai is great, from what I read, but Haaland scores over a goal per game and he's not even 20 years old. Thats unheard of. Better scoring rate than Mbappe at the same age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He was also in Leipzig. Supposedly he'll meet with United and Juventus before making a decision. Apparently he wants to play as many games as possible, and that'll factor into his decision. He wouldn't play regularly at Leipzig, nor would he play at Juventus. United has so few options that he'd get games, but is he an automatic starter? He walks into our lineup as an automatic starter, and I suspect we told him that when he met with the club yesterday.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
With Martial and Rashford?

I think he's more likely to play elsewhere than with United. I think dollars are what will get it over the line. I mean, his agent is Raiola. He loves a bidding war.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
not good

Fair enough but they can be world class players still. Lautaro, Dybala and Icardi. Dont need to be Messi.

As for Pity and Pavon I never rated either player that much. Pavon in particular was pretty bad for Boca before his move to the MLS. I'm willing to give them all the time they need but they shouldnt be counted on at all.
And that’s exactly my point. Only Barco who has had injury issues that you can’t blame MLS for has come to the MLS and been considered the “next big thing.” I see Pavón becoming more of a good winger for a mid to lower table club in Europe. Pity will be the same as Almiron. Someone will buy him and play him out of position on a crappy team and blame him for everything except Almiron is better and so Pity will be considered a complete failure. Barco I could see playing for one of the big teams, maybe not as a starter but developing into a Di Maria type player at some point in the next few years. I don’t think the MLS is to blame for these players not amounting to anything. Pity and Pavón were expected to be things they were never going to be and Barco had injury issues that you can’t blame the MLS for.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Over Haaland? Szoboszlai is great, from what I read, but Haaland scores over a goal per game and he's not even 20 years old. Thats unheard of. Better scoring rate than Mbappe at the same age.

Yes. Håland is very good for his age too but i am not sure he will get so much better than he is today. He’s very mature for his age and have a big, physical body that he uses well. Other than that i am not overly impressed. The austrian league isn’t exactly a world class league either.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
And that’s exactly my point. Only Barco who has had injury issues that you can’t blame MLS for has come to the MLS and been considered the “next big thing.” I see Pavón becoming more of a good winger for a mid to lower table club in Europe. Pity will be the same as Almiron. Someone will buy him and play him out of position on a crappy team and blame him for everything except Almiron is better and so Pity will be considered a complete failure. Barco I could see playing for one of the big teams, maybe not as a starter but developing into a Di Maria type player at some point in the next few years. I don’t think the MLS is to blame for these players not amounting to anything. Pity and Pavón were expected to be things they were never going to be and Barco had injury issues that you can’t blame the MLS for.

No you cant blame MLS for Pavon being crap but it didnt make him a better player. After all he was on the WC 2018 team, so he did have talent (it was always overstated to be sure) but it was still the wrong move. Pity is different since he was a star in the Argentine league but I don't think he ever was considered to be a future NT player.

Barco right now is more likely to be Lavezzi not ADM

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No you cant blame MLS for Pavon being crap but it didnt make him a better player. After all he was on the WC 2018 team, so he did have talent (it was always overstated to be sure) but it was still the wrong move. Pity is different since he was a star in the Argentine league but I don't think he ever was considered to be a future NT player.

Barco right now is more likely to be Lavezzi not ADM
I think it really depends. If Barco does well this season and is healthy, he should be closer to ADM, but if he can’t stay healthy, then yeah agreed. Pavón going to LAG isn’t that bad. Schelotto is a great coach and learning from Ibra is interesting to say the least. There are good players surrounding him so I think if he puts the work in, he will be fine. That’s the problem though. It seems like he doesn’t put the work in. Agree about Pity so you can’t blame MLS (you can probably blame FdB though).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I just find it odd to blame a league for a player's development. We don't do the same for highly touted prospects in other sports or leagues or clubs/teams. You can put a highly touted prospect in a great situation and they can still flop. It's just easy to blame MLS instead of wondering if that player just was never meant to be.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I just find it odd to blame a league for a player's development. We don't do the same for highly touted prospects in other sports or leagues or clubs/teams. You can put a highly touted prospect in a great situation and they can still flop. It's just easy to blame MLS instead of wondering if that player just was never meant to be.
Alphonso Davies was developed in NA and played in the MLS before moving to Bayern and is now flourishing out of position as a starter for them. Coaching/environment is important but ultimately it's more about the player, their mentality and approach and their choices.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
São Paulo rejected an 18m euros bid from RB Leipzig for Antony. They want 20m upfront, Leipzig isn't ready to pay that yet. Dortmund are now the front runners and if they meet that 20m upfront offer + SP keeping a piece of his rights it's probably a done deal.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mentioned this in the manger thread, but it seems that Klopp suggested that it's easier to recruit players with his contract bit settled and also made sure to give a shout out to Michael Edwards (the guy in charge of transfers at Liverpool).

It might be a bit of tea leave reading, but I think there's a good chance of a big window this summer for Liverpool.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mentioned this in the manger thread, but it seems that Klopp suggested that it's easier to recruit players with his contract bit settled and also made sure to give a shout out to Michael Edwards (the guy in charge of transfers at Liverpool).

It might be a bit of tea leave reading, but I think there's a good chance of a big window this summer for Liverpool.
Klopp doesnt need to spend to win though.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Klopp doesnt need to spend to win though.
Of course not. But the squad will need some refreshing to continue on the pace they're putting up. I realize undefeated in the league for a long stretch is unlikely, but Klopp isn't signing up to be 4th and not play for trophies.

FSG wants to continue to win, and I don't think Klopp would have signed up if he didn't expect to see the club continue to push for trophies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Of course not. But the squad will need some refreshing to continue on the pace they're putting up. I realize undefeated in the league for a long stretch is unlikely, but Klopp isn't signing up to be 4th and not play for trophies.

FSG wants to continue to win, and I don't think Klopp would have signed up if he didn't expect to see the club continue to push for trophies.

yes but klopp is so good he can win with any average player.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Klopp is the best coach, he is great at developing good players into world class players.

I still remember Manchester United fans making fun of LFC for getting Mane instead of the greatness of Mkhitaryan. Good times
All players who were at their best (or developed as great players under Klopp).

Gotze
Reus
Lewandoski
Gundogan
Kagawa
Sahin
Hummels
Aubameyang
Mane
Fabinho
Robertson
Firmino
Salah
Wijnaldum
Henderson
Origi
Oxlade Chamberlain

I might forget some names. Great players but they reached another level with Klopp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad