2019-20 UEFA Europa League

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Of course there are adjustment periods and hopefully this is a good learning lesson on who and who doesn't deserve to be on this team next year.
Hopefully we don't lose any of the players who should be on the team because they want out. We have little to over anyone at this point.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The bigger problem is with the midfield and lack of penetration they provide, and the forwards. This season, our forwards suck too, besides Aubameyang, Saka and Martinelli. One of those players is our LB at the moment.

Penetration in terms of decisive passes and runs? Yesterday there was a lack of that, but there was also little in terms of runs from the front 3. Not many passes for the CM's to pick out.

I think one of the main flaws of the day was that Arteta did not put Martinelli in sooner. He didn't play on the weekend and provided good movement and energy upon coming on.

Reactions: Cassano

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Now the last team reach the 1/16 Final. Frankfurt now vs Basel. Interesting games. Both clubs have very passionate Fans. It promises an explosive atmosphere.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
They've actually conceded less goals than Chelsea and Man City, but have fewer goals scored than the top 6.

The bigger problem is with the midfield and lack of penetration they provide, and the forwards. This season, our forwards suck too, besides Aubameyang, Saka and Martinelli. One of those players is our LB at the moment.

Conceding less goals isn’t a direct reflection of our back line. Leno has been terrific and I’d say he’s a bigger reason why we’ve conceded less goals more then anything else.

I can’t remember the time I haven’t been nervous when watching the opposition take set pieces. We have absolutely no idea what to do and who to cover when the ball is being whipped in the box.

All in all, we do have issues up and down our lineup but saying that our back line is fine, is just puzzling to me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pepe isn't a bad player at all, but he does try and dribble too much for my liking. It's going to be something he has to learn that you cannot do that in the EPL compared to his U20s league and Ligue 1. Much less space when you're rushing up the field with the ball.
Wengers ideas still being part of the club is only doing us good. He is a genius, the longer his ideas fade off the players, the worse we play. He kept us very competitive despite having a low budget because of the man single handedly destroying this club not wanting till invest enough money ( Kroenke). This is simply a result of lack of investment and poor managerial recruitment, no blame at all should go on Wenger.
You're being stuck in the glory days, those are long gone and even though I love Wenger he was a disaster (not debatable). He and Ivan both bought the three worst players on our squad in Mustafi, Xhaka, and Ozil; three players which exacerbate the greatest weaknesses in Arsenal currently. Those are brainless defending, zero spine, zero leadership, and zero consistency. You keep turning blind eyes, Kroenke has given Arsenal a lot of money for players; Sanchez, Ozil, Auba, Lacazette, Xhaka, Pepe, etc. EVERYONE has been part of the problem, we need a good summer of transfers to set this club back on track. The youth squad does give me hope though.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We just need to actually go out and buy some defensive players. Get someone who can clean things up.

I hate to recommend it cause it hurts my other team, but Lewis Dunk would look great in an Arsenal kit. No nonsense defensively and is extremely underrated in his ability to pass from the back. It's funny cause he may be out of the summer budget at 50 million or what ever the club has set for him.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Pepe isn't a bad player at all, but he does try and dribble too much for my liking. It's going to be something he has to learn that you cannot do that in the EPL compared to his U20s league and Ligue 1. Much less space when you're rushing up the field with the ball.

You're being stuck in the glory days, those are long gone and even though I love Wenger he was a disaster (not debatable). He and Ivan both bought the three worst players on our squad in Mustafi, Xhaka, and Ozil; three players which exacerbate the greatest weaknesses in Arsenal currently. Those are brainless defending, zero spine, zero leadership, and zero consistency. You keep turning blind eyes, Kroenke has given Arsenal a lot of money for players; Sanchez, Ozil, Auba, Lacazette, Xhaka, Pepe, etc. EVERYONE has been part of the problem, we need a good summer of transfers to set this club back on track. The youth squad does give me hope though.

All of the money we have used for transfers have been from our own profits, Kroenke is the only owner in English football to not invest a single penny of his own money into his club, most owners put hundreds of millions into their teams. We have a lower wage bill and have spent less than all other big 6 clubs besides Tottenham and we have spent considerably less too. This is simply a result of a lack of investment in a footballing world where money is the main key to sucess.

Wenger overacheived with every squad he had at his disposal here, besides his last season. Offensively, there were not many coaches in the world better than Wenger. The downfall of Wenger during his last few years was simply due to not wanting to play ugly football when neccesary, and Arteta has shown he can both play well and play greasy in a sucessfull manner, which is encouraging. Now Kroenke doesn’t have someone who can overacheive with a squad built on the cheap anymore, so he needs to start spending or f*** off.

The defense is less of an issue than people make it out to be. We don’t have enough progressive passing or creative runs from midfield, and no genius offensive coach to get a fluid offense going without sufficent players anymore. We need an expensive, gamechanging creative midfielder who can score, beat players and assist and a solid defensive midfielder who can protect the backline to turn things around. That is much more important than a strong central defender. We don’t create enough chances for our world class striker and elite 72 million pound winger, and the defence is not sheilded by the midfield enough. Central Midfield is by far the most important position in football, what separates Arsenal, Tottenham and United from Chelsea and Leicester this season is basically the difference in quality in central midfield. Ranking those teams central midfielders would look exactly like the order of those teams in the league table, besides central midfield the squads of all 5 teams are very comparable.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I must say most of the ties are really interesting on paper and there should be some good atmospheres.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You could take this discussion elsewhere since your club is OUT of the Europa!!!

We might as well discuss it here, why on earth does that matter even in the slightest? We can discuss this wherever we want, besides we are one of few clubs that are worth discussing in this irrelevant tinpot competition.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
We might as well discuss it here, why on earth does that matter even in the slightest? We can discuss this wherever we want, besides we are one of few clubs that are worth discussing in this irrelevant tinpot competition.
Yeah you are probably the worst or among the very worst of the richest clubs when it comes to your European Pedigree. 1 Trophy...The next step for you is probably out of Europe competition altogether very soon.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah you are probably the worst or among the very worst of the richest clubs when it comes to your European Pedigree. 1 Trophy...The next step for you is probably out of Europe competition altogether very soon.

We have been in the CL almost every year since its founding, and have been a top 3 most sucessfull english club ever by a very large margin down to the fourth. Along with our 13 league titles, a record 13 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and 15 Community Shields, also have 2 european trophies, so educate yourself on that.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You have 1 official European Trophy in your long "rich history"... So you are one of if not the most under-achieving of the big clubs when it comes to European Competitions. So nothing new this year.

Even if you count your other trophy in 1970...just go look at the list of clubs with more Impressive Resume.

Reactions: mmvvpp

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Here is a full list of clubs who have more European trophies than Arsenal

Madrid
Milan
Barca
Liverpool
Juventus
Bayern
Ajax
Inter
Atletico
Man United
Porto
Chelsea
Sevilla
Anderlecht
Valencia
Feyenoord
Hamburger SV
Parma
Nottingham Forest
Dortmund
Aston Villa
Tottenham
Schalke
Dynamo Kyiv
Benfica
PSV
Steaua (FCSB)
Marseille
Red Star
Monchengladbach
IFK Goteborg
Galatasaray
Zenit
Aberdeen
Lazio
KV Mechelen
PSG
Bremen
West Ham
Stuttgart
Villarreal

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You have 1 official European Trophy in your long "rich history"... So you are one of if not the most under-achieving of the big clubs when it comes to European Competitions. So nothing new this year.

Even if you count your other trophy in 1970...just go look at the list of clubs with more Impressive Resume.

No, we have two. I can't see how you are even arguing that when wikipedia and history books are accessible for absolutely anyone anywhere on the planet. Just look it up.

I also find it strange that people consider winning european trophies not named the UCL/ European cup as a relevant achievement. We have the third most english league titles and the most FA Cups. I would not trade that for 60 Europa Leagues.

We are the only club to be consistently great in almost every decade for 8 decades now. We are the second biggest club in England looking at history and fanbase, probably top 6-7 in the world.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Might as well not count the Europa League then. The single reason Arsenal have not won it is because we have almost always been to good to ever play in that completely irrelevant competition besides the last few years which have been our worst in many, many decades. Winning the UEL is almost embarrassing in a way, I wouldn't want the history books to ever remember us playing here if we get back to where we should soon ( a CL team every single season).

Winning the UEL is in every way just like winning the Championship, nothing to brag about. I don't think anyone would argue that Norwich, Reading or QPR are a bigger club domestically than a sustained top flight club like Tottenham because they have more lower league titles. The UCL, just like the Premier League, is the only title that matters in that pyramid for reasonably large clubs. I am sure most clubs would rather play the UCL round of 16 than win the UEL, the same way Aston Villa would rather finish 17th this year than finish 18th and win the Championship next season.

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Here is a full list of clubs who have more European trophies than Arsenal

Madrid
Milan
Barca
Liverpool
Juventus
Bayern
Ajax
Inter
Atletico
Man United
Porto
Chelsea
Sevilla
Anderlecht
Valencia
Feyenoord
Hamburger SV
Parma
Nottingham Forest
Dortmund
Aston Villa
Tottenham
Schalke
Dynamo Kyiv
Benfica
PSV
Steaua (FCSB)
Marseille
Red Star
Monchengladbach
IFK Goteborg
Galatasaray
Zenit
Aberdeen
Lazio
KV Mechelen
PSG
Bremen
West Ham
Stuttgart
Villarreal
Sorry i m not a big Arsenal-Fan ;), but here s something wrong. Villarreal and Stuttgart has never won a EC-Title. West Ham, Zenit, Mechelen, PSG, Bremen, Red Star,Lazio,Aberdeen, Galatasaray, Steaua, OM,S04 and Aston Villa won only 1 EC-Title. Remember Arsenal won 2 EC-Title. BMG, IFK, Kiev, Benfica, BVB, HSV, Nottingham, PSV won similary like Arsenal 2 Titles. But f.e. BVB won more Internatinal Titles(World Trophy) and the CL(It much more importent than other EC Titles.

More Titles than Arsenal:
Madrid
Milan
Barca
Liverpool
Juventus
Bayern
Ajax
Inter
Atletico
Man United
Porto
Chelsea
Sevilla
Anderlecht
Valencia
Feyenoord
Parma
Spurs

But more intersting are exceptional the CL-Stats. Arsenal won 0 CL-Titles.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Sorry i m not a big Arsenal-Fan ;), but here s something wrong. Villarreal and Stuttgart has never won a EC-Title. West Ham, Zenit, Mechelen, PSG, Bremen, Red Star,Lazio,Aberdeen, Galatasaray, Steaua, OM,S04 and Aston Villa won only 1 EC-Title. Remember Arsenal won 2 EC-Title. BMG, IFK, Kiev, Benfica, BVB, HSV, Nottingham, PSV won similary like Arsenal 2 Titles. But f.e. BVB won more Internatinal Titles(World Trophy) and the CL(It much more importent than other EC Titles.

More Titles than Arsenal:
Madrid
Milan
Barca
Liverpool
Juventus
Bayern
Ajax
Inter
Atletico
Man United
Porto
Chelsea
Sevilla
Anderlecht
Valencia
Feyenoord
Parma
Spurs

But more intersting are exceptional the CL-Stats. Arsenal won 0 CL-Titles.
This is what I’m going by. It’s what UEFA has listed as major European club titles.

053BFB63-0B76-41BB-94E6-682C0568403B.jpeg

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
No, we have two. I can't see how you are even arguing that when wikipedia and history books are accessible for absolutely anyone anywhere on the planet. Just look it up.

I also find it strange that people consider winning european trophies not named the UCL/ European cup as a relevant achievement. We have the third most english league titles and the most FA Cups. I would not trade that for 60 Europa Leagues.

We are the only club to be consistently great in almost every decade for 8 decades now. We are the second biggest club in England looking at history and fanbase, probably top 6-7 in the world.
Thank You for proving my point. You are the worst top club in terms of European Pedigree...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Thank You for proving my point. You are the worst top club in terms of European Pedigree...

Acting like Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, Roma, Lyon and PSG don’t exist? I know they are not even close to being as big of a club as Arsenal, not even in the conversation, but still, I would consider them ” top clubs”

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Acting like Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, Roma, Lyon and PSG don’t exist? I know they are not even close to being as big of a club as Arsenal, not even in the conversation, but still, I would consider them ” top clubs”
French teams are a disaster in Europe. Manchester City and PSG are nouveau riche. Atletico and Roma don't nearly have the same amount of success in their domestic league...So like I said one of the if not the worst big club in terms of European Pedigree.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Copenhagen Wolverhampton Rangers Shakhtar InterMilan Sevilla Basel ManchesterUnited

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad