GDT: 2019-20 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Which addition are you most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
You just got destroyed, @Foxtail !

It really is funny how the usual suspects seem to always have the wild takes on just about every subject. Always devils advocate, smh.
Huh, it's not a wild take goalies under 6 ft are not very successful anymore. The goalies mentioned above are either back ups, no longer in tbe NHL or 1 is mediorce starter and listed at 6ft not under. Halak has kept up his good play but he's still tbe back up in Boston.

Francouz is unproven and as a 29 year old after several seasons in Russia had
modest stats at best. He played well by all accounts but shouldn't a 29 year old that us bei g counted on as a NHL goalie have rhose kinds of numbers ?

Ftr he is 6ft

Would you want any of the goalies posted above on the team as a starter? Maybe a 3rd stringer.

I used the word journeyman regarding Frank cause he's played in several different leagues and places and hasn't come to North America until 29. He isn't a 20 year old kid .

My point was, he isn't the biggest guy , he could be nothing more than a capable backup which would still be ok. I'm not jumping up.and down over him because of a solid season in the AHL at 29 years old.

They don't have to be 6ft4 or anything but even Grubauer at 6ft1 leaves all kinds of room up top.

We have 2 smaller goalies by today's standards

Last edited:

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
He was the best goalie in the KHL genius. Modest stats at best. What an absolutely dumb take even for your standards.
yeah he had a few goosd seasons in the K so what I was talking about the AHL stats.

He had interest from 2 teams , the Avs and Nashville after his superb season in Russia, don't act like everyone was beating his door down.

Sorokin and Shestorkyn are widely regarded as the best goalies in Russia.

Look at the dufus in Edmonton, he had nice numbers in Russia as well.

He's 30 years old and signed for 900k stop treating him like a Vezina candidate there genius. The jury is still.out

Hopefully he plays 25 ish solid games
We don't even know if Grubauer can play 40 good ones yet.

Francouz played well enough to earn himself another 1 year deal at basically league minimum, nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Tough guys don't back down. If you want to see toughness watch the Blues' Stanley Cup run. .

Guys like Marchand, Kadri or Claude Lemieux are not tough guys, they are **** disturbers. There's a line between picking your fights because you're more valuable on the ice (like Landy) and being a weasel (like the former 3). Weasels are effective but aren't tough.

No one in the NHL is afraid of Nazem Kadri, I can tell you this much.

Guess Z isn't tough then. :nod:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
yeah he had a few goosd seasons in the K so what I was talking about the AHL stats.

He had interest from 2 teams , the Avs and Nashville after his superb season in Russia, don't act like everyone was beating his door down.

Sorokin and Shestorkyn are widely regarded as the best goalies in Russia.

Look at the dufus in Edmonton, he had nice numbers in Russia as well.

He's 30 years old and signed for 900k stop treating him like a Vezina candidate there genius. The jury is still.out

Hopefully he plays 25 ish solid games
We don't even know if Grubauer can play 40 good ones yet.

Francouz played well enough to earn himself another 1 year deal at basically league minimum, nothing more and nothing less.
You literally said he was unimpressive in the KHL, but good on you for not owning up to your inane narrative, but rather editing your post so you could change your narrative once you have been called out for posting nonsense. A real grown up move. Too bad the site timestamps edits so you couldn't get away with your little scheme.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
You literally said he was unimpressive in the KHL, but good on you for not owning up to your inane narrative, but rather editing your post so you could change your narrative once you have been called out for posting nonsense. A real grown up move. Too bad the site timestamps edits so you couldn't get away with your little scheme.

He didn't beat Bakersfield in the POs. So let's wait until the season begins to see how he does before characterizing how great or bad he is. We will find out soon enough.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Has anyone seen, if the rookie games are going to be streamed again? If I remember both Vegas and the Ducks were streaming theirs last year right?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Has anyone seen, if the rookie games are going to be streamed again? If I remember both Vegas and the Ducks were streaming theirs last year right?
The nhl seems to mandate it now. The caveat might be that one has to watch in the Avs market for our stream but a few others were open. Or there’s other means. But yes it should be streamed.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Everything. No one knows how Francouz will do next season. Hopefully well. But the bickering seems pretty pointless now.
I have no idea what you're on about. I called out a guy for posting nonsense because he said Francouz was mediocre in the K, which is a blatant fallacy.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I have no idea what you're on about. I called out a guy for posting nonsense because he said Francouz was mediocre in the K, which is a blatant fallacy.

Gigantor and tigervixxxen already gave a pretty good summation that provided a great context on Francouz and his stats. You can spin them any way you want to in interpreting them. Same thing with analytics. Bottom line, Francouz still has to prove he can play in the NHL next season. I think he will do well. But I'd rather wait to see how the players do on the ice than go to war in a forum.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Gigantor and tigervixxxen already gave a pretty good summation that provided a great context on Francouz and his stats. You can spin them any way you want to in interpreting them. Same thing with analytics. Bottom line, Francouz still has to prove he can play in the NHL next season. I think he will do well. But I'd rather wait to see how the players do on the ice than go to war in a forum.
Still have no idea what this rabble has to do with me commenting on his past performances based on what I saw from him in the KHL, I said nothing about the AHL, his stats etc. But do continue.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Still have no idea what this rabble has to do with me commenting on his past performances based on what I saw from him in the KHL, I said nothing about the AHL, his stats etc. But do continue.

I saw his play in the AHL. Seems just as relevant, if not more so than his play in the KHL.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I never said he was unimpressive in the KHL you must have misunderstood

I said his AHL numbers were ok but nothing spectacular for a 29 year old counted on to be an above average NHL goalie . He got signed to 1 year at league minimum again and if he doesn't pan out he will be gone, no loss either way. I don't think he with be with the Avs regardless or they'd have signed him longer and for more money. He could have gone elsewhere but once again no one was all that interested. If he was so damn spectacular why is this the case. Cause he's still unproven and questionable at the NHL level is why.

If he does well he might get a backup shot somewhere else, if not then back to Russia

I should ad that this is probably the best or at least one of the best places for him to steal or at least share an NHL job.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kaut is still 61, there’s a typo on the graphic. It’s still 61 on the pdf sheets.

As far as Frank, I think it’s fair to be optimistic. He was one of the best AHL goalies. He was an all-star, as GG has pointed out he was tops in quality starts, GSAA and save %. I saw with my own eyes every night how important he was to that team. He had a successful run in the KHL, been an Olympian and a long pro and international career. I have no issues with him as the backup. I also like his personality and attitude, he’s a calm down to earth guy and has been very accepting of the process to get to the NHL. I wish the Avs would have given him a few actual starts last year because certainly they knew what plan A was but probably wouldn’t have changed much. One reason I think they have decided to move Frank up to backup is because they know he might not clear waivers if they try to get him in the AHL again so it forced their hand. With the total dumpster dive teams do every year for goaltending I don’t think it’s accurate to say nobody would be interested in him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I saw his play in the AHL. Seems just as relevant, if not more so than his play in the KHL.
Again, and for the last time, I was commenting what someone posted about his tenure in the KHL and I commented only on the erroneous claim in his post. I have no idea why you chose to go on a crusade posting about things I never mentioned or even alluded to in my post.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This is Gabriel Landeskog naked on a surf board. I will not provide context.

5fftIp6.jpg

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Again, and for the last time, I was commenting what someone posted about his tenure in the KHL and I commented only on the erroneous claim in his post. I have no idea why you chose to go on a crusade posting about things I never mentioned or even alluded to in my post.

I don't think Foxtail is completely wrong or right. Same as I do with you. What matters will be how Francouz does in the NHL.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think Foxtail is completely wrong or right. Same as I do with you. What matters will be how Francouz does in the NHL.
To claim that Francouz has been anything but exceptional in the KHL is so absurd it boggles the mind. And again you go on about stuff I never touched on.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No, he's wrong. :laugh: You don't have to bothsides this to death.

You can say he hasn't proven a thing in the NHL and no one would disagree with you. But to say he wasn't great in the KHL or just take a cursory look at his numbers in the AHL without any context whatsoever and say he wasn't impressive are both very bad takes. One can say he isn't guaranteed to be an NHL goalie, but one doesn't have to take the extra step of posting nonsense to try and prove that point.

Reactions: LTC Pain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad