GDT: 2019-20 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Which addition are you most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Pet peeve...but how in the world are the players listed on that roster? It's not alphabetical, it's not by sweater number, it's not by position (C, LW, RW, etc).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Pet peeve...but how in the world are the players listed on that roster? It's not alphabetical, it's not by sweater number, it's not by position (C, LW, RW, etc).
They're listed alphabetically in groups, but they seem to have royally f***ed up the forward thing. Seems like a solid copy+paste job of some kind.

Last edited:

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
Kadri is gonna give us secondary scoring and toughness which we needed. So I think its going to be the most easy to see

Reactions: Koolboss

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
You should probably tell Halak, Khudobin, Bernier, Raanta, and Saros that they can't be NHL goalies due to their size. Especially that Halak guy. Would have won the Cup if he was the no. 3 and some random +6' 2" goalie was the back-up.

What exactly are Joe and others not buying? Francouz as a back-up because that's just Sakic playing the situation well. Brings over the KHL Goalie of the Year, watches as he leads the Eagles into the playoffs an average goalie would not have been able to do, and then gets him on a cheap deal because he has no NHL experience. And very average numbers? Do you know what the AHL league average SV% was this past year? 0.9035 and Francouz had a 0.918. In what world is that average?

Also you're using the word "journeyman" wrong. Journeyman implies that Francouz has been jumping from organization to organization like Dustin Tokarksi. Francouz is just making his NHL jump very late comparatively but every so often there's a Tim Thomas that comes along. Francouz isn't going to be Thomas but he just needs to be a back-up. The bar for back-up is pretty low in the league considering there aren't even enough NHL starters for the league. The guy just owned the AHL in his first year there while adjusting to NA play style. Might as well give him a chance. Better than running with a Michael Hutchinson.
Raanta is the only #1 there and it's with Arizona lol but ya I get the point just not comfortable with a goalie under 6ft1 he is listed at 6ft though, even Grubauer who is 6ft1 leaves a lot of room upstairs.

Not complaining though if Grubauer can play lke he did down the stretch , not expecting it every game or anything and Francouz can repeat his play.

Like to see a decent #3

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yes he is, he plays a tough game. Maybe not in the fighting sense, but he plays hard.

That's like saying Forsberg wasn't tough.

No that's not. Unless you think chirping is playing tough? He doesnt play like Forsberg at all. He doesnt really hit, he doesnt play a heavy game...he gets suspended when he loses his cool and gets dirty. You can be the biggest p***y on the ice and crosscheck someone in the face, that doesnt mean you're tough.

Guys like Compher and Wilson are tougher than Kadri. He has other qualities but if you expect physicality it's actually a downgrade from Soda.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No that's not. Unless you think chirping is playing tough? He doesnt play like Forsberg at all. He doesnt really hit, he doesnt play a heavy game...he gets suspended when he loses his cool and gets dirty. You can be the biggest ***** on the ice and crosscheck someone in the face, that doesnt mean you're tough.

Guys like Compher and Wilson are tougher than Kadri. He has other qualities but if you expect physicality it's actually a downgrade from Soda.

This post somehow just got more and more inaccurate as it went on with the capper being the Soderberg comment. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I wouldn't label Kadri a tough guy but he does have those components. He'll hit, occasionally fight, get into scrums, agitate, etc.

Last edited:

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Yup. Kadri is charmin soft

Is there a rule you have to play the ****tiest music possible for a hockey compilation? I recommend watching that one on mute.

Nice. Him and Landy on a line together are going to be a headache for other teams to play against.

Reactions: Koolboss

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No that's not. Unless you think chirping is playing tough? He doesnt play like Forsberg at all. He doesnt really hit, he doesnt play a heavy game...he gets suspended when he loses his cool and gets dirty. You can be the biggest ***** on the ice and crosscheck someone in the face, that doesnt mean you're tough.

I truly question if you've ever watched Kadri play much.

He's not Tom Wilson or prime Milan Lucic out there, but the dude is tough and is physical.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
so any of these rookie camp invites has some kind of NHL potential? could one of those end up signing and being an interesting addition to our system?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, definitely not a downgrade on Soda in terms of physicality. In the playoffs Soda would avoid eye contact after getting hit and play was stopped.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yup. Kadri is charmin soft

Is there a rule you have to play the ****tiest music possible for a hockey compilation? I recommend watching that one on mute.

That's not being tough, that's being a pest. I'll gladly revisit this topic later this season.

I'm glad to have a pest in our team BTW.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Kadri plays an opportunistic physical game - likes to headhunt on the forecheck. He's not a tough guy, but he's an agitator. I really hope he can clean it up a little, don't like the cheap stuff, but I do think 95% of the time he's going to make clean hits, and give the opposing defenseman second thoughts when skating back to break the puck out

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So the multiple highlights of Kadri flattening opponents with a big hit is being a pest?
There were about 10 clean hits in the entire 5 minute video. Throwing sucker punches, cross checking Chara in the back, taking out Ovechkin at the knees, targeting Wingels head when his down, and pulling Jumbo's beard isn't being tough. He's a shit disturber. He's Matt Cooke with a sick set of hands. I personally don't consider him a tough player but I have to admit he's god damn fearless when picking his battles.

Reactions: Hagstrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad