GDT: 2019-20 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Which addition are you most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There were about 10 clean hits in the entire 5 minute video. Throwing sucker punches, cross checking Chara in the back, taking out Ovechkin at the knees, targeting Wingels head when his down, and pulling Jumbo's beard isn't being tough. He's a **** disturber. He's Matt Cooke with a sick set of hands. I personally don't consider him a tough player but I have to admit he's god damn fearless when picking his battles.

Yeah there was some questionable stuff and some obviously bad hits in there. Some of those also were a result of guys trying to avoid hits too. I do like that he stands up for himself and fights people like Backes or whoever.

If I'm remembering right Marchy rarely fights his own battles. That was the shit thing about Cooke too.

I don't blame Marchand or Kadri much for not fighting constantly though. They are more valuable on the ice.

I'm kind of wondering if Cole, Z, and others are going to end up in more shit this season. It will be interesting to see if Kadri brings out more of that in the team in general. Which is also going to light some fires under teams we already hate.

This season is going to be interesting to say the least. So many different things to watch for.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ok, now I'm truly curious as to what you define as "tough". Because it seems like an incredibly high bar.

Tough guys don't back down. If you want to see toughness watch the Blues' Stanley Cup run. .

Guys like Marchand, Kadri or Claude Lemieux are not tough guys, they are shit disturbers. There's a line between picking your fights because you're more valuable on the ice (like Landy) and being a weasel (like the former 3). Weasels are effective but aren't tough.

No one in the NHL is afraid of Nazem Kadri, I can tell you this much.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Tough guys don't back down. If you want to see toughness watch the Blues' Stanley Cup run. .

Guys like Marchand, Kadri or Claude Lemieux are not tough guys, they are **** disturbers. There's a line between picking your fights because you're more valuable on the ice (like Landy) and being a weasel (like the former 3). Weasels are effective but aren't tough.

No one in the NHL is afraid of Nazem Kadri, I can tell you this much.
Ok? Who is saying Nazem Kadri backs down?

Being afraid of a player =/= tough. Nobody in the NHL is afraid of Milan Lucic anymore, either, because he's well past his prime. It doesn't mean he isn't a tough player.

I seriously question your definition of tough. There must only be a handful of guys in NHL history that meet your criteria.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
There were about 10 clean hits in the entire 5 minute video. Throwing sucker punches, cross checking Chara in the back, taking out Ovechkin at the knees, targeting Wingels head when his down, and pulling Jumbo's beard isn't being tough. He's a **** disturber. He's Matt Cooke with a sick set of hands. I personally don't consider him a tough player but I have to admit he's god damn fearless when picking his battles.
I never said he wasn't dirty or didn't cheap shot guys. I don't consider him a "pest" because he'll throw big hits, he'll stand up and fight when necessary, he'll stick his nose in the middle of the sh!tstorm without hesitation. He certainly doesn't shy away or back down as some are claiming. Dirty? Sure. A pain in the arse to play against? Yup! A pest? Not so much.

Also, you don't consider him a tough player but say he's god damn fearless when picking his battles. Would a little pest be god damn fearless when picking his battles?

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ok? Who is saying Nazem Kadri backs down?

Being afraid of a player =/= tough. Nobody in the NHL is afraid of Milan Lucic anymore, either, because he's well past his prime. It doesn't mean he isn't a tough player.

I seriously question your definition of tough. There must only be a handful of guys in NHL history that meet your criteria.
Tough is a matter of perspective. To a bouncer at a strip club Tyler Arnason is "tough"

Reactions: dahrougem2

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Tough is a matter of perspective. To a bouncer at a strip club Tyler Arnason is "tough"

Hello, crazy eyes!

39_tyler_arnason_-_getty.0.jpg

:laugh:

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I went with Makar because of the importance of the role he will be playing (#1D #1PPQB)

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Well, it's supposed to show all the new numbers

Connauton is #7
Alt is #10
Timmins is #20
Bellamare is #41

Which I suppose means Byrum is #45 as that's his Rookie Camp # shown. Would rather he'd stick with #24 that he had or take #4.

Pretty sure Byram's 45 was just his assigned rookie camp number. I imagine he'll probably go with 4 or 44 when he makes the team.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Well, it's supposed to show all the new numbers

Connauton is #7
Alt is #10
Timmins is #20
Bellamare is #41

Which I suppose means Byrum is #45 as that's his Rookie Camp # shown. Would rather he'd stick with #24 that he had or take #4.
There's hope for Timmins after all :sarcasm:

Reactions: Avs_19

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
You should probably tell Halak, Khudobin, Bernier, Raanta, and Saros that they can't be NHL goalies due to their size. Especially that Halak guy. Would have won the Cup if he was the no. 3 and some random +6' 2" goalie was the back-up.

What exactly are Joe and others not buying? Francouz as a back-up because that's just Sakic playing the situation well. Brings over the KHL Goalie of the Year, watches as he leads the Eagles into the playoffs an average goalie would not have been able to do, and then gets him on a cheap deal because he has no NHL experience. And very average numbers? Do you know what the AHL league average SV% was this past year? 0.9035 and Francouz had a 0.918. In what world is that average?

Also you're using the word "journeyman" wrong. Journeyman implies that Francouz has been jumping from organization to organization like Dustin Tokarksi. Francouz is just making his NHL jump very late comparatively but every so often there's a Tim Thomas that comes along. Francouz isn't going to be Thomas but he just needs to be a back-up. The bar for back-up is pretty low in the league considering there aren't even enough NHL starters for the league. The guy just owned the AHL in his first year there while adjusting to NA play style. Might as well give him a chance. Better than running with a Michael Hutchinson.

You just got destroyed, @Foxtail !

It really is funny how the usual suspects seem to always have the wild takes on just about every subject. Always devils advocate, smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad