Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Granlund could be okay, but he’s been bad for about a year now I don’t think we are the right system for him to bounce back in. If we do add a top six player you gotta imagine that Pavelski comes out of the top six. Big yikes to 7M on the fourth line.

Reactions: MilesNewton

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars do need more of a playmaker . Just look at the low number of assists on the team.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
My guess it has to do with fans preferring not to trade within the division. Granlund would make sense - he has not clicked well in Nashville at all.

The positive thing here is that he was already traded once within the division, so why not go two-for-two :naughty:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I think it was a week or so ago, but Thornton mentioned that he would consider waiving in order to facilitate a trade. I saw there was some more discussion among media about him potentially moving.

None of the traditional playmakers that are likely available are top options. They're either aging and fading like Thornton or in a terrible season statistically like Granlund.

I think if you go the route of trying to prop up your scorers with a playmaker, your options aren't ideal, but it is likely the direction Dallas can afford to go in terms of assets. Just considering Nill and the guys he targets, Thornton would probably be at the top of his list.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Granlund could be okay, but he’s been bad for about a year now I don’t think we are the right system for him to bounce back in. If we do add a top six player you gotta imagine that Pavelski comes out of the top six. Big yikes to 7M on the fourth line.

Seems unlikely considering Pavelski is in the Top 6 right now with Janmark while Gurianov is on what would be considered the 4th line. It's like this on most teams so it's not entirely a swipe at Bones, but it's not a meritocracy in Dallas.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Seems unlikely considering Pavelski is in the Top 6 right now with Janmark while Gurianov is on what would be considered the 4th line. It's like this on most teams so it's not entirely a swipe at Bones, but it's not a meritocracy in Dallas.

Yeah fair enough at this point I personally like Gurianov’s game more than Pavelski, but looking at it realistically the veteran isn’t going to get bumped down the line up it’ll be the rookie.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Granlund was on a 64 pt pace before the trade to NSH. His post-trade PDO has been low as f***. Well worth the shot to acquire a guy like that- very strong bounce back candidate.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Granlund was on a 64 pt pace before the trade to NSH. His post-trade PDO has been low as ****. Well worth the shot to acquire a guy like that- very strong bounce back candidate.

I agree he is likely the better target. I'm just suggesting that when you factor in Jim Nill, it would not surprise me if Thornton was preferred by him.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
A playmaker makes sense because in theory: Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Gurianov, Hintz, and Pavelski could all play the goalscorer role. Really just need another quality forward who is good offensively.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
some skilled passing would be awesome to add to this lineup, but like Bigg's post earlier.. who do you let go? the team has the 2nd best record since nov 1... that's not something you want to blow up, you want to tinker cautiously.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
ESPN has IMO what seems to be a completely unrealistic trade proposal (not a rumor ... NOT A RUMOR):

Dallas Stars get: C Blake Coleman, 2020 fifth-round pick
New Jersey Devils get: 2021 third-round pick, RW Joel L'Esperance, G Colton Point

NHL experts propose six trades ahead of the deadline

Dallas would be nuts to not take that deal, but NJ would be crazy to accept that deal.

That would be awesome if we could pull that deal off lol. I’d love to acquire Coleman, but I’m afraid of the cost

serp

Jan 17, 2016
ESPN has IMO what seems to be a completely unrealistic trade proposal (not a rumor ... NOT A RUMOR):

New Jersey Devils get: 2021 third-round pick, RW Joel L'Esperance, G Colton Point

Dallas would be nuts to not take that deal, but NJ would be crazy to accept that deal.

So a 3rd and two guys likely not NHL players for 20+ goal scorer Blake Coleman and a we get a 5th back . Yeah i'd take that. Thats a no brainer . Coleman isn't even UFA in the summer and signed dirt cheap.

I sincerely doubt ESPN has any idea who any of our prospects are because thats not exactly high quality they put in there .

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's not perfect, but Dzingel is a comparable to Coleman in terms of value/production/age. An expiring contract for Dzingel landed a pretty good haul.

Ottawa Senators traded Ryan Dzingel and a seventh-round draft pick in 2019 to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Antony Duclair, a second-round draft pick in 2020 and a second-round draft pick in 2021.

Duclair was a pretty fringe asset at the time. He'd already burned out on multiple teams. If Dzingel can get two 2nd round picks, I can't imagine in what world Coleman on a better contract with an extra year would get anything remotely less. I think you'd probably lose a 2nd and a roster player like Jason Dickinson and possibly a lesser prospect. I also don't think it makes sense to trade Dickinson with the cap extremely tight next year because he is a natural replacement to slide into the 3rd line center role. Faksa will likely be the best candidate to move in order to relieve some of the cap pressure.

Just in terms of the on ice product, I also don't think at the TDL it makes much sense to hurt the team by losing Dickinson who is extremely valuable on the ice especially considering he's been sliding up the lineup often in the Top 9 successfully because of injuries. Not to mention, he's a key penalty killer. Any trade that weakens the team even if it is adding some offense isn't a good move trying to get into and compete in the playoffs.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also, and this is coming from a person that would be please to acquire Coleman, Dzingel is also a cautionary tale. He was in the middle of only his 2nd 20 goal season when he was traded from a bad team. He did nothing for a Columbus team that was in the playoffs, and his a fringe player for a playoff contender this year in Carolina. Coleman didn't become an NHLer until he was 26 years old on a bad team, and he's in the middle of his 2nd 20 goal season.

There's a reasonable chance at 28 years old, this is the absolute peak of Coleman. You're not penciling him in as a Top 6 forward. He's a guy that is going to play more of a checking role, and you have a fairly similar guy in Blake Comeau. Comeau was a 17 and 24 goal scorer in his 3rd and 4th years in the NHL as well. Think of Steve Ott too who also had a very short window as a scorer.

I'm just saying historically, this isn't the type of player that sustains his offensive production for very long.

Reactions: serp

Rory

Jun 14, 2017

Not really a game changer that this team needs but I would not say no to that offer. He does seem like good friends with some star players.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Not really a game changer that this team needs but I would not say no to that offer. He does seem like good friends with some star players.

I believe he spends his offseasons here and early training camp days practicing with the Stars pretty much. This is home for him so I'd guess eventually one way or another he ends up in a Stars jersey eventually but idk

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That Dallas connection is interesting, but it won't be the reason to sign him. His UFA season does coincide though with a potential Dallas need. Dallas will lose Cogliano and Comeau next year, and while they should not replace both ... it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a guy like Coleman. Also, Faksa, could theoretically end up on 1 year deal and test UFA meaning the whole FCC line could be gone after next season.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Thornton refused a trade to Dallas the year they got Spezza, so Nill has shown interest before. Not sure if that would sour either side though.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad