GDT: 2019-20 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
She's not a beat reporter though...shes a team reporter hired by the team to report what the team asks. If she knew about a trade but didn't get the go ahead from the front office she won't break the trade.

Considering the actual beat writers didn't know crap either not exactly a big deal. I can't remember the last time something got broken by a local beat guy and that includes TG/Chere.

Amanda never breaks anything even when she is around, most she'd be doing is giving back and forth commentary with the loons on Twitter.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Considering the actual beat writers didn't know crap either not exactly a big deal. I can't remember the last time something got broken by a local beat guy and that includes TG/Chere.

Understood - but I think that we were spoiled by TG - and even (I cringe as I write this) Chere - who seemed to be *right there* when something happened so it at least gave the appearance that there was some immediate feedback/analysis from a trusted source. You could even count on Gross having something to say...

There definitely isn't that feeling today - oh, but wait - someone please remind me that Amanda works for the DEVILS and therefore, it is ok.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Gotta say I'm not happy about any of the deals, they are all pointless and/or underwhelming. I really expected at least a third rounder for Simmonds and hoped we'd either sign Vatanen or that he'd return 2nd+ or even a late 1st. Also we flipped Domingue into an even worse goalie. Well it is what it is, we gained pretty much nothing but didn't really lose much either. Having gotten used to trades that favor the devils on paper, this is very disappointing.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Understood - but I think that we were spoiled by TG - and even (I cringe as I write this) Chere - who seemed to be *right there* when something happened so it at least gave the appearance that there was some immediate feedback/analysis from a trusted source. You could even count on Gross having something to say...

There definitely isn't that feeling today - oh, but wait - someone please remind me that Amanda works for the DEVILS and therefore, it is ok.

Well the problem is more the 'actual' beat writers who don't work for the team than the team social media reporter who does. She'd only break something if the team wanted her to, but as it is the Devils break stuff themselves on Twitter when they do that.

Chris Ryan was barely visible on Twitter today, Abbey a little more so at least though she's always one Twitter goof away from going off on someone or running off on a tangent. They're obviously not going to have the sources that the Canadian guys in the know do, but yeah a little more day-of commentary would be nice.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
To be fair, most of the media team was actually in the air on the way to Detroit for the game tomorrow when the Vatanen trade happened.

Which, in and of itself is complete clownshow and exactly my point... that you cannot somehow have someone available on arguably our most important media day until like July 1. No other flights to Detroit from the center of the world NY today? No flights yesterday? No #2 person to handle duties?

I'm sure the Maple Leafs media team probably was in the air or something too and had no one available.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
A 1st for Goodrow?!

I hope Fitz has JBB’s number on speed dial for next deadline - assuming they’re both still employed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Gotta say I'm not happy about any of the deals, they are all pointless and/or underwhelming. I really expected at least a third rounder for Simmonds and hoped we'd either sign Vatanen or that he'd return 2nd+ or even a late 1st. Also we flipped Domingue into an even worse goalie. Well it is what it is, we gained pretty much nothing but didn't really lose much either. Having gotten used to trades that favor the devils on paper, this is very disappointing.

Then that's your mistake. There's no way on earth Simmonds was going to return a third-rounder when he got a 4th rounder last year and had twice as many goals as he did this year.

The Domingue deal was quasi-pointless, I guess they saved money by trading a better AHL goalie for a worse one. Simmonds you could argue was pointless but then again people would be *****ing when he botched Hughes passes over and over again while kids were still not playing as much. Vat they took what they could get, and people make the mistake of only looking at value in terms of what picks you get back.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Which, in and of itself is complete clownshow and exactly my point... that you cannot somehow have someone available on arguably our most important media day until like July 1. No other flights to Detroit from the center of the world NY today? No flights yesterday? No #2 person to handle duties?

I'm sure the Maple Leafs media team probably was in the air or something too and had no one available.

You're comparing the biggest market in hockey to New Jersey? :laugh:

Just follow the national guys on TSN. They are all the insiders anyway.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

You're right, of course- but I'm just bummed that there has seemed to be an actual descent into Mickey Mousedom over the last few years from a point where I thought we were arcing into a 'real' hockey market... after a long, arduous, ascent from Mickey Mousedom.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’m really shocked that palms wasn’t traded I guess teams didn’t want to match what the devils wanted. ESp seeing what guys returned first round picks I’m double shocked palm price wasn’t matched

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Hard to believe but Mcintyre may be worse than Domingue. A change of scenery if probably best for both of them.

Assuredly Zane McIntyre is worse than Domingue - and the change of scenery probably should involve any backdrop that doesn't involve nets, sticks and pucks.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Nothing earth shattering today. A bunch of meh for a bunch of meh.
Was hoping for a first about a month ago for Vatanen...and then a 2nd about a week ago for him. The injury killed his value, no other way to say it. Hopefully the prospect we got back is decent.
Sure glad we traded Greene and Coleman early....If they were dealt today...Greene for a 4th and Coleman for 2nd and prospect.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

It isn’t about market size. There are independent beat writers (Portzline in Columbus is a great example) in small markets that do a great job reporting on their team. It is about working hard and developing relationships and sources within the organization.

Abby and Chris don’t do that. They wait for the press release from the team. Corey at the Athletic does a better job on the analysis and deep dive stuff. But even a lot that is fluff that most fans probably don’t care about.

Reactions: billingtons ghost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad