Confirmed with Link: 2019-20 Senators Assistant Captains: Borowiecki, Hainsey, Pageau

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Hey man, no worries. We're all allowed our own opinions on these things. It's all good.

I'm not here to dictate who likes what. Just adding my own $0.02 on the topic.

Yeah, fair enough, I didn't realize anything about Ryan, so I'll defer to you on that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, they pick the Guys to get letters for the players in the room, not the fans.

Some fans may hate on Boro, but it’s well known that the players love the guy, appreciate his grit and sacrifice.

Looking at the three A’s, it’s pretty obvious why they were each chosen. Hainsey is a league wide leader, and was very outspoken last CBA lockout. He has a ton of pro experience, a cup, and is a hard working character player.

The team had emphasized character and hard work as to pillars to the new team identity, and each of the Alternates represents these core qualities.

If you can convince the skill guys to play with the heart of Boro and Pageau, well, that’s a scary team.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
IMO, if 22yo Thomas Chabot can’t handle the pressure of an A, then that doesn’t bode well for his future performance in the playoffs if ever the Sens get back there.

I’ll buy the argument with Tkachuck but Chabot should have gotten an A before Hainsey. Chabot is supposed to be the face of the franchise, he’ll be on the ice half the game, he can lead by example. The biggest distraction for Chabot this season wouldn’t be the A but his contract extension. Actually, I think I just answered my own question as to why Chabot didn’t get a letter, they didn’t want to have his agent use it against the team during negotiations.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
IMO, if 22yo Thomas Chabot can’t handle the pressure of an A, then that doesn’t bode well for his future performance in the playoffs if ever the Sens get back there.

I’ll buy the argument with Tkachuck but Chabot should have gotten an A before Hainsey. Chabot is supposed to be the face of the franchise, he’ll be on the ice half the game, he can lead by example. The biggest distraction for Chabot this season wouldn’t be the A but his contract extension. Actually, I think I just answered my own question as to why Chabot didn’t get a letter, they didn’t want to have his agent use it against the team during negotiations.

There really is no reason for Chabot to not have an A. He's by far the best player on the team, an all-star, and will likely be a top 10/15 defenseman in the entire league this year. Including him over Boro would have made it a well-rounded group. I'm sure he would have embraced the opportunity as well.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
There really is no reason for Chabot to not have an A. He's by far the best player on the team, an all-star, and will likely be a top 10/15 defenseman in the entire league this year. Including him over Boro would have made it a well-rounded group. I'm sure he would have embraced the opportunity as well.

Maybe anticipating a trade prior to or unmatched offerhseet situation?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Wasn't Chabot, Tkachuk and White already answering the media last year without letter?

Having a letter really doesn't matter. They talked to Chabot in the media recently about the captancy and he said that it would be great having it but that they don't need a letter to be leader in their own way. It's pretty common to say that, but it's also true.

We all know that in a short futur, Chabot and Tkachuk and maybe White will get letter. Probably one will even have the C. They are already acting like leader, it won't change.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Wasn't Chabot, Tkachuk and White already answering the media last year without letter?

Having a letter really doesn't matter. They talked to Chabot in the media recently about the captancy and he said that it would be great having it but that they don't need a letter to be leader in their own way. It's pretty common to say that, but it's also true.

We all know that in a short futur, Chabot and Tkachuk and maybe White will get letter. Probably one will even have the C. They are already acting like leader, it won't change.
Only because this was what the team looked like after the trade deadline...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

100 percent plus all these players are on expiring UFA deals, no continuity they are all likely getting traded if the organization is commited to the rebuild.

If they really didnt give Chabot one because of his up coming contract were in bigger trouble than we thought.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I'm sure he can handle it , but does he need to handle it, now?

This is the first year following a teardown. The rebuild essentially starts this year and they will lose a lot of games. Why does he have to chime in? Let the kids play. Let them pay here and the rest of them in Belleville.

Reactions: jules6565

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like it.

As others have said, don't associate this season with any of our young guys.

They should be focused solely on learning how to be better hockey players.

Let the veterans face the music once the dog days hit.

My only concern is whether this makes it more difficult to scratch Boro if he's not playing well enough.

You can change all the letters around as soon as next season if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I like it.

As others have said, don't associate this season with any of our young guys.

They should be focused solely on learning how to be better hockey players.

Let the veterans face the music once the dog days hit.

My only concern is whether this makes it more difficult to scratch Boro if he's not playing well enough.

There is a realistic scenario that both Borowiecki and Hainsey (at 38, he could drop off at any moment) are not good enough to play every day in December/January, if Brannstrom, Jaros, Lajoie, Wolanin (after he returns) develop.

I'd say that this does make them both more difficult to scratch, but in reality, I don't think this team plans of scratching Borowiecki in any scenario.

Judging by DJ Smith's performance running the defense in Toronto, being able to keep up in your own end isn't make or break when it comes to getting ice time.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I agree, however picking 3 veterans all on expiring UFA deals when you are the consensus pick for last place is pretty short sighted. I am not saying they should give it to the young guys I actually dont think they should. However if the team is doing this rebuild properly all three of these players should be traded this season. The only one that they should consider extending is Pageau, therefore he is the only one that should be getting a letter. Giving it to Boro and Hainsey guarantees they are in the lineup and they are easily the 6th and 7th worst d men on the team. No forsight at all from this coaching and management group. Just when a tiny bit of optimism starts creeping in were reminded of how this team got to where we are. Its depressing.

No, the fact that they are giving it to them proves they do have foresight. Giving them the 'A' this year shows that there will be openings next year. This means the young guys on the team have the opportunity this season to grow into a leadership position as opposed to have it slapped onto them from the top.

You even admit yourself that giving it to the young guys this year is probably not the best idea. Giving it to those UFA/vets this year puts the team in a position to give it to some of the young guys next year.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
At least it wasn't like the Sharks... They just named like half their roster Alternate Captains. (Burns, Karlsson, Thornton, Hertl)

Why shouldn't you have a deep core of established star leaders who can wear patches?

Anyway, how you give a guy an A on an NHL roster when he might not even be a top 3 d on your AHL team?

Man has the standards for this once great team fallen.

This teams a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand0m

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
I get Hainsey. He's played in the league for 17 years, won a cup, and has pretty much seen everything there is to see.

I get Pageau. One of our longest serving players, will play an important role both offensively and defensively, and has some fantastic clutch performances under his belt.

I don't understand why we keep shoehorning Borowiecki into a "leadership" role. He's, at best, a #6 defenseman, hasn't played 350 games in the league, and has never contributed to a winning team. And frankly, with Chabot, Zaitsev, Demelo, Hainsey, Wolanin, Jaros, Brannstrom and Lajoie all at camp, shouldn't even be pencilled onto the roster.

Should have been Hainsey, Pageau and Chabot.

The old veteran, long-time serving player, and up and coming face of the team.

Tank Commander?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No, the fact that they are giving it to them proves they do have foresight. Giving them the 'A' this year shows that there will be openings next year. This means the young guys on the team have the opportunity this season to grow into a leadership position as opposed to have it slapped onto them from the top.

You even admit yourself that giving it to the young guys this year is probably not the best idea. Giving it to those UFA/vets this year puts the team in a position to give it to some of the young guys next year.

We just dont see eye to eye on anything, the last time you quoted you presented my argument disingenously I am not sure what response you expect out of me but ill give it a shot and hope you can take the time to listen and read carefully before responding.

There should be some continuity with the leadership group; as players come up with one another a specific standard should be set by players that are going to be around for the long haul. Handing out letters to players that are going to be in trade rumors all year is very short sighted and can definitely be a distraction. Specifically Boro, who is barely an NHL player who when the entire D core is health shouldnt even dress. That coupled with a player that just arrived and doesnt know the room or his specific role in it yet makes no sense. Hainsey will be a leader by default due to how few veterans there are and his experience a letter was not needed. He is going to get traded this year, its a mixed message. The only young player that should have got one was Chabot, he is 22 the best player on this team and is going to be on the ice the most and should be in the teams plans long term. The only real reason I can see for him not getting a letter is the sens dont want it as leverage in contract negotiations. Which is again short sighted. He is more than ready for an A. Not a C but an A.

I agree with Pageau getting a letter 100 percent that was a good decision.

Reactions: Rand0m

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We just dont see eye to eye on anything, the last time you quoted you presented my argument disingenously I am not sure what response you expect out of me but ill give it a shot and hope you can take the time to listen and read carefully before responding.

There should be some continuity with the leadership group; as players come up with one another a specific standard should be set by players that are going to be around for the long haul. Handing out letters to players that are going to be in trade rumors all year is very short sighted and can definitely be a distraction. Specifically Boro, who is barely an NHL player who when the entire D core is health shouldnt even dress. That coupled with a player that just arrived and doesnt know the room or his specific role in it yet makes no sense. Hainsey will be a leader by default due to how few veterans there are and his experience a letter was not needed. He is going to get traded this year, its a mixed message. The only young player that should have got one was Chabot, he is 22 the best player on this team and is going to be on the ice the most and should be in the teams plans long term. The only real reason I can see for him not getting a letter is the sens dont want it as leverage in contract negotiations. Which is again short sighted. He is more than ready for an A. Not a C but an A.

I also don't understand why they made this announcement before camp started, especially when it comes to a guy like Borowiecki.

Let's say Brannstrom knocks everyone's socks off in camp (with the hype around him, that could certainly happen) and Jaros takes another step forward.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Demelo
Hainsey - Jaros
Borowiecki

Are you scratching one of your "leaders" in game 1?

Probably not. Which means a better player, with more potential and a bigger future, will sit.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I agree there should be continuity. I feel like all three players represent three different segments of the leadership.

-Boro is the most tenured player on the team (besides Andy), and already wore the A at times last season. He represents the existing leadership segment.
-Hainsey is the oldest player on the team and comes over with 3 other players and the head coach that he played with last season. He represents the principles that DJ Smith wants to bring over to the team this season.
-Pageau is also one of the most tenured players on the team, and is the likeliest of the three to stick around in the future.

With those three, we cover the past, present and future of the team.

With two of them likely on the way out, a very clear message is sent to the young players: They have the opportunity to prove that they can become leaders on this team. They need to earn it. They can't just have it handed down to them based on their pedigree. Smith says this directly himself:

“I don’t think it’s necessary (to have a captain),” Smith said in an interview. “We’re going to have three ‘A’’s, three older guys and they’re going to share the responsibility. A year from now it would be nice to integrate some of these younger guys and kind of get a look as to see who’s the captain and who’s going to be the captain going forward.
“The older guys will carry the brunt for the year.”

“I think we’re set with what we’re going to do,” Smith said at the time. “I want to talk to the players so I’m not going to say it, but I’d like the older guys to field the brunt for this year and let these young guys just play and get better. It will their team in time but they have to watch how it’s done and I think we bring a guy in like Ron Hainsey, that’s been around the league, played 1,050 games, he’s going to have to field some of the tough questions on the games where maybe we’re not great.
“I don’t want a young kid doing that and these young kids are going to learn from him so that when it’s their time to take over, they’ll be ready.

I don't see any mixed messages here. Smith has made it very very clear with his words and his actions. He wants to see these young players grow into leadership roles. By selecting these three 'A's, the young players will clearly have the opportunity to get an 'A' or a 'C' next season.

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Hainsey will probably not finish the year here so yeah if I was Bobby Ryan I would just give up on this team so insulting.

Sure he has confidence issues but if you've delt him in real life and other sens players, and management and other millionaires in the city you'd understand he's like one of best guys ever and yeah he's legit.

He deserves it.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Are you scratching one of your "leaders" in game 1?

Sure, why not? Chris Neil had an 'A' in 2017 even though he was a healthy scratch much of the season. He got his 'A' back as soon as he came back for those 2 games in that Rangers series.

This is a perfect way to rotate that 'A' around as a trial for the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad