Confirmed with Link: 2019-20 Senators Assistant Captains: Borowiecki, Hainsey, Pageau

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sens today officially released the names of the 3 players who will wear the Assistant Captain's A's on their jerseys this year (in no particular order):

Mark Borowiecki
Ron Hainsey
JG Pageau

As reported earlier this offseason, the team is not naming a captain for the 2019-20 season.

Link to the article: here

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Guess Chabot is as good as gone? Only franchise player left and they name Hainsey?

Reactions: Ed Wood

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I get Hainsey. He's played in the league for 17 years, won a cup, and has pretty much seen everything there is to see.

I get Pageau. One of our longest serving players, will play an important role both offensively and defensively, and has some fantastic clutch performances under his belt.

I don't understand why we keep shoehorning Borowiecki into a "leadership" role. He's, at best, a #6 defenseman, hasn't played 350 games in the league, and has never contributed to a winning team. And frankly, with Chabot, Zaitsev, Demelo, Hainsey, Wolanin, Jaros, Brannstrom and Lajoie all at camp, shouldn't even be pencilled onto the roster.

Should have been Hainsey, Pageau and Chabot.

The old veteran, long-time serving player, and up and coming face of the team.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I get Hainsey. He's played in the league for 17 years, won a cup, and has pretty much seen everything there is to see.

I get Pageau. One of our longest serving players, will play an important role both offensively and defensively, and has some fantastic clutch performances under his belt.

I don't understand why we keep shoehorning Borowiecki into a "leadership" role. He's, at best, a #6 defenseman, hasn't played 350 games in the league, and has never contributed to a winning team. And frankly, with Chabot, Zaitsev, Demelo, Hainsey, Wolanin, Jaros, Brannstrom and Lajoie all at camp, shouldn't even be pencilled onto the roster.

Should have been Hainsey, Pageau and Chabot.

The old veteran, long-time serving player, and up and coming face of the team.
I see what you’re saying but I think Chabot, Tkachuk etc would be given the A later in the year when Boro and Hainsey are most likely traded

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Not sure why Chabot can't just focus on hockey. Does he have to stand up in the room after one breakout season? Let the other guys talk and do all that ****. Chabot , Takchuk and Co. will all get their chance.

Generally, I agree with this.

No reason to saddle your young stars with extra responsibility. Let them fully develop, THEN see about shouldering the burden of being a leader as well.

Besides, there's nothing that says that Chabot can't take on more of a leadership role on the day-to-day side of things if he wants, just because he doesn't have a letter. I'm sure he won't have a problem speaking up.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
All 3 of those guys could be gone after the deadline. There will be plenty of opportunities moving forward for Chabot/Tkachuk to provide leadership/wear a letter. I still have a bit of an issue with Boro getting one, but we're lacking obvious candidates, so let him have it for ~50 games.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Borowiecki... He's, at best, a #6 defenseman, hasn't played 350 games in the league, and has never contributed to a winning team. And frankly, with Chabot, Zaitsev, Demelo, Hainsey, Wolanin, Jaros, Brannstrom and Lajoie all at camp, shouldn't even be pencilled onto the roster.

Agreed with this part, for sure.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, Boro shouldn't have a letter as he shouldn't have a concrete roster spot. But this tells you what the reality is. Boro will be on the starting roster on day 1. He will play prominent minutes. Also there is a good chance he will be re-signed. Don't agree with this, but it is what it is.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Generally, I agree with this.

No reason to saddle your young stars with extra responsibility. Let them fully develop, THEN see about shouldering the burden of being a leader as well.

Besides, there's nothing that says that Chabot can't take on more of a leadership role on the day-to-day side of things if he wants, just because he doesn't have a letter. I'm sure he won't have a problem speaking up.

I agree, however picking 3 veterans all on expiring UFA deals when you are the consensus pick for last place is pretty short sighted. I am not saying they should give it to the young guys I actually dont think they should. However if the team is doing this rebuild properly all three of these players should be traded this season. The only one that they should consider extending is Pageau, therefore he is the only one that should be getting a letter. Giving it to Boro and Hainsey guarantees they are in the lineup and they are easily the 6th and 7th worst d men on the team. No forsight at all from this coaching and management group. Just when a tiny bit of optimism starts creeping in were reminded of how this team got to where we are. Its depressing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I agree, however picking 3 veterans all on expiring UFA deals when you are the consensus pick for last place is pretty short sighted. I am not saying they should give it to the young guys I actually dont think they should. However if the team is doing this rebuild properly all three of these players should be traded this season. The only one that they should consider extending is Pageau, therefore he is the only one that should be getting a letter. Giving it to Boro and Hainsey guarantees they are in the lineup and they are easily the 6th and 7th worst d men on the team. No forsigh at all from this coaching and management group. Its depressing.

Yeah, I agree here.

But... This team man, it's not like there are a ton of obvious names for leadership. You don't want to over-burden the kids, so you keep them away from wearing a letter, and then after them, who's left?

Pageau, agreed, he deserves one. Hainsey ... I mean... If DJ Smith wants to champion a guy who knows his system, then I get it.

After that, who's left? Zack Smith probably would have got a letter of he were still here. Bobby Ryan is a train-wreck, no way do you give that guy a letter. Anisimov is new. Boedker is a black hole.

I mean... I don't want Boro to have a letter as much as anyone, but finding leaders on THIS roster is a hell of a challenge. It speaks more to how we've built the roster going into this season than it does about Boro specifically. Having Boro wear a letter is a condemnation of the people who assembled this group of players.

Reactions: DrEasy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Wearing the A will be a thankless and monotonous task this year. Answering the same questions about “progress vs results on the scoreboard”. That kind of crap can make the daily grind miserable for the young guys. Why put them through it?
As others have pointed out, the 3 players with an A could very well be traded at the deadline. This may even (ever so slightly) raise their profile a tiny but to help with a better return.

Reactions: DueDiligence

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I agree here.

But... This team man, it's not like there are a ton of obvious names for leadership. You don't want to over-burden the kids, so you keep them away from wearing a letter, and then after them, who's left?

Pageau, agreed, he deserves one. Hainsey ... I mean... If DJ Smith wants to champion a guy who knows his system, then I get it.

After that, who's left? Zack Smith probably would have got a letter of he were still here. Bobby Ryan is a train-wreck, no way do you give that guy a letter. Anisimov is new. Boedker is a black hole.

I mean... I don't want Boro to have a letter as much as anyone, but finding leaders on THIS roster is a hell of a challenge. It speaks more to how we've built the roster going into this season than it does about Boro specifically. Having Boro wear a letter is a condemnation of the people who assembled this group of players.

I think giving Chabot an 'A' over Boro or Hainsey would have been the right decision. He is an extremely elite d man that is going to play more than anyone on this roster and is easily the team MVP and should be in the plans to be here as long as he can skate. He is 22, played in the worlds twice for Canada its not like they are giving him the C.

It just scares me overall, are they even commited to keeping Chabot? Does this mean they want Boro here long term? I just dont like it.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
At least it wasn't like the Sharks... They just named like half their roster Alternate Captains. (Burns, Karlsson, Thornton, Hertl)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad