Confirmed with Link: 2019-20 Senators Assistant Captains: Borowiecki, Hainsey, Pageau

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think you needed to give a guy you signed for 1 year an A. It's assumed he's coming in as a leader and a calming presence. You give that letter to Ryan. Chabot can wait until Tkachuk is named C next draft and he's named an A, I have no real issue with that.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Wearing the A will be a thankless and monotonous task this year. Answering the same questions about “progress vs results on the scoreboard”. That kind of crap can make the daily grind miserable for the young guys. Why put them through it?
As others have pointed out, the 3 players with an A could very well be traded at the deadline. This may even (ever so slightly) raise their profile a tiny but to help with a better return.

Whether they have the A or not, Chabot and Tkachuk will still be the guys answering those questions. They're the best players on the team, and the guys the media will want to talk to. Nobody really cares with Borowiecki has to say.

Giving Chabot the A, in my opinion, would have been empowering for him. He's already the face of the organization, will be playing the most important minutes of anyone, and is the guy we're going to be building around. He represents the future.

Instead, you're in a situation where two of your "leadership" core might not even be good enough to play regular minutes all season.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I don't think you can read anything into any of the kids not getting an A.

I also am not a fan of Boro getting it once again since you know that means he's getting shoehorned into the roster, but he has been a big community guy for a long time as far as I know? And that's part of the job too.

So he might be wearing an A for his work away from the rink possibly more than for his work around the rink.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Boro tows the company line. That is why he got the A
Hainsey is a coaches guy and a vet.
JGP is the only guy beside Chabot that speaks french.

Next year,

Chabot - A
White - A
Tkachuk - C

Reactions: Viletho

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why? He does what the coaches tell him. He stands up for his team mates. Is it because he doesnt like mayo on his fries?

I have my reasons.

I just don't think Ryan is the kind of leader we want our rookies looking up to, for a variety of non-mayo reasons that I don't think we can have a discussion about here.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Pageau seems like a decent choice, the other 2 I wouldn't have on the team let alone give an A to in normal circumstances but because we are trying to be the worst team by a mile I guess it makes sense to have 2 of your worst fringe level players "leading".

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Boro tows the company line. That is why he got the A
Hainsey is a coaches guy and a vet.
JGP is the only guy beside Chabot that speaks french.

Next year,

Chabot - A
White - A
Tkachuk - C

Personally I feel like Pageau sticks around for a while on the team and becomes the long time vet who wears the A most of his career here.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I would personally prefer if we had 2 vets with A ( Hainsey/Pageau ) and two Young guys alternating the A ( Chabot / Tkachuk ) maybe add White to the Young guys since he already has the contract.

But there is no surprise Boro was given an A. It seems his teammate loves him even as a fringe nhl player, Hainsey is the grandpa of the team and Pageau is the local guy that is also loved.

Next year is another thing. I could see Tkachuk and Chabot getting A or even one of them getting the C. If we draft 1st, maybe they wait for that franchise player to be ready. If we draft Lafreniere, he will become the face of the franchise almost right away, so i could see them wait a little bit to see.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure why Chabot can't just focus on hockey. Does he have to stand up in the room after one breakout season? Let the other guys talk and do all that ****. Chabot , Tkachuk and Co. will all get their chance.

Yes it's good news, don't want to add useless pressure on White, Chabot, Tkachuk, etc. Let the vets/depth players answer the medias.

I really don't get the "Chabot is as good as gone" comments. It all relies on Melnyk and his future as an owner.

Hainsey and Boro won't (and shouldn't) be there too long. Pageau should be a core player (perfect bottom-6 player), but it will require Tierney to be traded, which is really what I think they should do (sell high too) later this year, when more young players push at the door.

Tkachuk and Chabot will eventually get their letters, and it could be as soon as next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm ok with the young guys not getting letters. They announced this a couple weeks ago, that they would not have to handle the pressure of being asked questions after losses etc.

I am glad that the A's didn't go to Brown, Ennis or Zaitsev on top of Hainsey.

Boro well , I expected it .. Pageau imo is most deserving, and Hainsey well whatever... I would have preferred it go to another Sen vet but , there are so few left that have been here more than a year so I can live with it.

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I realize that I am crashing the Dump on Boro party, but dude was not our worst defenceman last year - not even close. Those honours go to Ceci and Harpur, two guys who the Leafs inexplicably feel they can rehab. I'd also go back to 2017-18, the first trash season - when Boro went out with an injury, a lot of people around here thought our D would improve just by him being out of the lineup. It was the opposite - it got worse, and his sandpaper was missed significantly.

I'm not trying to nominate the guy for the Norris or anything, but there's a value in letting the young guys see a player who will literally block a shot with his grill in order to help the team and stay in the league. As long as he is firmly in the 5/6 slot on the nights he plays, getting sheltered minutes, then I am totally cool with Boro being here and wearing a letter.

Reactions: thinkwild

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I think that list was, in reality, expected.

Hainsey for the proper veteran leadership
Pageau the good ol’ french canadien boy
Borowiecki because Melnyk loves that man.

It’s no secret we’d prefer Chucky, Chabot and maybe White to have it but it’s less pressure for them isn’t it, at least this season which hopefully will be a write off.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I realize that I am crashing the Dump on Boro party, but dude was not our worst defenceman last year - not even close. Those honours go to Ceci and Harpur, two guys who the Leafs inexplicably feel they can rehab. I'd also go back to 2017-18, the first trash season - when Boro went out with an injury, a lot of people around here thought our D would improve just by him being out of the lineup. It was the opposite - it got worse, and his sandpaper was missed significantly.

I'm not trying to nominate the guy for the Norris or anything, but there's a value in letting the young guys see a player who will literally block a shot with his grill in order to help the team and stay in the league. As long as he is firmly in the 5/6 slot on the nights he plays, getting sheltered minutes, then I am totally cool with Boro being here and wearing a letter.

Boro gets a raw deal for being one of the worst players on a really bad team. He wasn't our worst d last year? I think that is fair but that is not indicative if much unfortunately.

Boro is a great guy who is clearly loved by his teammates, that is not nothing. But when the team is that starved for skill, playing him as often as possible is simply not very encouraging. He is fringe NHL material and not on the right side of it.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The Three Musketeers (aka Assistant Tank Commanders under General Duhrion). Lets the kids play.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Debatable imo. Boro has some of the worst possession exit stats in the league. Ceci is better at that, but not as good at preventing zone entries or breakups. Ceci's offensive possession entry and shot contribution stats are better. I'll take Ceci over Boro but would prefer neither if I had a choice

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
We go through this every year and we all know our answer.

He'll be pencilled in the top 6 all year. Then probably re-signed to boot.

I can see the letter to season ticket holders now.

"We signed assistant captain Mark Borowiecki to a new contract showing fans our commitment to winning and spending on quality NHL players"

Sincerely,

Chris Neil and Chris Phillips

Last edited:
Reactions: MVP Tom Pyatt

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I can see the letter to season ticket holders now.

"We signed assistant captain Mark Borowiecki to a new contract showing fans our commitment to winning and spend on quality NHL players"

Sincerely,

Chris Neil and Chris Phillips
For two guys that hung on a little too long, I'm sure they can relate to being gifted some cash by the Ottawa Senators.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad