2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Speaking of being terrible, remember all those STEAL OF THE DRAFT articles?

Like yeah often times those known 14-15 year olds fall that much as they progress to the draft a higher levels happens for a reason. Like look at the top of the draft every year. It’s typically older birthday’s who’ve maintained their stock all that time.

The fact that Day couldn’t even go #1 during his OHL draft despite being granted that exceptional status was a bad omen from the start.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Like yeah often times those known 14-15 year olds fall that much as they progress to the draft a higher levels happens for a reason. Like look at the top of the draft every year. It’s typically older birthday’s who’ve maintained their stock all that time.

The fact that Day couldn’t even go #1 during his OHL draft despite being granted that exceptional status was a bad omen from the start.
What was his deal anyway? Brains? Footspeed? Dude was annointed

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He was actually a really good skater. That’s probably the biggest reason on top of being a bigger kid that got him the exceptional status. Not sure if politics played a part too since he was a Canadian living in America playing in the US system prior to that. He wasn’t a dual citizen at the time but he later got an American citizenship & went to the US WJC summer camp but by that time his stock wasn’t the same. He didn’t make the team & wasn’t really close even then nonetheless that fall/winter.

I guess brains, more mature 14-15 year old, & the fact he was a pretty entitled kid with work ethic issues ultimately did him in.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The only thing he could do was skate. That's really the only reason he got exceptional status in the first place. I still remember the TSN clips and people drooling over his skating, but he was never a dominant player in Midget. Put on a ton of weight but could still skate. Never had a season of note until his 5th year in the OHL.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
He was actually a really good skater. That’s probably the biggest reason on top of being a bigger kid that got him the exceptional status. Not sure if politics played a part too since he was a Canadian living in America playing in the US system prior to that. He wasn’t a dual citizen at the time but he later got an American citizenship & went the US WJC summer camp but by that time his stock wasn’t the same.

I guess brains, more mature 14-15 year old, & the fact he was a pretty entitled kid with work ethic issues ultimately did him in.

The only thing he could do was skate. That's really the only reason he got exceptional status in the first place. I still remember the TSN clips and people drooling over his skating, but he was never a dominant player in Midget. Put on a ton of weight but could still skate. Never had a season of note until his 5th year in the OHL.

Crazy that an exceptional status kid flopped this hard. Fine with me, f*** the Rangers

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Crazy that an exceptional status kid flopped this hard. Fine with me, f*** the Rangers

He was the only one essentially to this point. Velano was disappointing in that he fell to the late first round in his draft year. We’ll see what he does going forward.

Tavares, Ekblad, & McDavid all went #1 in their NHL draft years & played right away as impactful teenagers. Shane Wright looks like he’s probably on his way to being closer to that group after his first year in the OHL this past year.

Reactions: DancingPanther

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do these various platforms include those where content providers have Hart votes? :laugh:

Without checking to confirm, I honestly can't remember the last time the Art Ross winner wasn't a Hart finalist, deserved or not.

Edit: lolz. Apparently it was 2018 (McDavid)... and happens more than I obviously remembered. :laugh:
Because apparently the TEAM missing the playoffs devalues the INDIVIDUALS performance.

Drives me bananas.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
None of this picks have had the opportunity to play yet so I wouldn’t judge wether or not the picks are successful. I don’t mean to say there isn’t value in late picks, it’s just not likely for them to become valuable players. I’m also not entirely sold on the post-Pryor drafting abilities, but that’s beside the point.
Wouldn't you rather have them and their chance at being something helpful than a couple months of a 13th forward (at best) who is overused and blocking superior players from being in the lineup?

I certainly would. Being handed a lottery ticket is better than a sack of dog shit, right?

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
What's your top ten list including D And G?

I don’t really have a list because I don’t watch as many non-Flyers games as I used to. Panarin’s so dynamic though so I watch a great deal of NYR’s games. He’s so ridiculously talented that he’s in my top 5 list, on a list that doesn’t officially exist.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Wouldn't you rather have them and their chance at being something helpful than a couple months of a 13th forward (at best) who is overused and blocking superior players from being in the lineup?

I certainly would. Being handed a lottery ticket is better than a sack of dog shit, right?
If you think Thompson adds depth to the lineup as a better fourth line center than the rotating
door of rookies, it’s a measly cost. I’m pretty sure he led the team in short handed time, he’s not a slug like most of the plugs we’ve had on our fourth line over the last decade. Nate is an upgrade over Bunny and Voro for the season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you think Thompson adds depth to the lineup as a better fourth line center than the rotating
door of rookies, it’s a measly cost. I’m pretty sure he led the team in short handed time, he’s not a slug like most of the plugs we’ve had on our fourth line over the last decade. Nate is an upgrade over Bunny and Voro for the season.
I do not think that, so to me it's not a measly cost. It's a wasted asset.

In fact, I think having Thompson in the lineup weakens the team because it's not our best possible lineup.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I do not think that, so to me it's not a measly cost. It's a wasted asset.

In fact, I think having Thompson in the lineup weakens the team because it's not our best possible lineup.
If I thought he made the team worse I wouldn’t think he was worth it, but I don’t.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If I thought he made the team worse I wouldn’t think he was worth it, but I don’t.
Merely having him as an extra wouldn’t have, but overusing him has.

3C Frost + 4C Grant > 3C Grant + 4C Thompson

Plus, Bunnaman could have been the backup 4C if Frost/Grant got hurt. Then Vorobyev after him. We had options that didn’t require paying a price.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They tried Vorobyev 3 times, at some point you realize he's not suited to a 4C role and not ready for a 3C role.
Bunnaman was solid defensively at 4C but an offensive cipher, probably b/c he was too afraid to make a mistake.
Frost needs to add strength to play defense in AV's scheme

You don't want to go into the playoffs depending on untested rookies, that's a recipe for disaster.
If they step up great, if they're overwhelmed you want plan "B" or "C" available.

Thompson cost a 2021 5th, Flyers could easily regain that by trading Kalynuk's rights, or Ghost after the season. :naughty:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He was actually a really good skater. That’s probably the biggest reason on top of being a bigger kid....,,

Brains/hockey sense. He’s big and can outskate everyone on the ice and still be out of position at all times. Was watching him pre draft vs Hamilton and I could not believe my eyes. His goalies must go crazy expecting him to be somewhere and he’s on the wrong side, taking the wrong guy. Pity.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Merely having him as an extra wouldn’t have, but overusing him has.

3C Frost + 4C Grant > 3C Grant + 4C Thompson

Plus, Bunnaman could have been the backup 4C if Frost/Grant got hurt. Then Vorobyev after him. We had options that didn’t require paying a price.

They didn't think Frost was an NHL center yet before we added Grant and Thompson, the equation now becomes 3C Laughton + 4C Grant or 3C Grant +4C Bunny. You lose 2 SH minutes from Thompson that now have to be split between Grant and Giroux most likely.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The best spot for Laughton right now probably is on Hayes wing.

Laughton - Hayes - Konecny
JVR - Grant - Farabee

That's a solid middle 6.

Raffl - Thompson (Bunnaman) - Pitlick (NAK) is probably the most likely 4th line.

All things considered that's a playoff caliber lineup.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Laughton was playing mostly wing.
In the two weeks after Frost was sent down, but before we got Grant and Thompson, Laughton was centering JVR and Pitlick.

Edit: I also forgot about Andreoff coming back up for a game in early February over Frost (0-5 loss against Devils)

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
The best spot for Laughton right now probably is on Hayes wing.

Laughton - Hayes - Konecny
JVR - Grant - Farabee

That's a solid middle 6.

Raffl - Thompson (Bunnaman) - Pitlick (NAK) is probably the most likely 4th line.

All things considered that's a playoff caliber lineup.

Be interesting to see who the healthy scratches are because Bunnaman and NAK were playing pretty well. Who knows now though, or if Thompson was playing more down the stretch due partially to being new and needing to become familiar with the system. Plus the team was streaking and there wasn't much motivation to try different combinations.

I'd try to work NAK in there at least as he was good and plays a playoff friendly kind of game. Maybe move Laughton back to center over Thompson so you can get NAK back in the lineup. It may not be Laughton's ideal position in a vacuum but it improves the team speed and skill, IMO, and makes for a difficult 4th line to play against that can take advantage of some matchup problems and score some momentum goals.

Farabee - Hayes - Konecny
JVR - Grant - Pitlick
Raffl - Laughton -NAK

In any case having a 5th line of Bunnaman, Frost and NAK is pretty freaking deep, if that's how it pans out.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They didn't think Frost was an NHL center yet before we added Grant and Thompson, the equation now becomes 3C Laughton + 4C Grant or 3C Grant +4C Bunny. You lose 2 SH minutes from Thompson that now have to be split between Grant and Giroux most likely.
That’s because they were wrong. Just like they were wrong when they decided to trade for Thompson.

I’m saying what should have been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad