2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
You realize most of the goals scored in today’s game are in close? Like even the best shooters in the game still get a bulk of their goals around the net.

Uhh yes, that doesn't change the fact that the players I listed blast one timers from the circles and JVR scores 90% of his goals from tips and 2 yards out. It's just a perception thing.

We have had a team full of quality playmakers for a long time, I'm guessing people still want the stereotypical shooter.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Uhh yes, that doesn't change the fact that the players I listed blast one timers from the circles and JVR scores 90% of his goals from tips and 2 yards out. It's just a perception thing.

We have had a team full of quality playmakers for a long time, I'm guessing people still want the stereotypical shooter.

That’s mostly on the PP though where those guys play perimeter though.

But I agree it’s a foolish vanity issue that doesn’t really mean shit at this stage.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don't think fans as a whole realize how hard it is to find a stereotypical sniper who ends up being a strong net positive. Especially when you don't pay attention to every team in the league and can gloss over the slumps and dropoffs these guys go through. Shooting talent is by far the most difficult ability to find. Then you have to find one that you're sure will stay that way because he'll cost a fortune.

Yes, Ovechkin would help the Flyers a ton. Is that really a productive point to make or thought to have?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I saw a lot of his games this year. Panarin is a great all around player. Imo top twenty in the league today.

Going out on a ledge, huh?

Flyers defenseman with at least 200 TOI at 5v5 tracked via Possession Exit%:

View attachment 348164

**Data tracked per Corey Sznajder**

The day the Flyers move on from Bobby Two Hits will be a beautiful day

Being a literal zero in puck moving!

Travo morphing from a little below average to the best exit defenseman in this sample (season?) is a beautiful sight. Not sure what to make of Provorov and Ghost — in the elite strata in the past — lagging behind. Mostly Provorov given his health. Perhaps a systems adjustment?

Reactions: ttp and FLYguy3911

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers defenseman with at least 200 TOI at 5v5 tracked via Possession Exit%:

View attachment 348164

**Data tracked per Corey Sznajder**

The day the Flyers move on from Bobby Two Hits will be a beautiful day
What god is a controlled zone exit if you turn it over in the neutral zone and allow a breakaway against afterwards?

;)

On a similar note, I think we need to add a McDavid type. Or maybe a MacKinnon.

What's FA looking like this offseason?
I thought you said we had good team speed?

:D

Reactions: TB87

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
m0iGNL5.png

Ub1lO4R.png

One of those are Giroux's Goals from 2010-2019. The other is Pastrnak's.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

Travo morphing from a little below average to the best exit defenseman in this sample (season?) is a beautiful sight. Not sure what to make of Provorov and Ghost — in the elite strata in the past — lagging behind. Mostly Provorov given his health. Perhaps a systems adjustment?

The shiftiness that Ghost employs to create separation on the breakout seemed to be hit or miss. Most likely due to his knee injury. Not sure really sure about the cause of Provorov’s dipped #’s though.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Going out on a ledge, huh?

Teammates probably have an impact.

Maybe a dash of a confidence issue too, if one mistake gets you benched you're probably less likely to attempt a breakout yourself. Safer to dump it out and change.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Konecny is one of the best "pure shooters" in the NHL right now at 5v5.

Right around half of his goals this season were from over 20ft out on snap or wrist shots.
It's a shame he didn't get the chance to beat his goal total from the last two seasons. Still sitting at 24.

Hopefully he can build on this season and be a consistent 30 goal scorer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You have to think in terms of balance, three play makers on a line can be frustrating, especially when Voracek ends up the one with the shot.
Ideally, your top three lines will be balanced, one "mucker," one playmaker and one sniper/scorer.
That doesn't mean the sniper can't pass or the playmaker can't shoot, rather, their defined by their best attribute.
By mucker, I mean the guy who go gets the puck in the corner, goes to the net and does the dirty work to set up plays.
Scorers tend to be tweeners, they're muckers around the net and shooters with a good but not great shot.

You know you have a sniper when he comes down the wing and 20' from the net everyone holds their breath waiting for the shot because he's got the quick release and accuracy to put the puck past the goaltender in tight spots (example, upper right hand corner).

Playmakers: Giroux, Voracek, Frost
Muckers: Lindblom, Couts, Farabee (when he grows up), NAK
Snipers: TK
Scorers: JVR, Hayes, Laughton

Laczynski and Cates have mucker potential
Allison has scorer potential
Brink has playmaker potential (with a possible sniper shot)

The organization lacks top shooters, guys who can be deadly from 15-20' and force the defense to account for them.
You want a few guys with the "killer wrist shot," that force the goalie to focus on them whenever they're on the perimeter of the trapezoid (faceoff circles to goal posts) and not just in close.
Hayes and JVR score by getting inside the trapezoid but neither has that great wrist shot that scares goalies. And neither is a true PF like Simmonds.

On the other hand, you don't break the bank for a shooter without other redeeming features, shooting alone is not valuable enough to pay top dollar - shooting combined with skating (keeps the defense on their toes) or part of a scorer's package (can score from 20' in), or part of a balanced skill set has far more value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad