2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thompson cost a 2021 5th rd pick. Pocket change.
He's an insurance policy.

Go back to the 2017-18 playoffs, TK and Lindblom go belly up.
It's tough for kids in the playoffs, especially if they're not physically mature.
So if you depend on the kids and it turns out they're over their heads, what then?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
5th round picks are worthless. Trading them for a 13th forward who we don't need (and actually makes the roster weaker) is a no-brainer.

abf8e7e81a251ecaa05c7bb10956cc19.png

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Before Lindblom, you have to go back to 96 to find anyone that the Flyers drafted in the 5th round that played more than 70 games.
It's a good thing people didn't look at that stat in 2013 and decide it wasn't worth even trying to find someone good. I'm glad we took a chance and ended up with Lindblom instead of adding a forward who we didn't need and didn't make the team better.

Can't win the lottery if you give away all your tickets for nothing in return.

Reactions: landsbergfan

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Wondering how physical these POs will be. Somewhere it was posted that the league is telling the players ahead of time that after the play scrums are not going to be allowed. No offense intended here but it sounds like the league wants a more Euro style game to be played with an emphasis on limiting physical play. If that is so, the Flyers would be well served to adjust their roster accordingly. Guys like Frost would have more room to do their thing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Jokes aside, he got a great return on Andrew Shaw, who only played 26 games in 19-20. Chicago really need to ditch their nostalgia goggles.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nobody said we can’t/shouldn’t make any trades using picks.

It’s simple, if you’re going to spend assets then make sure it’s for something worthwhile. Unfortunately that’s not what happened here.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Before Lindblom, you have to go back to 96 to find anyone that the Flyers drafted in the 5th round that played more than 70 games.

Things have changed.

Cates, Kalynuk, Laczynski, and Ersson were all 5th round picks or later. Drafted in the years following Lindblom. Not to mention Myers and Zamula snagged as UDFA's after the draft. All of those players have, at least, a reasonable chance to make it. Hextall revolutionized our late round & UDFA success.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Things have changed.

Cates, Kalynuk, Laczynski, and Ersson were all 5th round picks or later. Drafted in the years following Lindblom. Not to mention Myers and Zamula snagged as UDFA's after the draft. All of those players have, at least, a reasonable chance to make it. Hextall revolutionized our late round & UDFA success.
Hextall improved the drafting/scouting process while developmental leagues have all gotten much better.

Reactions: Striiker

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Julien has done a damn good job up there without much in the way of impact talent. I wish this kind of coaching success was recognized more often, although it's certainly not limited to hockey. Or coaches for that matter.

Boston going from him to Cassidy is pretty damn fortunate. Not saying Julien didn’t deserve to be fired at that point but it’s always a tough call when you actually get rid of a quality coach. As there aren’t many around the league & it’s tough replace. You could find yourself going a couple of coaches before you land another one.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I figured this question could basically be considered "how dumb is the flyers fanbase" and I was proven correct.

2. What is the Flyers’ most pressing need that should be addressed from outside the organization?

chart-no.-2.png

Flyers fan survey results, Part 1: Your thoughts on the...

I was just about to post something similar but you beat me to it. Ya jerk!

Seriously though, the “We need a sniper” crowd is hilarious. Gimme a playmaker over a sniper any day. They actually impact the game at multiple levels. The pre-shot movement of a goal sequence is integral to the end result. Snipers, a lot of the time, depend entirely too much on their linemates to not only get them the puck, but to create open space for them to get the puck to get their shot off. Not always of course, but frequently.

Passing Ability is far too often overlooked as an essential, fundamental hockey skill.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s ridiculous both because we don’t need a sniper and because people talk as if the team was struggling to score goals this year. As if we have a bunch of guys who can only pass and have zero goal scoring ability.

TK, Couturier, JVR, Giroux, Hayes, plus Lindblom and Patrick if/when they come back... we even had goals scored by depth players like Laughton and NAK.

Last edited:

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I was just about to post something similar but you beat me to it. Ya jerk!

Seriously though, the “We need a sniper” crowd is hilarious. Gimme a playmaker over a sniper any day. They actually impact the game at multiple levels. The pre-shot movement of a goal sequence is integral to the end result. Snipers, a lot of the time, depend entirely too much on their linemates to not only get them the puck, but to create open space for them to get the puck to get their shot off. Not always of course, but frequently.

Passing Ability is far too often overlooked as an essential, fundamental hockey skill.
Not only that, but you know most of the fan base that answered that way would drool over acquiring someone like that via a trade or signing where you know you are expending a massive amount of capital to acquire them. So it is idiotic on multiple levels. Just give me good hockey players.

Reactions: TB87

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People still clamoring for a sniper probably think Giroux is still a center who needs a winger to snipe home his passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad