2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
He wasn't confident with the puck at the NHL level like he should be. Being sent down should help that.

There.

He tried & mostly succeeded in doing high-skill plays regularly while in the NHL. Play away from the puck could be tidied up a bit (quicker reads, less puck watching, etc). Since, ya know, this is the first year of his career where he didn't possess the puck all the time. I've heard nothing bad about his work ethic so I'm operating under the assumption that this will be something he's going to focus on and improve in relatively short order.

TB87

May 30, 2018
CJ Turtoro updated his micro-stat Tableau (based on Corey Sznajders 5v5 tracking data) the other day:

Tableau Public

- Provorov vs. Sanheim
Provorov vs Sanheim A3Z PLAYER COMP. TOOL.png

- Sanheim vs. Myers
sanheim vs myers A3Z Player Comp. Tool.png

This is a fun tool to play around with.

Attachments

• sanheim vs myers A3Z Player Comp. Tool.png
    sanheim vs myers A3Z Player Comp. Tool.png
    733.5 KB · Views: 1

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Frost just needed more time to play in the NHL. He has the smarts, speed, and skill... all he needs is the experience.

Playing on that joke of an AHL team was a waste of time and made the NHL roster weaker.

Reactions: flyersfan187

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think he would've been fine as a winger this season. But the responsibility of playing center in AV's system at NHL level was a little too much for him.

That's one reason why Farabee has made the team and Frost hasn't.

This is it in a nutshell.

AV plays a 3-2 zone on defense with the center almost like a 3rd defenseman, so he likes physical centers who are comfortable in that role, especially on the bottom six where he'll stress defense more than for a top 6 forward. Which explains picking up Grant and Thompson to go with Bunnaman.

Frost physically can't handle that role right now, and isn't as focused on defense as in the offensive zone.

The difference with Farabee is two-fold, while they have similar weights right now, Farabee is the stronger player. Though he also struggles with the lack of mass, given his willingness to mix it up, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."
And Farabee's role on defense is more about harassing the defensemen at the point, which requires more skating and hustle and less physical play.
Farabee also has better defensive instincts than Frost.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
CJ Turtoro updated his micro-stat Tableau (based on Corey Sznajders 5v5 tracking data) the other day:

Tableau Public

- Provorov vs. Sanheim
View attachment 347845

- Sanheim vs. Myers
View attachment 347847

This is a fun tool to play around with.

In this case it reinforces the eyeball test, Sanheim is the smoothest of the three, Provorov the best all around defenseman on the team, and Myers is physically a stud whose game needs polish and experience but who can be a roadblock for someone trying to get around him.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
This is it in a nutshell.

AV plays a 3-2 zone on defense with the center almost like a 3rd defenseman, so he likes physical centers who are comfortable in that role, especially on the bottom six where he'll stress defense more than for a top 6 forward. Which explains picking up Grant and Thompson to go with Bunnaman.

Frost physically can't handle that role right now, and isn't as focused on defense as in the offensive zone.

The difference with Farabee is two-fold, while they have similar weights right now, Farabee is the stronger player. Though he also struggles with the lack of mass, given his willingness to mix it up, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."
And Farabee's role on defense is more about harassing the defensemen at the point, which requires more skating and hustle and less physical play.
Farabee also has better defensive instincts than Frost.
Yeah, defense is part of the game when you're a center. I know people want every shiny new toy in the lineup and they want it now, but sometimes you have to be patient.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gotta love how a rookie forward with poor defense is the end of the world but any defensemen with poor offense is a folk hero.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine being that clueless.

This is the quality of sports media we get to endure.

Scariest part is our coaching staff very well might agree.

Reactions: Stizzle

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
July lineups shouldn't be solely determined by March performances. A lot can change in four months.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Damn. Sanheim's controlled exits skyrocketing like a SpaceX Falcon 9........on Saturday. Maybe.

Speaking of defensemen, I saw this quality content just now. Jordan Hall out here killing it like bad weather in a flight path.

3kcBtVr.png

Taryn%2BHatcher%2Beyebrows.gif

Sucking up to Chris Therien he is

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Friedman said they might have 28 skaters and as many goalies as they want on the rosters.

Old news, I see.

Can we go out and sign mad goalies just for the f*** of it? Can never be too prepared. Like say we want 12 goalies but don't have that many under contract in the organization.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm not sure that's even the best way to play both of them.

If ice time is not going to be heavily top 4 skewed, I think I could construct a reasonable argument that Sanheim/Braun and Hagg/Myers is a better bet than Sanheim/Myers and Hagg/Braun. Icing two D who can't create controlled exits is just so damn limiting now. You're punting a portion of the game in most circumstances.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

If ice time is not going to be heavily top 4 skewed, I think I could construct a reasonable argument that Sanheim/Braun and Hagg/Myers is a better bet than Sanheim/Myers and Hagg/Braun. Icing two D who can't create controlled exits is just so damn limiting now. You're punting a portion of the game in most circumstances.

Are you trying to tell me you dont believe in their small sample sized huge success at the 'end' of the season?

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Damn. Sanheim's controlled exits skyrocketing like a SpaceX Falcon 9........on Saturday. Maybe.

Speaking of defensemen, I saw this quality content just now. Jordan Hall out here killing it like bad weather in a flight path.

3kcBtVr.png

Taryn%2BHatcher%2Beyebrows.gif
Just reading the title of his article (can we still call them articles?) column, I knew that dingbat would have Hagg on that 3rd pair.

the guy in the gif looks like a minty python character.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

It comes down to whether Ghost is in shape and the knee is 100% - in which case it's a no-brainer.
Ghost at 80% isn't a very good player as we saw this season (I know, Striiker has his litany of excuses, blah, blah, blah . . . )

If Ghost isn't ready to go, then it's a tough decision, Sanheim/Myers looked really good but Braun can't carry Hagg.

Sanheim/Braun is a solid pair, but Hagg/Myers?
They only played together 63 minutes, CF% 48.62, CFrel -3.47, xGF% 54.12, xGFrel +3.65

Kinda of what you'd think they do, below par offensively, but a tough pair to play together defensively due to their size and Myers able to cover for Hagg with his mobility.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It comes down to whether Ghost is in shape and the knee is 100% - in which case it's a no-brainer.
Ghost at 80% isn't a very good player as we saw this season (I know, Striiker has his litany of excuses, blah, blah, blah . . . )

If Ghost isn't ready to go, then it's a tough decision, Sanheim/Myers looked really good but Braun can't carry Hagg.

Sanheim/Braun is a solid pair, but Hagg/Myers?
They only played together 63 minutes, CF% 48.62, CFrel -3.47, xGF% 54.12, xGFrel +3.65

Kinda of what you'd think they do, below par offensively, but a tough pair to play together defensively due to their size and Myers able to cover for Hagg with his mobility.

I was trying to avoid Ghost because you know where it always goes from both sides. :laugh:

It looks as if the majority of the Minutes played by Hagg-Myers were games 23-25 of the season, which would put them at GP 11-13 for Myers. I'm not sure how to attack answering this in any meaningful way beyond intuition, but I would guess that given the curve of his adjustment, Myers would be moderately more ready to take the responsibilities that pair would dictate today than he was then. Does that make sense to you?

Or at least it would without this huge break. I don't think we can account for all the ways that will influence players.

Reactions: Adtar02

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I was trying to avoid Ghost because you know where it always goes from both sides. :laugh:

It looks as if the majority of the Minutes played by Hagg-Myers were games 23-25 of the season, which would put them at GP 11-13 for Myers. I'm not sure how to attack answering this in any meaningful way beyond intuition, but I would guess that given the curve of his adjustment, Myers would be moderately more ready to take the responsibilities that pair would dictate today than he was then. Does that make sense to you?

Or at least it would without this huge break. I don't think we can account for all the ways that will influence players.

Yeah, Myers' confidence rose by leaps and bounds the second half, and he basically was covering for Sanheim.

So he could cover for Hagg, but those two would probably be used in more of a shutdown role because you wouldn't want Hagg handling the puck or ask Myers to push the offense - but they certainly could hold up as the last line of defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad