2019/20 Roster Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm a pessimist by nature, but even I don't think this is the best we will see of Hayes at 5v5. It's probably been his most disappointing feature this season -- he has his moments of canine brilliance, but I'm speaking of consistency and overall output. His major selling point was his history of 5v5 productivity. Without wading into the contract, for now he's in his prime, the talent is there......I'll bet on those numbers stabilizing. Perhaps they have something with Farabee and Konecny flanking him.

At the WJC, Hogberg looked like he might be a player, but is there room for an avg sized defensive D given the current depth of youth?

In which of his 5 minutes total did he look like a player? :sarcasm:

Acknowledging the 50 contract rule, there's always room for prospects with a smidgen of NHL potential. Lord knows AHL teams churn through players without even that smidgen. Who cares about size or style or what today's picture looks like? It's a multi-year contract.

I don't know if Hogberg is an NHLer, but there's enough there to be a good AHLer and see if he develops into cheap depth. Have you seen the AHL defense? They'll add Zamula (who might not even last the year) and Wylie, but Hogberg can play either side and doesn't interfere. The team knows more on Kalynuk's situation than us, but even then, there is room. This seems strictly evaluative.

Signing them would require them to play in the AHL though. Their chances at cracking the flyers D core next year are very slim. They will get comparable salaries at home, with bonus's. It's not an easy move as a young player to make that call.

It's definitely not an easy move for 21 year old to CHOOSE not to come to the AHL and possibly delay or ruin his dream of playing in the NHL for an SHL paycheck that will be there when he gets back.

Please. Hogberg is on record as wanting to come over. Why is the onus placed on him? It's the team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hogberg’s not the type of player that could afford to turn down an NHL contract at this stage of his career. He’s played four years in the SHL since being drafted. Whatever glimmer of hope of playing in the NHL one day has to start with him coming over to North America ASAP.

The Flyers have a logjam in defensemen given Fletcher signed all those AHL veterans types to multi-year contracts last summer for whatever reason. Between that & given the future they likely just didn’t see Hogberg as a worthy contract investment.

It’s not the end of the world but again the process isn’t good here.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They just don’t seem to like Hogberg. There’s room for him on the Phantoms with Friedman going to the NHL and York and possibly Kalynuk staying in college.

Reactions: Tripod and orangey

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Thought this was interesting.

Good list as always. This is just as a Flyer? I get that Sinisalo wasn't exactly a picture of longevity himself, but you can at least argue that he was a good player for most of a 5 year stretch. I agree that Bob reached a higher peak, but for me personally, 52 Starts/54 Games then 25/29 of lesser quality the next year is just too big of a drag.

I'm usually a peak guy too! I think the most interesting parts of these discussions are where we make exceptions to our usual tendencies.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Good list as always. This is just as a Flyer? I get that Sinisalo wasn't exactly a picture of longevity himself, but you can at least argue that he was a good player for most of a 5 year stretch. I agree that Bob reached a higher peak, but for me personally, 52 Starts/54 Games then 25/29 of lesser quality the next year is just too big of a drag.

I'm usually a peak guy too! I think the most interesting parts of these discussions are where we make exceptions to our usual tendencies.

Thought of it really in terms of as an overall player at their best and who was most valuable, but also metered against career length... even if not with Flyers.

Adams was unlucky to miss out. Thought about him but high scoring 80s aside he is pretty much Raffl and Read level offence but not as good D.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm a pessimist by nature, but even I don't think this is the best we will see of Hayes at 5v5. It's probably been his most disappointing feature this season -- he has his moments of canine brilliance, but I'm speaking of consistency and overall output. His major selling point was his history of 5v5 productivity. Without wading into the contract, for now he's in his prime, the talent is there......I'll bet on those numbers stabilizing. Perhaps they have something with Farabee and Konecny flanking him.

In which of his 5 minutes total did he look like a player? :sarcasm:

Acknowledging the 50 contract rule, there's always room for prospects with a smidgen of NHL potential. Lord knows AHL teams churn through players without even that smidgen. Who cares about size or style or what today's picture looks like? It's a multi-year contract.

I don't know if Hogberg is an NHLer, but there's enough there to be a good AHLer and see if he develops into cheap depth. Have you seen the AHL defense? They'll add Zamula (who might not even last the year) and Wylie, but Hogberg can play either side and doesn't interfere. The team knows more on Kalynuk's situation than us, but even then, there is room. This seems strictly evaluative.

It's definitely not an easy move for 21 year old to CHOOSE not to come to the AHL and possibly delay or ruin his dream of playing in the NHL for an SHL paycheck that will be there when he gets back.

Please. Hogberg is on record as wanting to come over. Why is the onus placed on him? It's the team.

What if we use the machine from The Fly to merge Hayes and Hogberg into HayBerg

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I wonder if frost will sit because he is too small while pens are gonna have guentzel, sheary, zucker or even rodrigues in their top 9.

Reactions: Adtar02

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What if we use the machine from The Fly to merge Hayes and Hogberg into HayBerg

q0S5Zgz.gif

+

FastSereneCub-size_restricted.gif

=

giphy.gif

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Anyone can say something like “He’s got some things to work on in his game” without elaborating on that thought at all. Providing specific examples and/or details as to the how & why makes such a statement more intrinsically valuable.

Similar to: “He’s a bad skater” or “he’s bad at defense.” These phrases are meaningless without further elaboration.

Reactions: Tripod

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Anyone can say something like “He’s got some things to work on in his game” without elaborating on that thought at all. Providing specific examples and/or details as to the how & why makes such a statement more intrinsically valuable.

Similar to: “He’s a bad skater” or “he’s bad at defense.” These phrases are meaningless without further elaboration.

He wasn't confident with the puck at the NHL level like he should be. Being sent down should help that.

There.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think he would've been fine as a winger this season. But the responsibility of playing center in AV's system at NHL level was a little too much for him.

That's one reason why Farabee has made the team and Frost hasn't.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Frost was easily good enough to be in the NHL and should have stayed.

We don't need to turd polish every staff mistake.

By the way, if we made a Venn diagram of people who said Frost wasn't NHL ready because he has flaws and people who defend Hagg, it would be one single circle.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I thought he was very, very confident with the puck in the NHL. Finding guys with great passes a lot, carrying it nicely.

My issue with him was in his own end really.

This may be the first time I disagree with you, but it certainly won't be my hill to die on. I believe he wasn't up to par in this regard (for his own standards), while still showing flashes of offensive wizardry. I think that contributed to his drop in numbers as he stayed up (in addition to reduced minutes/linemates, of course).

But that's just my own opinion from the eye-test and it is not backed up by advanced stats or anything.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His drop in production was because he didn't produce on the Powerplay...at all. He outproduced Giroux and Hayes on a per minute basis at 5v5 and that doesn't include the run at the end of the season where the team scoring took off. If you think that Nate Thompson was not only a necessary addition but that he should play ahead of him as well, I'm not sure what to say.

He played 10 minutes a game 5v5 over 20 games. What were you really expecting him to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad