2019/20 Roster Thread XXXII (3/5: Farabee Recalled From LHV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Provy has benn given the task of being the point guy on the PP. it’s new to him and as the season has progressed he has grown into that role. Sanheim has a ton of offensive talent and may well take that spot from Provorov. Time will tell.
The more that I watch Myers, the more that I become convinced that with more experience he will become a defensive beast. His size, strength and quicks take away so much ice that it’s amazing. In time, he will become a defensive force on the back end and that’s before one takes into consideration what he can do on the offensive side of the rink. He’s going to get tested from a physical point. Some Wilson type will challenge him. (Foligno thought about it last night.)At that point we will really see what he’s made of. If he can handle that, he’s a Scott Stevens type in the making.
He hasn't grown into it, unless you consider regular puck fumbling at the blueline or struggling to anticipate the PKers to keep pucks in growing into things. Provorov demonstrates little creativity on the PP; he takes (sometimes forces) one timers into traffic or dishes the puck to one of Giroux or Jake.

We have seen quite a number of Sanhero slap passes. We have seen him eat up open ice in the offensive zone as part of the offensive unit, not just "the point". You need creativity on the PP (as much as Therien hates to admit it) and really- based solely on this criterion- it should be obvious who the better prospective PP dman would be. Besides, as Magua pointed out, the proof is in the pudding. Except Travo's container of pudding is a bowl and Provorov's a wheelbarrow

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sanhero (a Ghosts Beer registered trademark) has had terrible struggles with fumbling pucks at the blueline on the PP also. They’ve both been bad in that area.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bet you didn't know Provorov has 3 less 5v5 points than Hagg.......in twice the ice time!!11!!1!!

Some other fun stats: Sanheim leads the defense in 5v5 points with 17. Of the 17, 14 are primary points. Next highest is 9, and it's Myers. Sanheim's only 9 points back from the overall team defense lead, while seeing only 50 PP minutes all season, none with PP1. Despite being the 2nd most productive PP defenseman on last year's roster.

giphy.gif

What I love about our young defense core, is that they balance well, each with his own strengths. Provorov will usually lead the team in average minutes, and has played better and made more strides than non-PP points indicate, but Sanheim has seen usage right up there. I've always viewed them as a unit, not a "#1" and the rest. Sanheim's offensive upside is higher due to his playmaking, and it'd be a shame if we never get a run with him on PP1.

On your spoiler, one of the things I like most about putting Ghost and Provorov together is that they compliment each others strengths and weaknesses really, really well. But luckily they didn't watch any tape.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov should not be the QB on the PP, too bad Myers probably isn't suited for that role either.

Provorov's value is that he has one of the best wrist shots on the team (better than Voracek, for example) and a plus slap shot, ideally you'd pair him with a playmaker at RHD on a 2 D-man PP unit.

5x5 however, he's far superior to Sanheim defensively, while he still makes mistakes, he's much better at positioning, taking out the body, and winning puck battles behind the net and along the boards to break up the cycle.

It's also easy to forget that Sanheim is 10 months OLDER than Provorov, whereas Myers is two weeks younger.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Sanheim slipped on a loose glove in his “fight” with Gerbe. Only reason he fell down really

Reactions: SnS

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Can I just say, finally having a great defence core now and going forward with homegrown talent is so incredibly refreshing.

Having watched this team since the 90's, and watching them fail to develop any talent on the back end (I can't think of anyone before now other than Pitkanen and Desjardins), the spot the team is in now is f***ing exciting. Not in the least because I've watched this team bungle developing a d-corps of their own for over 2 decades.

Last edited:

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
They really need to go back to Ghost on 1PP then Sanheim and Nisky 2PP.

then after the PP you will have a rested Provy for the others top line:

Provy-Myers
Ghost-Braun
Provy-Nisky
Sanheim-Myers

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Provy-Myers
Ghost-Braun
Provy-Nisky
Sanheim-Myers
Sanheim-Myers
Provy-Ghost
Nisk-Braun/Friedman

PP1 Ghost
PP2 Sanheim-Myers (Nisk if he doesn't work out)

Reactions: Striiker

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Sanheim-Myers
Provy-Ghost
Nisk-Braun/Friedman

PP1 Ghost
PP2 Sanheim-Myers (Nisk if he doesn't work out)

my pairings were for just after the PPs. I actually like the current pairings (with Ghost in). And Although I would like to see Myers on the PP one day, Nisky does a good job with puck retrieval and getting pucks through as well as looking for deflections. I am really high on Myers but his ability to get his shot through from the point seems below average for a PP D.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If I'm the coach my night shift techs would all hang themselves from working with these other 2 clowns there driving the ship. I can't do that to them.

Or maybe I could.
Judging by what coaches get paid, you could take the coaching job and pay the night shift techs whatever they make a year so they can quit their job.

Then we all win. They get their money without the headache of working with the two clowns, your conscious is clear, the Flyers get a better D lineup, you'll still have tons of money left over for yourself, and then you can hire me be an assistant coach who does f***-all but somehow can't be fired, like Lappy.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Judging by what coaches get paid, you could take the coaching job and pay the night shift techs whatever they make a year so they can quit their job.

Then we all win. They get their money without the headache of working with the two clowns, your conscious is clear, the Flyers get a better D lineup, you'll still have tons of money left over for yourself, and then you can hire me be an assistant coach who does f*ck-all but somehow can't be fired, like Lappy.
My first order of business is to have Scok Gordok coach the goalies

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
That's how I look at the question of who's "best."

I ask myself, if one were injured, which one would have a stronger negative effect on the team? Giroux or Provorov?

I hope I never have to find out.

I look at it the opposite way.

I think the team could better absorb losing G from now until the playoffs started. I trust that some combo of the other big name forwards could step up and carry the team in his absence.

If either Ivan or Sanheim missed that same amount of time it hurts the team much more. I dont think the rest of the defense could provide enough.

That being said I still think G is still a better player then either of the D-man, even if not by much.

The make up of the rest of the team can have a huge effect on how important an individual player is.

Person101

Jul 12, 2019

Provy-Myers
Ghost-Braun
Provy-Nisky
Sanheim-Myers
The dude is putting up major minutes. I really don't see the negative of resting him on PP. You then have a rested Ghost playing PP1, who's on the 3rd D pair. Don't think it'll ever happen unfortunately.

Reactions: Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The dude is putting up major minutes. I really don't see the negative of resting him on PP. You then have a rested Ghost playing PP1, who's on the 3rd D pair. Don't think it'll ever happen unfortunately.
You...don't see the negative in having one of our 2 best PP dmen getting minimal PP time?

I'm just trying to get that straight

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You...don't see the negative in having one of our 2 best PP dmen getting minimal PP time?

I'm just trying to get that straight

Provy is not 1 of our 2 best PP dmen though. Hes just had a really lucky shooting season on the PP. He still takes too long to move the puck, is not deceptive enough, and struggles with keep ins.

I wouldnt mind if he was on PP2 though. That would cut his minutes and get Ghost back on PP1 and feeling like an important member of the team again. Hes gotten a really raw deal this year.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Creativity and vision of Sanheim in pretty colors
N5XKpYs.png

vs Provorov's point shots and perimeter play
LZ86gmG.png
Fractions of a percent have never looked more profound.

Regardless, the graphs are non-responsive to my quoted point that Sanhero has struggled mightily with flubbed pucks at the point just as much as Provorov. An area both must improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad