2019/20 Roster Thread XXXII (3/5: Farabee Recalled From LHV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you want to argue Sanheim should be on the PP over Provorov, you'll get no push back from me.

However, Provorov is still our best all around defenseman, Sanheim is lacking defensively to some extent (and embarrassed the franchise the other night, talk about soft!), Myers is still an adventure, Niskanen is solid but more limited offensively.

By this time next year you might be throwing Provorov, Sanheim and Myers' names in a hat. And if Myers' mental grasp of the game catches up to his physical skills, he might be talked about for a Norris in a few years.

Ghost doesn't belong in this conversation, despite certain parties who like to engage in nostalgia: "those were the days, my friends . . ."

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And if Myers' mental grasp of the game catches up to his physical skills, he might be talked about for a Norris in a few years.

I'd say that's about as likely as Sanheim's manliness catching up to his softness and becoming the next Dave Manson.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sanheim and Ghost are both better offensively than Provorov so of course out-of-date people who dislike scoring (shoutout to Hakstol) would severely underrate them.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Sanheim has no pysicality in his game whatsoever. He has to be the softest defenseman I've ever seen play for the Flyers.
It's going to be interesting to watch him in a playoff series. I mean, who do you want on the ice against Ovechkin? Provorov or Sanheim?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd say that's about as likely as Sanheim's manliness catching up to his softness and becoming the next Dave Manson.

I have to balance my cynical skeptical side with occasional spasms of hope.

In my experience, every so often a player will surprise you (good or bad), "well, I never saw THAT coming."

Myers is a unicorn, so one can dream. I mean Subban won a Norris . . .

Even with Hagg, I retain hope that he might figure it out, it has happened.

There's a difference between seeing a possible upside outcome, and being foolish enough to rely on it.

I'd like to see Patrick and Lindblom be 100% healthy and return in a year or two, but Fletcher has no business even thinking that's possible when making decisions.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ovechkin rocking a dominant 39 xGF% against Sanheim this year in 16 minutes. Only 5 less minutes than Provorov. So, uh, both?

Sanheim's not nearly as soft as some people's shitposting here.

Myers is a unicorn, so one can dream.

Athletically, sure. I'm as OG a Myers guy as it gets, but he's just more average in the hockey sense department. He balances that by playing unrelentingly aggressive in all 3 zones. Less thinking, more action. I probably overvalued his offense though in junior, in particular passing, which is the most important skill. His offense tends to just come from will and athleticism more than finesse. I do think he has more to offer offensively with his skating (wheeling the zone, continuing to trail rushes, cuts at the blue line to open lanes), but his puck skills are a little inconsistent under pressure. Myers being a top 4 mainstay and 1-on-1 nightmare and improving in the details is more than enough for me. And totally realistic.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sanheim has always had a really high center of gravity, which works to his detriment in board & positional battles, & in fighting midgets a foot smaller.

Nevertheless I like Sanheim, & am glad he stood up for Giroux.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ehhhhhh idk, in the NBA people think you need Jamal Crawford’s (shot creators) come playoff time when points are hard to come by, but it’s not true in the slightest
Jamal Crawford is actually the last thing you want in the playoffs but not because of his offensive style. Crawford gave up more on the defensive end and teams could run him off the court.

The NBA game is the one that changes the most stylistically in the playoffs imo. Teams go to 7-8 man rotations and each possession turns into seeking out the weak link defensively.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Provy has benn given the task of being the point guy on the PP. it’s new to him and as the season has progressed he has grown into that role. Sanheim has a ton of offensive talent and may well take that spot from Provorov. Time will tell.
The more that I watch Myers, the more that I become convinced that with more experience he will become a defensive beast. His size, strength and quicks take away so much ice that it’s amazing. In time, he will become a defensive force on the back end and that’s before one takes into consideration what he can do on the offensive side of the rink. He’s going to get tested from a physical point. Some Wilson type will challenge him. (Foligno thought about it last night.)At that point we will really see what he’s made of. If he can handle that, he’s a Scott Stevens type in the making.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
What did i miss w sanheim embarrassing the franchise/standing up for G? Oh lawd how bad was it?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
What did i miss w sanheim embarrassing the franchise/standing up for G? Oh lawd how bad was it?
There were a slew of posters mocking Hagg for losing a fight to a 5 yr younger player who was roughly his same size.

It was overblown. Who cares.

Just a little funny that those same people tended to be defensive about Sanheim getting outmuscled & thrown down in a fight against someone a foot smaller & 50 lbs lighter.

Neither really matters. Good for both for getting in there. Just karma for one group exaggerating the “embarrassment” of one situation but acting differently about the probably objectively more physically embarrassing situation of the other.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Bet you didn't know Provorov has 3 less 5v5 points than Hagg.......in twice the ice time!!11!!1!!

Some other fun stats: Sanheim leads the defense in 5v5 points with 17. Of the 17, 14 are primary points. Next highest is 9, and it's Myers. Sanheim's only 9 points back from the overall team defense lead, while seeing only 50 PP minutes all season, none with PP1. Despite being the 2nd most productive PP defenseman on last year's roster.

giphy.gif

What I love about our young defense core, is that they balance well, each with his own strengths. Provorov will usually lead the team in average minutes, and has played better and made more strides than non-PP points indicate, but Sanheim has seen usage right up there. I've always viewed them as a unit, not a "#1" and the rest. Sanheim's offensive upside is higher due to his playmaking, and it'd be a shame if we never get a run with him on PP1.
We are at the point where Sanheim and Myers are playing just as much as Prov/Nisk at 5v5 which I dig a lot. Provorov will always end up with the most minutes because of special teams. Hopefully that changes as Sanheim sees more and more PP minutes, but who the hell knows.

Granted, it's tough for me to keep up with fancy stats on my work weeks (though I've decided to try much harder to do so) but all signs point to Sanheim outperforming Provorov in possession metrics pretty regularly. We have the luxury have having 3 beastly young defensemen, all who can move the puck at an above NHL-average level, with one having the potential to pace the NHL in that area.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Sanheim has no pysicality in his game whatsoever. He has to be the softest defenseman I've ever seen play for the Flyers.
It's going to be interesting to watch him in a playoff series. I mean, who do you want on the ice against Ovechkin? Provorov or Sanheim?
Neither of them are incapable of stopping Ovechkin or any other top player for that matter. One of them is much more likely to contribute to 5 on 5 scoring, though, despite the skill level of the opposition

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Sanheim & Myers are improving as a pair, which is great news. The staff just decided to roll with giving them experience leading up to the playoffs, & it seems to be paying off.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
You try to have a
Ovechkin rocking a dominant 39 xGF% against Sanheim this year in 16 minutes. Only 5 less minutes than Provorov. So, uh, both?

Sanheim's not nearly as soft as some people's shitposting here.

Athletically, sure. I'm as OG a Myers guy as it gets, but he's just more average in the hockey sense department. He balances that by playing unrelentingly aggressive in all 3 zones. Less thinking, more action. I probably overvalued his offense though in junior, in particular passing, which is the most important skill. His offense tends to just come from will and athleticism more than finesse. I do think he has more to offer offensively with his skating (wheeling the zone, continuing to trail rushes, cuts at the blue line to open lanes), but his puck skills are a little inconsistent under pressure. Myers being a top 4 mainstay and 1-on-1 nightmare and improving in the details is more than enough for me. And totally realistic.
You can see him using his legs to create space much more often in the Ozone though, ESPECIALLY from a stop at the blueline. I saw 2 head fake moves last night, and one worked to perfection with him blowing by a forward and getting a shot off. If he can consistently make those reads on when he has a forward in a spot to beat he could really push his offensive game forward.

He's also abandoning the lob clear. Yay

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I'll just respectfully agree to disagree. Personally I dont think Provorov has played up to what I think he can be but players have their ups and downs especially ones trying to establish themselves.

Ghost is or should be coming into his prime right now but hes had some up and down years with injuries and stretches where the coach scratches him(happened under two regimes). I dont know what's going on in his head right now but hes not that same player who was dynamic. Now I'm not saying he doesn't show up but the problem right now for him is injuries and consistency. You can say it's his partner, the coach, or whatever I honestly just dont see that same guy since his career year. The last year of Hak he was up and down in play. I gave him the benefit of the doubt considering Hak and him had a beef. I thought he would rebound this year but he has repactured that level of play we grown to see.

he's been figured out by the competition to a sufficient degree to nullify his very best offensive moves, and as a defenseman, he is below average. when both these obvious paths are exploited by opponents, you're left with a player who has to figure out how to address them as a fulltime NHL player. all on ghost to figure out what to do to...or else...he's relegated to bench by a simple Robert Hagg. as he should be, because what Ghost has to offer is currently unnecessary for Flyers to be successful.

yes, he has offensive skills...but he has to figure out how to connect with teammates all of the time., not like before. Adapt, adapt, adapt.

Reactions: pooch and renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I've heard incessant whining the last few years about how young players are managed by the Flyers.

What talented young Flyer has failed to progress (obviously, Patrick and Lindblom don't count, though Lindblom was on an all star pace)?
Frost may be brought along slower than some would like, but he's all of 20.
Provorov, TK, Sanheim, Myers, Hart.
Laughton has probably maxed his talent, Farabee, NAK, Bunnaman holding their own.

I guess they've held Hagg back. :sarcasm:

Don't think you can blame development for injuries to Ghost and Morin.

Now look around the league at al the young players traded b/c their teams lost patience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad