2019/20 Roster Thread XXXII (3/5: Farabee Recalled From LHV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Josh Archibald just re-signed in Edm....2 years at 1.5 million per. He has 20 pts on the season, would have been a UFA, and PK's.

Pitlick has 20 points on the season....Grant has 25. So that is likely the lowest we would get Pitlick for and Grant being a C will get more.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't believe in signing fungible players like Pitlick and Grant as UFAs. They've been terrific but once you start paying them market value then you're not getting the same value.

Reactions: Tripod

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Ivan Provorov is a really good offensive hockey player who deserves more credit than he gets for that. He knows what the f*** to do with a hockey puck to create scoring chances. He doesn't do twirls, he can't make amazing diving keeps, but he can facilitate a lot of offense because he makes good decisions. He's really smart. Smart players can score without making your jaw drop.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov doesn't need to be - and isn't asked to be - the QB on the top unit. Ghost isn't when he's there either.

However, whoever's there still has to be quick and decisive in the instances when he does have the puck. Even if that's simply going from Giroux to Voracek or vice versa.

Too often Provorov gets the puck from one of them and then pauses for too long, giving the PKers time to react. Unfortunately that hasn't improved and there's no reason to believe it will. It's been a consistent issue all year and in previous years on the 2nd unit. He's just a turret and that's not good enough.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ivan Provorov is a really good offensive hockey player who deserves more credit than he gets for that. He knows what the f*** to do with a hockey puck to create scoring chances. He doesn't do twirls, he can't make amazing diving keeps, but he can facilitate a lot of offense because he makes good decisions. He's really smart. Smart players can score without making your jaw drop.

Right up until he's out on the PP... then no.

It's puzzling. It's as if his brain shuts down because he has too much time. He doesn't need to think, he needs to act.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
21 defensemen have played >180 minutes on the PP this season. Here are Ivan's ranks:

Goals/60 (1/21)
Shooting% (1/21)
ixGF/60 (17/21)
Assists/60 (20/21)
First Assists/60 (21/21)
Points/60 (15/21)
xGF/60 (19/21)
If his 18.4 shooting % holds, it would be tied for the highest among defensemen in the last 3 years. For perspective, after Letang at 18.2%, 3rd place is Makar at 10.8%. That's quite the drop off. It's hard to explain that on talent alone, but even if we begin from that assumption, Provorov's individual expected goals/60 ranks 17th. He's actually scoring 4x the goals/60 that his shot locations indicate he should score. Now, that's a far from perfect statistic, but those are shot locations and shooting %s that look ripe for regression. Most of his PP goals are the seeing eye variety.

The curious thing is, Ivan actually has a monster wrist shot. Off the rush or when he activates into a seam, he can drag pull his release with the best of 'em. But on the PP, he pretty much just shoots point floaters and one timers from the blue line. But they're finding their way in.

And with the PP issues in general (Michel, ma belle), I'm not saying his assist numbers and on-ice stats aren't a little low, but they're still essentially dead last. Does that match the eye test? The previous 3 years of data isn't irrelevant either. In the end, it's impossible to get usage like this and not produce. So, the question is: is he and will he continue to provide positive value there? How do we define positive value? Is he the best option, the easiest option, etc.? I think he has that spot locked up for years to come now. But that doesn't make it settled science.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I don't believe in signing fungible players like Pitlick and Grant as UFAs. They've been terrific but once you start paying them market value then you're not getting the same value.

I'm not for keeping both of them. I'd at least like them to tender an offer to Grant though if he keeps up this sort of play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
xGF/60 on the PP this season:

Giroux 6.93
Voracek 6.80
TK 6.65
NAK, Couts 6.47
Ghost 6.24
Hayes 6.20
Sanheim 6.01
Provorov 5.93
JVR 5.91
Niskanen 4.96

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
21 defensemen have played >180 minutes on the PP this season. Here are Ivan's ranks:

Goals/60 (1/21)
Shooting% (1/21)
ixGF/60 (17/21)
Assists/60 (20/21)
First Assists/60 (21/21)
Points/60 (15/21)
xGF/60 (19/21)
If his 18.4 shooting % holds, it would be tied for the highest among defensemen in the last 3 years. For perspective, after Letang at 18.2%, 3rd place is Makar at 10.8%. That's quite the drop off. It's hard to explain that on talent alone, but even if we begin from that assumption, Provorov's individual expected goals/60 ranks 17th. He's actually scoring 4x the goals/60 that his shot locations indicate he should score. Now, that's a far from perfect statistic, but those are shot locations and shooting %s that look ripe for regression. Most of his PP goals are the seeing eye variety.

The curious thing is, Ivan actually has a monster wrist shot. Off the rush or when he activates into a seam, he can drag pull his release with the best of 'em. But on the PP, he pretty much just shoots point floaters and one timers from the blue line. But they're finding their way in.

And with the PP issues in general (Michel, ma belle), I'm not saying his assist numbers and on-ice stats aren't a little low, but they're still essentially dead last. Does that match the eye test? The previous 3 years of data isn't irrelevant either. In the end, it's impossible to get usage like this and not produce. So, the question is: is he and will he continue to provide positive value there? How do we define positive value? Is he the best option, the easiest option, etc.? I think he has that spot locked up for years to come now. But that doesn't make it settled science.
Stats? Numbers? Actual results?

200.gif

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think he has that spot locked up for years to come now. But that doesn't make it settled science.
I don’t know how you draft a guy like York without thinking he is the future power play guy. It will take a few seasons for the coaching staff to trust him, but I don’t see Provorov as the permanent power play defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->