2019/20 Roster Thread XXXII (3/5: Farabee Recalled From LHV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Dont see how you criticize Provy so much but you love to prop up Ghost like he hasn't been struggling.
Nothing I’ve said about either player has been incorrect. I don't really care if you or anyone else likes what I'm saying, so long as it's true and defensible.

Provorov IS bad on the PP
Provorov IS playing too many minutes
Ghost IS getting screwed by usage/teammates
Ghost IS getting extremely unlucky with assists
BOTH players make mistakes and are far from perfect
BOTH players have pros and cons
BOTH players are top pair quality

The reason I post different types of posts about each is because one is often overrated and one is often underrated.

Last edited:

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
NAK vs his immediate rookie FWD peers (Rookie FWDS with 280-380 TOI at 5v5 this season):

E0ACCF7F-BF17-423F-AFFD-CBA979F7DD0F.jpeg

He’s producing and he’s been a very effective bottom 6er for this team. It’s been fun to watch him take the reins and run away with the opportunity he’s been given. Seems like he has the potential to be the quintessential playoff bodysmasher/forecheck machine.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Nothing I’ve said about either player has been incorrect. I don't really care if you or anyone else likes what I'm saying, so long as it's true and defensible.

Provorov IS bad on the PP
Provorov IS playing too many minutes
Ghost IS getting screwed by usage/teammates
Ghost IS getting extremely unlucky with assists
BOTH players make mistakes and are far from perfect
BOTH players have pros and cons
BOTH players are top pair quality

The reason I post different types of posts about each is because one is often overrated and one is often underrated.

I'll just respectfully agree to disagree. Personally I dont think Provorov has played up to what I think he can be but players have their ups and downs especially ones trying to establish themselves.

Ghost is or should be coming into his prime right now but hes had some up and down years with injuries and stretches where the coach scratches him(happened under two regimes). I dont know what's going on in his head right now but hes not that same player who was dynamic. Now I'm not saying he doesn't show up but the problem right now for him is injuries and consistency. You can say it's his partner, the coach, or whatever I honestly just dont see that same guy since his career year. The last year of Hak he was up and down in play. I gave him the benefit of the doubt considering Hak and him had a beef. I thought he would rebound this year but he has repactured that level of play we grown to see.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'll just respectfully agree to disagree. Personally I dont think Provorov has played up to what I think he can be but players have their ups and downs especially ones trying to establish themselves.

Ghost is or should be coming into his prime right now but hes had some up and down years with injuries and stretches where the coach scratches him(happened under two regimes). I dont know what's going on in his head right now but hes not that same player who was dynamic. Now I'm not saying he doesn't show up but the problem right now for him is injuries and consistency. You can say it's his partner, the coach, or whatever I honestly just dont see that same guy since his career year. The last year of Hak he was up and down in play. I gave him the benefit of the doubt considering Hak and him had a beef. I thought he would rebound this year but he has repactured that level of play we grown to see.

That's the thing, he really hasn't had up and down years, at least not because of anything under his control or because of his own quality of play.

Look at each one...

First year = great
Second year = recovering from same injury/surgery that ruined Giroux's season
Third year = great
Fourth year = screwed over by coaching
Firth year = screwed over again and also terrible luck

He's the same player he was in 2017-2018, but there's a reason his production changed when his usage/teammates and the PP changed. Like I keep saying, that matters for literally every player and it's why we saw the same huge change in guys like Couturier, Sanheim, and TK when their usage changed (only it was the opposite of Ghost's usage change).

With Provorov he's been given every single prime advantage in every single part of the game. Top usage immediately, the best teammates, immune from punishment for mistakes, undeserved PP time, and so on. We've never seen him get f***ed over like Ghost or Sanheim have been. Last year he was awful and what happens? A huge new contract, right back on the top pair, and tons of PP time. No matter how he plays, he can be confident that his spot is secure. Ghost still has to look over his shoulder after every mistake because the coaches are just itching to punish him, and Sanheim was the same until recently (and both are getting screwed over with PP usage too, in spite of being far better PP players than Provorov or Niskanen).

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
OK, my bad. It's tough to tell sometimes. I couldn't remember if you'd ever took a stance on the issue before so I didn't want to assume either way.
I either shitpost or do my post game things pretty much, it isn't worth arguing with people about players. Everyone has their minds made up anyway.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim and Myers have more upside than Provorov, but call me next year when they put together an extended stretch (not a couple of weeks) of elite play, don't miss games, and don't have long streaks of inconsistent play.

Provorov is having an "off" stretch (by his standards), which makes me think he may be a bit dinged.
He's never missed a game in his career and averages 25 minutes a night the last two seasons.
His playoff performance against the Pens, playing with one arm, was one for the ages.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Definitely the second most important. Dunno if I would call him second best though.

God have mercy on us if either him or Coots gets injured.

That's how I look at the question of who's "best."

I ask myself, if one were injured, which one would have a stronger negative effect on the team? Giroux or Provorov?

I hope I never have to find out.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't envy you, it's hard work my dude
I know it's basically pointless too - it's incredibly rare to see an argument on here where it eventually results in someone changing their mind... and it never happens when it's the people I argue with - but I figure it's more about swaying the 3rd person spectators who might be on the fence and dishonest posters deserve to be exposed.

Reactions: royals119

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
For months, but it's not worth trying to convince people

Bet you didn't know Provorov has 3 less 5v5 points than Hagg.......in twice the ice time!!11!!1!!

Some other fun stats: Sanheim leads the defense in 5v5 points with 17. Of the 17, 14 are primary points. Next highest is 9, and it's Myers. Sanheim's only 9 points back from the overall team defense lead, while seeing only 50 PP minutes all season, none with PP1. Despite being the 2nd most productive PP defenseman on last year's roster.

giphy.gif

What I love about our young defense core, is that they balance well, each with his own strengths. Provorov will usually lead the team in average minutes, and has played better and made more strides than non-PP points indicate, but Sanheim has seen usage right up there. I've always viewed them as a unit, not a "#1" and the rest. Sanheim's offensive upside is higher due to his playmaking, and it'd be a shame if we never get a run with him on PP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->