2019/20 Roster Thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Ignoring the contract completely, I think he's been a mix of quite a bit of good but also a large amount of bad.
There's been plenty of flashy good plays that stick out in our memories - like the breakaways, shorthanded goals, playing keep-away on the PK, or skating through the entire opposing team - but for every one of those moments there's been way too many times when he held on to the puck way too long and turned it over.

That's been a huge problem with him, his puck hogging tendencies and trying to be the hero.

He's also only really had success with either Farabee or 4th liners and every time he's been on a line with our skill players (Giroux, TK, Voracek, JVR) it's been a problem. So we can't even really blame his usage or teammates for his poor possession stats either.

I also dont think his defensive play is particularly great. Tries to leak out of the zone and relies on his skating and long reach too much. He allows himself to get on the wrong side of the puck knowing that he can recover most of the time but then will get burnt by it quite often as well.

If you focus on him in the D zone you'll catch his marks making open cuts to the net quite often considering he supposed to be a plus defensive player.

Still I think overall he has been a good add, at his age I'm not too worried about his contract going forward.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I also dont think his defensive play is particularly great. Tries to leak out of the zone and relies on his skating and long reach too much. He allows himself to get on the wrong side of the puck knowing that he can recover most of the time but then will get burnt by it quite often as well.

If you focus on him in the D zone you'll catch his marks making open cuts to the net quite often considering he supposed to be a plus defensive player.

Still I think overall he has been a good add, at his age I'm not too worried about his contract going forward.
My main concern has always been the potential for him to block Patrick and Frost.

It’s not impossible that both are better than him in the near future but I sure as hell don’t trust this staff to recognize that or adjust the lineup if it happens.

That’s why my evaluation of the signing (not happy at the time) and of the player himself (mostly positive) are very different.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Interesting update on Frost from Meltzer...

---

Phantoms rookie center Morgan Frost scored perhaps the game's most notable goal, in that it gave him a three-game goal and point (3g, 1a) streak since being sent back down to the Phantoms last Friday by the Flyers. On the play, he intercepted an errant, sloppy clearing pass attempt by Bridgeport and sniped a shot from the left dot past Gibson. The goal gave the Phantoms a 3-2 lead at 2:04 of the second period and ended Gibson's outing.

Frost buzzed around the offensive zone often in this game, and racked up four shots on goal. There was actually a near carbon copy of a fluky goal he scored off a faceoff win in Sunday's game, but Coreau fought off the knuckler.

In the third period, Frost set up a good chance for Andreoff. There weren't a lot of clutch saves made on the Bridgeport side but this was one.

It wasn't entirely a positive game for Frost. After taking good care of the puck in his first two games back with the Phantoms, he got burned on a couple low-percentage plays in this game. Most notably, in one sequence in the second period, Frost tried to go 1-on-2 with fancy stickhandling and lost the puck. It caused a Joshua Ho-Sang breakaway, which Berube erased.

Later, Frost did pull off a third period one-on-one spinorama to keep control of the puck. Frost had a couple misreads in the D zone in this game. Overall, he was out for three goals against and two goals for in a mixed bag of results.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I think it's more than that. Nobody liked Hextall's additions either. People are in love with our homegrown players.
For me there's no difference between a player we draft and a player we sign/trade for.

i agree

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

---

Phantoms rookie center Morgan Frost scored perhaps the game's most notable goal, in that it gave him a three-game goal and point (3g, 1a) streak since being sent back down to the Phantoms last Friday by the Flyers. On the play, he intercepted an errant, sloppy clearing pass attempt by Bridgeport and sniped a shot from the left dot past Gibson. The goal gave the Phantoms a 3-2 lead at 2:04 of the second period and ended Gibson's outing.

Frost buzzed around the offensive zone often in this game, and racked up four shots on goal. There was actually a near carbon copy of a fluky goal he scored off a faceoff win in Sunday's game, but Coreau fought off the knuckler.

In the third period, Frost set up a good chance for Andreoff. There weren't a lot of clutch saves made on the Bridgeport side but this was one.

It wasn't entirely a positive game for Frost. After taking good care of the puck in his first two games back with the Phantoms, he got burned on a couple low-percentage plays in this game. Most notably, in one sequence in the second period, Frost tried to go 1-on-2 with fancy stickhandling and lost the puck. It caused a Joshua Ho-Sang breakaway, which Berube erased.

Later, Frost did pull off a third period one-on-one spinorama to keep control of the puck. Frost had a couple misreads in the D zone in this game. Overall, he was out for three goals against and two goals for in a mixed bag of results.

It was an 8-5 Hockey game. Defense was pretty optional for every FWD on both teams. Bill looks for any and all opportunities to critique Frost’s play. More so than any prospect in recent memory IMO. It’s weird

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

---

And that's why he's playing big minutes in LHV instead of small minutes in Philly.

Sure he can play in the NHL right now, but he's not as polished as Farabee, who has been up and down but seems to have gotten past his rookie wall. Frost has NHL offensive skills, but was one of our worst forwards defensively when he was up. He has a lot to learn.

There's simply no reason to rush him while Laughton and Bunnaman are playing as well as they currently have, Frost isn't ready for a major NHL role right now, so letting him play in LHV keeps him in reserve and gives him needed pro experience.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It was an 8-5 Hockey game. Defense was pretty optional for every FWD on both teams. Bill looks for any and all opportunities to critique Frost’s play. More so than any prospect in recent memory IMO. It’s weird

Sometimes, you're hardest on those who have the greatest potential.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
People arguing that Elliott is having a good season because of his win-loss record.... in 2020. :facepalm:

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
People arguing that Elliott is having a good season because of his win-loss record.... in 2020. :facepalm:

Grant-Fuhr-and-rings-e1536014158701.jpeg

TB87

May 30, 2018
Sometimes, you're hardest on those who have the greatest potential.

I guess? What makes the whole thing odd is he was basically a cheerleader for Frost when he was playing with the Soo. Once he turned pro, it’s been the complete opposite. Just odd to me

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
@Appleyard @JojoTheWhale or any of you stat guys looking to fix an irritating anomaly with the NHL, create a power play index of goals per minute.

The current way of calculating Power Play efficiency is so flawed that it makes the stat almost useless. A 5 second power play is counted the same as a 5 minute power play:huh:.

I think there's a legit opportunity to create a more useful index that could be marketed and shared widely that could possibly gain enough traction that it would be adopted by the NHL.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I guess? What makes the whole thing odd is he was basically a cheerleader for Frost when he was playing with the Soo. Once he turned pro, it’s been the complete opposite. Just odd to me

Yeah, it is a bit strange. I really enjoy a lot of what Meltzer writes because he goes in depth on prospects, behind the scenes stuff, historical factoids, etc.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Reactions: flyersnorth

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Meltzer said Frost played well in his recent two game stint with the Flyers, and agreed with me that Frost was a better 3C option than Laughton.

HockeyBuzz.com - Forums - Bill Meltzer: Flyers Gameday: 2/13/20 @ FLA

Frost played fine in the Washington and Florida games.

Offensively, he played a part in two goals (although not credited with assists, because there were two touches in between), and easily could have a goal or two (hit crossbar late in Caps game, deflected shot barely wide in FLA game) and a primary assist (Myers breakaway).

Played with good pace in both games. Feet constantly moving. Was not an off-puck liability in either game.

Won 9 of 10 faceoffs in the Washington game.

He did have a bad PP2 play in Washington game, getting himself in trouble up high in the offensive zone (thankfully, Caps PK needed a line change, so they didn't counter after puck was poked past Frost). Had a turnover between the bluelines in his first shift vs. FLA, and lost a puck.

All in all, those were 2 good games. On merit, he deserved to stay in the lineup. But he made the most sense to remove based on reasons I described earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyersnorth

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
C zun ing

Sounds to me like a demotion that isn't called a demotion

I don't know why they keep coddling this bum, call it like it is a demotion.

But in all seriousness, it's good to see that he's making his way back and whatever they did last weekend helped make him feel better. Let's see how long that lasts though as injections are weird.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
@Appleyard @JojoTheWhale or any of you stat guys looking to fix an irritating anomaly with the NHL, create a power play index of goals per minute.

The current way of calculating Power Play efficiency is so flawed that it makes the stat almost useless. A 5 second power play is counted the same as a 5 minute power play:huh:.

I think there's a legit opportunity to create a more useful index that could be marketed and shared widely that could possibly gain enough traction that it would be adopted by the NHL.
I think most people in the know look at the chances that are being created by the PP as a way to gauge how good it is

TB87

May 30, 2018

PP Goals For Per 60. It’s available on any and all stats sites: NaturalStatTrick, EvolvingHockey, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad