2019/20 Roster Thread XXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
@Appleyard @JojoTheWhale or any of you stat guys looking to fix an irritating anomaly with the NHL, create a power play index of goals per minute.

The current way of calculating Power Play efficiency is so flawed that it makes the stat almost useless. A 5 second power play is counted the same as a 5 minute power play:huh:.

I think there's a legit opportunity to create a more useful index that could be marketed and shared widely that could possibly gain enough traction that it would be adopted by the NHL.
And then ratio it out to make it goals/2 min

Pretty easy

2 x [PPG ÷ (5 on 4 mins played)] = PPG per 2 mins (i.e. per avg powerplay)

I just woke up did I do that right

EDIT or we can just keep looking at xGF when 5 on 4 that would work too

Reactions: Asnito

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I don't know why they keep coddling this bum, call it like it is a demotion.

But in all seriousness, it's good to see that he's making his way back and whatever they did last weekend helped make him feel better. Let's see how long that lasts though as injections are weird.
Wait did he actually get shots in his knee? I miss a lot of things during my work weeks

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I think most people in the know look at the chances that are being created by the PP as a way to gauge how good it is
Yeah but I'm talking about creating a stat 'goals per minute' that would be used instead of 'goals per opportunities' on broadcasts/discussions. Most fans, especially casual fans, want an easy metric with which to follow their teams success.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
@TB87 Looks like you need to sign in to get the information but I was wondering how much different the rankings are as compared to the current ones.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
@TB87 Looks like you need to sign in to get the information but I was wondering how much different the rankings are as compared to the current ones.

NaturalStatTrick in particular does not require users to sign in

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know why they keep coddling this bum, call it like it is a demotion.

But in all seriousness, it's good to see that he's making his way back and whatever they did last weekend helped make him feel better. Let's see how long that lasts though as injections are weird.
Yup, and sending him down is no big deal. They already tried the normal way of just bringing him back without a conditioning stint and it ended poorly, so this time they want to play it safe and make sure he’s able to play before putting him in the lineup (which they better do as soon as he’s definitely ready).

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I love the sarcastic posts mixed in with the genuine dumb ones. :laugh:

Which ones are which...

tenor.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good idea to try and get Ghost some games while not disrupting the lineup that is working.

Show he is ready to play before deadline day.

Trading Ghost when he has had a poor season and been hampered by injury, makes me think of all those terrible Giroux for Galchencyuk proposals during/after G's bad 16-17 season.

Proposal: - Galchenyuk+ for Giroux

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I guess? What makes the whole thing odd is he was basically a cheerleader for Frost when he was playing with the Soo. Once he turned pro, it’s been the complete opposite. Just odd to me

Maybe he is just reporting what he sees now. Which is a mixed of good and bad things which is normal for a young hockey player.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I also dont think his defensive play is particularly great. Tries to leak out of the zone and relies on his skating and long reach too much. He allows himself to get on the wrong side of the puck knowing that he can recover most of the time but then will get burnt by it quite often as well.

If you focus on him in the D zone you'll catch his marks making open cuts to the net quite often considering he supposed to be a plus defensive player.

Still I think overall he has been a good add, at his age I'm not too worried about his contract going forward.

Without looking at numbers I think Hayes is totally a plus defensively, especially considering his PK work, which is unquestionably excellent. Hayes is very much a gambler and his whole game is sort of designed to try to set up home run plays and I think that style is far preferable to the passive defensive zone tactics the Flyers have used in the past. He's not Couts or ROR or Bergeron but he's effective.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
I like using Net PP% because it takes into account giving up up SHG.

NHL.com Stats

Damn. Ottawa have 14 SHG. So they are 21st in PK%, but in 8th Net PK%.

NHL.com Stats

Every year or two I'll fiddle on that particular page and remember how things used to be. For anyone still unconvinced that the orders-following refs and their selective enforcement have an enormous impact on the game:

PP TOI / Game, by team:
-------------------
2005-06: 11:17 (first) to 7:58 (last)
2007-08: 8:18 (first) to 5:46 (last)
2009-10: 6:35 (first) to 5:05 (last)
(proceeds to stabilize between 6:00 and 4:30)
2019-20: 5:52 (first) to 3:51 (last)

From 1997-98 (when the numbers are first available) up to the lost season, all teams but one* averaged more than 5:30.

Just one reason the Caps and Bruins have been able to sustain, imo.

* 2001-02 Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->