Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Im very pleased with AV and Yeo so far.

Therrien has destroyed the PP though.

30th in Expected GF %

We have not finished worse than 10th in the past decade in that according to @Appleyard

Hes really cocked it all up.

Therrien is the new Hak. at least he's confined to the PP and can't infect the rest of the lineup with his stupidity.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Im very pleased with AV and Yeo so far.

Therrien has destroyed the PP though.

30th in Expected GF %

We have not finished worse than 10th in the past decade in that according to @Appleyard

Hes really cocked it all up.
What Therrien is allowed to do under AV is AVs fault, just like what Hextall let Hakstol get away with is Hextalls fault.

AV has final say.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
True to some extent, but im still very happy with AV overall.

Best start since before you were born. Myers, Frost, Farabee all playing. Im good.
I’m not campaigning for him to be fired but he’s f***ed up a lot of very easy decisions and continues to do so.

I also don’t think it makes sense to give him credit for decisions that should be expected of any pro coach or for things that are outside of his control.

He’s getting an excessive amount of praise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’m not campaigning for him to be fired but he’s ****ed up a lot of very easy decisions and continues to do so.

I also don’t think it makes sense to give him credit for decisions that should be expected of any pro coach or for things that are outside of his control.

He’s getting an excessive amount of praise.

Doesnt make sense to think that every single decision has to fall in line with your own ideas for them to be acceptable. Youd be a lot happier if you accepted that not everything is going to go your way. If the process and results on the ice are going well, I can live with a few decisions not going my way. You cannot lol

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I'm sure AV is totally aware of the PP issues and so far quickly changes things he doesn't think are working. The PP has the exception because its been awkward from the start. Interesting to see how he approaches this with his buddy MT.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Doesnt make sense to think that every single decision has to fall in line with your own ideas for them to be acceptable. Youd be a lot happier if you accepted that not everything is going to go your way. If the process and results on the ice are going well, I can live with a few decisions not going my way. You cannot lol
Oh don’t start with this imaginary nonsense too :laugh: There’s plenty that doesn’t have to go my exact way, but there’s also a few key things that aren’t acceptable.

For example...
-Giroux on the right side of the PP = wrong
-Stewart playing = wrong
-Hagg playing = wrong
-Ghost being scratched = wrong
... these are right/wrong decisions that they chose wrong on.

Then there’s plenty of things that I disagree with but I can tolerate...
-JVR on the 4th line
-Provorov on the PP
-Niskanen on the PP
-Sanheim off of the PP
-Voracek off of PP1
-Frost/Farabee getting low ice time
-using the forward lines so equally
...and so on

Don’t take shots that you know aren’t true.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

Process is not going well. This very thread has detailed the needless self-harm done to the PP -- it's not a selfish, solipsistic whine when you have a theoretical foundation supporting data.

Even tonight they're going to choose to put Hagg on ice over Vorobyev. Stewart is still on the roster. It's not like we're quibbling over which center Jake gets to play with.

You are the dog in the burning room saying "This is fine." I guess the coffee's warm, at least?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
upload_2019-12-6_9-56-39.png

Hagg...as bad as he's ever been.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
So I may be wrong. But is this what has now happened. Ghost benched for three games. Comes back and plays really well. Coach constantly is uncertain as to who will be benched between him and Hagg and Myers. And the rewards said good play with less ice time and more with Hayes (arguably the least effective offensive line) and removed for both pp units??? Is this really what has happened ?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Process is not going well. This very thread has detailed the needless self-harm done to the PP -- it's not a selfish, solipsistic whine when you have a theoretical foundation supporting data.

Even tonight they're going to choose to put Hagg on ice over Vorobyev. Stewart is still on the roster. It's not like we're quibbling over which center Jake gets to play with.

You are the dog in the burning room saying "This is fine." I guess the coffee's warm, at least?

They are dominating at 5v5 and on the PK. Those processes are going extremely well. Young players that wouldnt have played this early under the last regime are playing. We are off to our best start since 1996. The PP process is not going well. These are all facts.

Your last sentence in bold is a f***ing joke considering all of the above and where we are in the standings.

It's actually pretty sad that anyone would even like your post when you ended it with that sentence.

16-8-5 record with a new coach, no Nolan Patrick yet, 3 rookies in the lineup, but i'm the dog in the burning room because I am happy with the season so far?

This place blows sometimes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The team got off to a pretty hot start 5v5, but have been pretty ordinary the last 20 games.

Scored adjusted 5v5 play:
CF% - 14th
xGF% - 23rd (mostly due to lack of quality chances)
GF% - 13th

Add on the PP has been last by a good margin in xGF/60 over that same time and results like last night shouldn't be shocking. They played well, but something is missing. Could probably stand to be more aggressive offensively. They have the talent edge most nights (last night in particular).

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The team got off to a pretty hot start 5v5, but have been pretty ordinary the last 20 games.

Scored adjusted 5v5 play:
CF% - 14th
xGF% - 23rd (mostly due to lack of quality chances)
GF% - 13th

Add on the PP has been last by a good margin in xGF/60 over that same time and results like last night shouldn't be shocking. They played well, but something is missing.

Is it a Sniper?

OOOOH, I hope it's a sniper!

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

You mention the PP. Can you please give us a detailed and LOGICAL explanation why it stopped working last year..even before they switched it?

Can you please tell us detailed and first account info of how important Matt Hendricks was to WPG lockerroom 3 years ago in their 52 game won season? I just read a similar article about how Stewart is actually a big part of team morale, so just wondering your expertise on hockey players mentality?

I mean, we learned SOO much about professional coaching from this board with Berube

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think a longer view is recommended:

1) this team is off to a fast start, unusual for AV compared to Van and NYR first seasons, a good sign
2) the team's success has been driven by the goalies getting red hot in November after a bad October, but note they managed to tread water with bad goalies that month, but it also suggests some regression is to be expected
3) the team is still a work in progress, AV and Fletcher are probably just now getting a feel of how the players fit with what AV wants to do, some tweaks are almost inevitable the next couple months.

I think a lot of moves so far are just AV "feeling" out his team, seeing how different players function in different roles.

One glaring hole to me is the absence of a prime-time "Simmonds," the guy who can park in front of the net, set screens and score on rebounds.
They've tried JVR in that role, but he seems better suited as a sniper planting himself 5-10' from the net.
Lindblom tries but is a bit undersized and doesn't have the great hands.

The other problem is that Frost and Farabee are on the steep learning curve, they may not be effective until the spring or next year, it's not that they're a liability, but dealing with NHL speed (and NHL size for Farabee, given his style of play) and finishing plays have been an issue for them.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
6th best record in the league = a burning room. :laugh:
We get people using “advanced stats,” particularly xGF%, to argue the team hasn’t really been playing that well, while they ignore those same exact stats when they say Braun has been the team’s best defenseman & Gostisbehere even worse than Hagg.

Are they gospel or not?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
6th best record in the league = a burning room. :laugh:

Until the Flyers prove that they are not the same old streaky team that they’ve been for years I’m going to reserve my excitement.

They’re on the high point of their winning streak and that put them at 5th. Let’s see where they are after this losing streak that’s possibly coming up.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
A forward who is 6’2” ~200Lbs is in no way undersized...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We get people using “advanced stats,” particularly xGF%, to argue the team hasn’t really been playing that well, while they ignore those same exact stats when they say Braun has been the team’s best defenseman & Gostisbehere even worse than Hagg.

Are they gospel or not?

Have you tried applying proper context? It helps a lot. Give it a shot, instead of isolating numbers and yelling about that as if that remotely matters.

We have told you this numerous times. The numbers themselves aren't gospel. They are part of a story. Why do you insist on not understanding this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad