2019/20 Roster Thread XXV [Dec. 4: Vorobyev recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
We have too many forwards who have been completely unproductive on the PP.

JVR, Hayes, Farabee, and Frost have 2 PP points combined.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This PP problem is 90% thanks to coaching decisions, 10% bad luck. If they put people where they belonged, and thrived for YEARS, this wouldn't be an issue.

Those numbers just go to show how insanely stupid the "bUt iTs WoRKinG sO wE sHoUldNt ChAnGe iT" arguments are.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think some decisions, especially the usage of Farabee and Frost, are partially about looking ahead to the playoffs, i.e. player development.
Frost for example, should eventually shine on the PP given his toolkit, but you have to give him some time there to develop in that role.
The basic tradeoff between win now and win a little later.

Provorov may simply reflect that he's the best shooter among D-men, and they want him on the PP in some role, though I think PP QB is not the highest and best use for him.

Niskanen may be as a steadying influence right now, in the long run he shouldn't be on the PP, but Myers probably isn't trusted right now as the RH shot.
Flyers were well above the league average in short handed goals allowed the last few years.

JVR is an interesting case, my theory is he's still adjusting to playing more of a "Simmonds" role rather than his usual spot near, but not in front, of the net. Pucks come at different angles, you focus more on setting screens and rebounds bounce out in tighter traffic.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Farabee was lousy on the PP. I like Frost on PP1 as the better option.

The units they’re going with tonight seem pretty good to me.

Ultimately, though, I think one D is enough for PP2 (Niskanen) & that it’d be better to get Hayes on that unit with Couturier, Lindblom, & Voracek.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Myers would be 5th on my PP depth chart. And he'd be soon passed by York and Zamula, even Kalynuk, if he hits. He's got a good shot (when he actually gets it through and isn't flinging low danger ones from the blue line), but playing the point on the PP is about so much more than a shot. Playmaking, entries, deception, poise. Those aren't my first descriptors for Phil. On some more defense starved teams, I could see him having a secondary PP2 role........not this team. Last I checked, Sanheim (Ghost?) isn't even on the PP. Getting PK time should be his ambition in the coming years.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Flyers could put together a pretty good PP unit with guys that currently are not on the PP.

Hayes
Farabee
Patrick
Sanheim
Myers

The PP doesn’t suck due to a lack of options.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Myers would be 5th on my PP depth chart. And he'd be soon passed by York and Zamula, even Kalynuk, if he hits. He's got a good shot (when he actually gets it through and isn't flinging low danger ones from the blue line), but playing the point on the PP is about so much more than a shot. Playmaking, entries, deception, poise. Those aren't my first descriptors for Phil. On some more defense starved teams, I could see him having a secondary PP2 role........not this team. Last I checked, Sanheim (Ghost?) isn't even on the PP. Getting PK time should be his ambition in the coming years.
Which is why Ghost and Sanheim are the clear two best options.

Like I keep saying, Provorov is basically just a turret once they're set up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Just absurd. They have to sort it out... if they can they have a legit shot at being one of the better teams in the league come playoffs.

tenor.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He's been doing a better job moving the puck on the PP this season. I think he feels more comfortable. He's still not the best option, but i've seen some improvement.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
How do we know he isn't the issue? A few early season points?
Most PP points on the entire team. Consistently getting his shot on net.

Why do you want to take the team’s leading PP producer off the top unit based on previous seasons instead of the current one?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
To echo Appleyard, results often mask process. Until they don't.

The PP has shown almost no ability to execute plays below the circles, besides JVR jam plays. As a great philosopher once said, "Purple baaaaad."

kxUGJtn.png
Out of curiosity, how does that heat map compare to other teams’?

Reactions: Tripod

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
How do we know he isn't the issue? A few early season points?

The eye test. He's been very simple and executes 90% of his plays.

A good example of ppl seeing what they want to see was a few games back where one poster(not a slight) screamed to get Provy off cuz the PP wasn't clicking, and said he cost 2 turnovers, when infact, that never even happened, like, at all.

TBH, even when the pp has been complete junk, Provy has directed pucks on net.

The only thing that could be questioned is how would the pp be fairing if he was more creative in that spot?

Last edited:
Reactions: LorneMalvo

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
To echo Appleyard, results often mask process. Until they don't.

The PP has shown almost no ability to execute plays below the circles, besides JVR jam plays. As a great philosopher once said, "Purple baaaaad."

kxUGJtn.png

So is this a forward problem or the dmen? Would Ghosts creative ability fix this specific problem in your opinion?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Statistically, Provy gets hit shot through at a higher rate than the others. That feels right. Ghost takes 8 more shot attempts/60 and gets 1 less on net. But Provy's shots also grade out as lower danger /60, even though he gets more through. A 20% individual shooting % also isn't sustainable from that distance or any distance.

They're pretty mediocre either way not getting looks in higher % areas. Just a matter of degree. It's a team problem too, with all the unit nonsense.

i1TXPFZ.png

Out of curiosity, how does that heat map compare to other teams’?

The colors are relative to league averages. The comparison is baked in. They're not 27th in xGF/60 on the PP because they shoot from dangerous spots. Obviously, PKs want to prevent those and encourage perimeter shots. Every PP takes point shots. But good PPs still get below dot chances.

Here's the heat chart of the league best VGK (by xGF):

2Y8oqUl.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad