2019/20 Roster Thread XXV [Dec. 4: Vorobyev recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Speaking of the Flyers roster, did you see that new Garth Brooks commercial? That yodeling **** is just shameless, treating all his mongrel fans like an ATM.

MediumUnknownBarnacle-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I know that everyone talks about Jake. But I really think this is last season for JVR in Philly. Maybe 2 seasons due to expansion where he should be primary target for Seattle.

And I still don't know if Farabee wouldn't be better on LW, his primary position in juniors. But he is still good too on RW, only good for us.
LW: G, Oskar, Farabee/Frost .. RW: TK, Jake, Farabee/Patrick(?).

I think that C is locked for Couts and Hayes. Then battle between Frost and Patrick (if he will be healthy again). 4th line? There we have a lot of players, Raffl and Laughton are lock, they can be best 4th line duo in the league for me.

Umm, summer will be pretty interesting for us again. It's good feeling.

Reactions: duffy9748

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seattle might prefer Ghost, or one of the young forwards. June 2021 is still a long time from now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR has the edge on Jake, deal is $1M less, one year less, and JVR is a goal scorer, something this team generally lacks.
And watching them this year, the speed gap between them has narrowed considerably.
Advanced metrics favor JVR so far this season:

JVR CF 54.98%, xGF 57.67%, HDCF 63.53%, PDO 1.011
Voracek CF 52.51%, xGF 48.54%, HDCF 53.09%, PDO 1.003

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I know that everyone talks about Jake. But I really think this is last season for JVR in Philly. Maybe 2 seasons due to expansion where he should be primary target for Seattle.

And I still don't know if Farabee wouldn't be better on LW, his primary position in juniors. But he is still good too on RW, only good for us.
LW: G, Oskar, Farabee/Frost .. RW: TK, Jake, Farabee/Patrick(?).

I think that C is locked for Couts and Hayes. Then battle between Frost and Patrick (if he will be healthy again). 4th line? There we have a lot of players, Raffl and Laughton are lock, they can be best 4th line duo in the league for me.

Umm, summer will be pretty interesting for us again. It's good feeling.

Especially with the uncertainty regarding Patrick. I was looking at free agent centers and I could see Fletcher going after Mikko Koivu for some stability at 3rd line center.

His offensive game has dropped off but he’d allow the team to roll out a stronger 4 lines when healthy. All dependent on cost, but go into the playoffs with this if you know Patrick isn’t returning.

Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny
Giroux-Hayes-Farabee
JVR-Koivu-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Frost

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Just looking up Ghost's numbers and noticed that his PDO is 94.2. Only Braun's (89.4) is worse on defense.

The real culprit is his unbelievably low on-ice shooting percentage.

Ghost's OISH% is 5.2% (his individual sh% is 3.1, half his career average of 6%). Above only Twarynski and Hagg (Andreoff, Rubtsov and Morin are lower but sample size is 1-2 games).

So while Ghost's on-ice save % (89%) is 7th on the team (6th if you want to exclude Myers' 6 game sample), it's the crazy low shooting percentage that is skewing the numbers.

I wonder what his ice time looks like distributed across forward lines... Does anyone have that info?

For reference, every other defenseman on the team is essentially double or triple Ghost's shooting %:

Myers, 17.1 (only 6 games, but he is the one actually scoring the goals)
Sanheim, 15.4
Provorov, 12.1
Niskanen, 10.3
Braun, 9.8

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Just looking up Ghost's numbers and noticed that his PDO is 94.2. Only Braun's (89.4) is worse on defense.

The real culprit is his unbelievably low on-ice shooting percentage.

Ghost's OISH% is 5.2% (his individual sh% is 3.1, half his career average of 6%). Above only Twarynski and Hagg (Andreoff, Rubtsov and Morin are lower but sample size is 1-2 games).

So while Ghost's on-ice save % (89%) is 7th on the team (6th if you want to exclude Myers' 6 game sample), it's the crazy low shooting percentage that is skewing the numbers.

I wonder what his ice time looks like distributed across forward lines... Does anyone have that info?

For reference, every other defenseman on the team is essentially double or triple Ghost's shooting %:

Myers, 17.1 (only 6 games, but he is the one actually scoring the goals)
Sanheim, 15.4
Provorov, 12.1
Niskanen, 10.3
Braun, 9.8

I wasn’t too happy with his ability to get pucks through. This just makes it worse.
@Alex K

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think this “Ghost can’t get pucks on net” thing is just like the whole “Jake won’t shoot” imaginary thing where it’s just confirmation bias and any time he misses you only remember that.

Some definitely posted a graphic recently showing he gets pucks on net at an above average rate. I wish I could find that post.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think Ghost isn't getting the type of shots through that he used to, though, which was quick and hard hammers. He had that one that slipped through--who was it, Price?--on the rush that was nice and another good one joining the rush against Boston, but he seems to be double-clutching a lot during zone pressure and PP opportunities, allowing goalies to square to him. In previous years, he's been a bit quicker and caught people off guard frequently. So yeah, he's getting shots through, they just haven't looked as dangerous.

Reactions: TheKingPin

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I think this “Ghost can’t get pucks on net” thing is just like the whole “Jake won’t shoot” imaginary thing where it’s just confirmation bias and any time he misses you only remember that.

Some definitely posted a graphic recently showing he gets pucks on net at an above average rate. I wish I could find that post.
hockeyreference tracks thru% for a real quick display of that data. Ghost is 4th on the team (for defensemen). His current thru% is slightly higher than his career avg (funny enough his first season was his worst)

Ghost's most common teammate is still Robert Hagg, known trashcan

His second most common teammate is Justin Braun, shooting a whole 0% for the season

My favorite stat, and again one where I just cannot seem to find a single reason why Ghost wouldn't be on the "top PP", is this right here
Shayne Gostisbehere - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Nearly every single guy who has spent a decent amount of time on the powerplay with Ghost has a higher xGF% with him than without him.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
hockeyreference tracks thru% for a real quick display of that data. Ghost is 4th on the team (for defensemen). His current thru% is slightly higher than his career avg (funny enough his first season was his worst)

Ghost's most common teammate is still Robert Hagg, known trashcan

His second most common teammate is Justin Braun, shooting a whole 0% for the season

My favorite stat, and again one where I just cannot seem to find a single reason why Ghost wouldn't be on the "top PP", is this right here
Shayne Gostisbehere - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Nearly every single guy who has spent a decent amount of time on the powerplay with Ghost has a higher xGF% with him than without him.

It's his ability to keep pucks in and not lose it. Ghost is a master in that department

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Shot talk on the PP:

Ghost 18 shots, 14 SOG, 4 missed the net
Provy 15 shots, 14 SOG, 1 missed the net
Nisky 9 shots, 7 SOG, 2 missed the net

So yes Ghost has missed the net more...but not like the amount that some are talking like it is. And when you look at Ghost vs Nisky....they are missing the net at the same rate, but Ghost has taken 2 times the amount of shots.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad