2019/20 Roster Thread XXV [Dec. 4: Vorobyev recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
If I've learned anything about sports from the internet its loads of people have the mentality of "what have you done for me lately?". It is quite amusing to see how many people don't actually careful watch a game and watch them with their rose tinted glasses.

Hey, don't knock the rose tinted glasses! Lol

I'd prefer Zaphod's peril-sensitive sunglasses.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
That would be cruel if the only way to get Sanheim on the PP was to take off Ghost.

Especially after Ghost found the twine the other night with a classic Ghostbomb.

It's really curious how he seems to fall out of favour quickly with coaches.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If I've learned anything about sports from the internet its loads of people have the mentality of "what have you done for me lately?". It is quite amusing to see how many people don't actually careful watch a game and watch them with their rose tinted glasses.

Amen

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
gHoSt iSnT bEiNg SaBoTaGeD :laugh:

They've now tried pretty much everything in their power to stop him from scoring, then they complain that he isn't scoring enough. We didn't need any more proof because it was already indisputable, but this is just more proof that he's getting screwed over for no reason and quality of play has zero to do with usage. No matter how great he plays, they're going to sabotage him over in some way. Meanwhile, no matter what Provorov does, he'll never have to worry and he's absolutely cemented into the most favorable usage.

If Meltzer is correct in his reporting, AV and Therrien just took arguably the best PP defensemen in the entire NHL since entering the league off the PP entirely, instead of putting him where he belongs on the top unit... and yet we have people on here praising them for vague intangibles and somehow for the performance of individual players, while many of their real direct actions are this stupid.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
gHoSt iSnT bEiNg SaBoTaGeD :laugh:

They've now tried pretty much everything in their power to stop him from scoring, then they complain that he isn't scoring enough. We didn't need any more proof because it was already indisputable, but this is just more proof that he's getting screwed over for no reason and quality of play has zero to do with usage. No matter how great he plays, they're going to sabotage him over in some way. Meanwhile, no matter what Provorov does, he'll never have to worry and he's absolutely cemented into the most favorable usage.

If Meltzer is correct in his reporting, AV and Therrien just took arguably the best PP defensemen in the entire NHL since entering the league off the PP entirely, instead of putting him where he belongs on the top unit... and yet we have people on here praising them for vague intangibles and somehow for the performance of individual players, while many of their real direct actions are this stupid.

RosE cOloReD gLaSsEs

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If they are so intent on leaving Prov at the point so be it.

Put Ghost in Jakes old spot.

I’ve wanted to try Ghost there for a long time.
Or Ghost on PP1, Provorov and Sanheim on PP2. Obviously they don’t mind having two D on that unit and Niskanen doesn’t need to stay there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If they are so intent on leaving Prov at the point so be it.

Put Ghost in Jakes old spot.

I’ve wanted to try Ghost there for a long time.

It'll work damnit.

That one game where he was on the right side and moved up and down from point to down low was super effective. Let's keep doing that thing for a bit and see what it can be.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m still trying to figure out how they can rationalize demoting him after the game he just had.

Utter incompetence.

phillydownsouth

Giroux is your daddy
Sep 18, 2019
It'll work damnit.

That one game where he was on the right side and moved up and down from point to down low was super effective. Let's keep doing that thing for a bit and see what it can be.

if only the coaches skimmed through these boards...i feel like they have no concept of experimenting new systems.

"oh our PP is atrocious, maybe if we keep doing the same thing over and over it will stick" ....doesnt work that way normally.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In an otherwise fantastic season, Therrien is doing his best to spoil it. Too much good happening for me to get worked up over it right now though.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
as much i enjoy this winning streak what conerns me the most is elliot, he's very shaky, if i was fletch i go after another goalie, especially if elliot retires after this season, at least we can have a proven backup and not have to sign a crap goalie in fa.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Or Ghost on PP1, Provorov and Sanheim on PP2. Obviously they don’t mind having two D on that unit and Niskanen doesn’t need to stay there.

Honestly, why not go Provorov on one, and Ghost/Myers on the other? If those two guys are showing chemistry, give it a go.

Might be a bit soon for Myers, but whatever - they won't know until they try.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
as much i enjoy this winning streak what conerns me the most is elliot, he's very shaky, if i was fletch i go after another goalie, especially if elliot retires after this season, at least we can have a proven backup and not have to sign a crap goalie in fa.

As far as backups go he's perfectly fine.

You want your starter to have something like a .920, and you want your backup to be at .910, and he's siting at .916. He's been pretty well above average as a backup so far.

Hart has been stupid-good of late.

Edit: Of course these averages are pretty old now so I don't know if they've shifted down with scoring going up. It could be that an average backup is .900 these days.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
if only the coaches skimmed through these boards...i feel like they have no concept of experimenting new systems.

"oh our PP is atrocious, maybe if we keep doing the same thing over and over it will stick" ....doesnt work that way normally.

NHL coaches tend to be shockingly stubborn for a group of people who have 82 games to work with. Some of them are more like NFL coaches who have to deal with offensive schemes that are far more complex and can be harder to change in-season in any drastic or meaningful way without killing your chances.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Honestly, why not go Provorov on one, and Ghost/Myers on the other? If those two guys are showing chemistry, give it a go.

Because both Ghost and Sanheim should be getting the 1st and 2nd most PP minutes, with everyone else a distant afterthought.

The objective is to win games, not inflate Provorovs stats.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As far as backups go he's perfectly fine.

You want your starter to have something like a .920, and you want your backup to be at .910, and he's siting at .916. He's been pretty well above average as a backup so far.

Hart has been stupid-good of late.

Edit: Of course these averages are pretty old now so I don't know if they've shifted down with scoring going up. It could be that an average backup is .900 these days.

It takes a severe inability to evaluate talent to think that Elliott is the weak link on the team right now.

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
And it has been going downhill since the early season. AV seems to make other lineup decisions fairly quickly. But Provy has been immune.
Because he hasn’t been the problem. And they’ve made changes. Personally I like the units they apparently are going with tonight.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I'd keep Niskanen on the 2nd unit. He's done a good job.

I'm not sure why some people so desperately want Sanheim on the PP anyway.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
For goalies playing at least 8 games, Elliott is:

21st in SV%
24th in GAA
26th in Wins
7-2-2 record

That is fantastic to have from your backup. If that pro-rates over that season, we should be very happy. Oh, and he is not retiring after the season...lol. Where did that thought even come from? Be ready for a re-signing if he keeps playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad