2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is potential for so many decent combinations even with Patrick hurt. Combinations that no reasonable hockey mind could concretely say are worse than what the Flyers are currently choosing to run with.

Rubs, Vorobyev and Farabee are more than solid options.

Cowardly decision to run with the “veterans”. As usual.

How do you know they're more than solid options right now?
That's more wishful thinking than educated appraisal.

We all want shiny new toys.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
How do you know they're more than solid options right now?
That's more wishful thinking than educated appraisal.

We all want shiny new toys.

He said “potentially.” Trial and error for deserving candidates is the only way to make unknowns knowns. So much for that back and forth Lehigh Valley gibberish from Fletcher. I’m seeing some back. Looking for the forth.

What’s wrong with wishful thinking over educated appraisal? Fletcher has been making a job of it with this roster. Chris Stewart wishful thinking’d his way into a contract.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He said “potentially.” Trial and error for deserving candidates is the only way to make unknowns knowns. So much for that back and forth Lehigh Valley gibberish from Fletcher. I’m seeing some back. Looking for the forth.

What’s wrong with wishful thinking over educated appraisal? Fletcher has been making a job of it with this roster. Chris Stewart wishful thinking’d his way into a contract.

He's basically handling the roster the exact same way Hextall has so far. Short leash for prospects. Very reluctant to call up "skilled" prospects. Status quo.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stewart v Bunnaman? Will anyone notice?

I don't like Raffl at center, and I doubt AV does either, which suggests they don't feel any of the kids is a big improvement, right now.
I doubt Frost or Farabee suddenly made a quantum jump the last two weeks.

It's a timing issue, ideally Patrick is healthy, Laughton is the 4C and the kids stay in LHV until January or so. With Patrick out, the decisions become tougher.

At some point Farabee, Frost and Rubtsov should all be up this year, which is going to make the roster a tad bit crowded (Mr Stewart, I hope you brought your seat cushion with you).

But we're talking an undersized center with no pro experience, a 19 year old who's physically underdeveloped, and a oft injured center with a total of 35 games of pro experience.

It's not like any of these three are uber-talents who can just outskate their mistakes.
All three are the kind of players who will improve with experience.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If there is even a shred of chance that a young player has the potential to develop into something worthwhile, you always play that kid over a shit veteran who has ZERO chance of doing the same.

The Flyers however fear single game losses more than the apocalypse. As usual, failing to realize that developing kids and the “unknowns” - taking that risk on a club that doesn’t have a real rats ass chance at winning the cup anyway as currently constructed, is a risk that NEEDS to be taken.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If there is even a shred of chance that a young player has the potential to develop into something worthwhile, you always play that kid over a **** veteran who has ZERO chance of doing the same.

No, you don't, as Hextall said repeatedly, the NHL is not a development league.
Coaches in the NHL are focused on game strategy, not coaching up young players.
So from a development point of view, if a young player hasn't mastered some fundamentals the AHL is a better place to work on their skill set.

A lot of talented players have had meh rookie seasons because they're not physically or mentally ready to compete at a high level.
If you're a bad team, you might shrug your shoulders, but if you're coaching to make the playoffs, most HCs will go with the reliable, but limited, veteran.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’m kind of done with the conversation, nothing personal.

Hextall was a moron in developing a lot of his kids, and being far too punishing/hesitant in playing them.

If an NHL team fears playing its kids, in a league where drafting and developing is the main method of growing a team - it’s destined for much of what we have seen with the Flyers.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
As things stand right now we are banking up to 4 million for trade deadline. Marcus Foligno here we come.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What talented kid failed to develop?

Morin was a serious overdraft.
Laughton has turned into a serviceable bottom six forward.
Ghost
Hagg?
Notice the most "underachieving" prospects were drafted by Holmgren

TK, Sanheim, Provorov, Lindblom have all become top 6/top 4 players.
Patrick is more bad luck than anything else.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The flow is getting backed up, and that's a never good thing.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
He implied October would look like Grand Central Station. If this is all we're going to see, plus one more move for Patrick, he's just a lying fibber.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What talented kid failed to develop?

Morin was a serious overdraft.
Laughton has turned into a serviceable bottom six forward.
Ghost
Hagg?
Notice the most "underachieving" prospects were drafted by Holmgren

TK, Sanheim, Provorov, Lindblom have all become top 6/top 4 players.
Patrick is more bad luck than anything else.

One of these things is not like the others! :laugh:

Reactions: kudymen

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He implied October would look like Grand Central Station. If this is all we're going to see, plus one more move for Patrick, he's just a lying fibber.

They haven't even played half their games this month yet. We'll see what happens I suppose.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Stewart was Fletcher's decision.

And five games into the season is pretty early, even if the schedule makes it feel like we're at the half way mark.

I'd expect major moves to start in mid-November or so, when we approach the 20 game mark, AV has a better feel for his team and they have a better sense of the progress of the prospects.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think Stewart was Fletcher's decision.

And five games into the season is pretty early, even if the schedule makes it feel like we're at the half way mark.

I'd expect major moves to start in mid-November or so, when we approach the 20 game mark, AV has a better feel for his team and they have a better sense of the progress of the prospects.

Fletcher is the reason he is there. And he just removed the alternative to Stewart as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad