2019/20 Roster Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I totally get that, and it's not as if I want to keep him long term, either. But he does use his assets to their fullest. When I think of a 4th line, I think of a Vegas style 4th line. Guys who can skate, forecheck, get a few chances here and there...And when their on the defensive, I don't want to see them skating around like a deer in headlights -- the new age ginder types.
Sure, that's completely understandable. Like I said, I really have no strong opinion on him so he's wayyyy down my list of annoyances/concerns. I'm perfectly fine with him being on the 4th line, so long as it doesn't somehow come at the expense of a better player, which it hasn't and probably won't.

Reactions: VladDrag

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
4 pts in 5 games is nice to see for Provy.

Just not good that makes him our second highest scorer :)

Tbh on a man-to-man basis there have not been many guys who have been "bad" to start the year.

The 4th line has been a mess (but Raffl looked solid/good on 3rd, as did Twarynski when there).
Hagg has obviously been worst D... but not made many "big" mistakes.
Braun has played fine overall with a couple of howlers (one of which... I mean... McDavid).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Tbh on a man-to-man basis there have not been many guys who have been "bad" to start the year.

The 4th line has been a mess (but Raffl looked solid/good on 3rd, as did Twarynski when there).
Hagg has obviously been worst D... but not made many "big" mistakes.
Braun has played fine overall with a couple of howlers (one of which... I mean... McDavid).

I thought Jake was bad before last nights game.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I concur.

If they keep playing like they have over the first five games they will finish as a top 10 team in the NHL this year even without great goaltending.

Appleya
I concur.

If they keep playing like they have over the first five games they will finish as a top 10 team in the NHL this year even without great goaltending.

Appleyard,

Can I ask your background? You do a terrific job both analytically and journalistically.

Do you or have you ever actually played the game? Also have you crossed the pond and seen the Flyers in person? (You’re in the UK, correct?)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

This is encouraging since our worst guys, have been our worst guys. And really, 2 of those guys "should" be in the AHL and another scratched.

When we actually get to the point of Raffl Laughton Pitlick...as our 4th line, we could a very good team.

We had 1 bad game in Calgary...and 1 bad goaltending game last night.

It's nice to actually have upgrades in the AHL that will/should be here soon whereas in past year, it was swapping out 4th liners for 4th liners. We actually have top 9 guys ready/almost ready.

Reactions: Appleyard

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The team needs Voracek because he's one of the few play drivers on the team. What makes him so frustrating is also his strength... he's bold and skilled enough to make creative, high-risk plays. When he's off, he's a turnover machine. But when he's on, he's invaluable.

Reactions: phil162888

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Appleya

Appleyard,

Can I ask your background? You do a terrific job both analytically and journalistically.

Do you or have you ever actually played the game? Also have you crossed the pond and seen the Flyers in person? (You’re in the UK, correct?)

Thanks for the kind words.

I am a Law graduate, with an International Criminology Masters... now work in sport and development after a spell in academia as a sociological researcher.

As for hockey, while I watched since age 6 we have one rink within 30 miles and takes an hour to get to. So while can skate and consider myself to have a good shot I only ever dabbled in roller hockey, partially due to water polo commitments (Played water polo as a kid to a high level (GB u-16 squad) and have a British Universities championship medal), partially to to expense of getting across city, equipment etc.

And right now between the UK and Denmark! And sadly never managed to get across the pond. But should be over in not so distant future I reckon. Maybe this season even.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Food for thought:

Some coaches manage to win games, some coaches to win seasons.
One thing that got Kapler fired was trying to win every game and killing his bullpen.
Hakstol overworked goalies (like many HCs), wonder if being a college coach created "I have to win every game" mindset due to much shorter seasons.
If you want to win every game, hard to sit the better goalie or avoid playing Couts and G 22 minutes a night.

Toronto rested Leonard, lost the top seed by doing so - how did that work out?

I think AV is a "win the season" coach, that is, make moves based on what will build the best team down the stretch and into the playoffs.
So he experiments to start the season, doesn't like to rush prospects, tries to even out time between lines so as to not overwork his stars.
This may cost a couple points in the first half of the season, but the stars are protected, the prospects marinated and the lines and D-pairs are "road tested."

Points in March are more valuable than points in October if your goal is a deep playoff run - because you want to be rolling the last 20 games or so.

While it's nice that you've accepted the fact that his goalie usage sucked, no, not many HCs handled their goalies like that. Really just him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Start shopping JVR

Will do, sir!

z0144pbtlvx11.gif

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

I am a Law graduate, with an International Criminology Masters... now work in sport and development after a spell in academia as a sociological researcher.

As for hockey, while I watched since age 6 we have one rink within 30 miles and takes an hour to get to. So while can skate and consider myself to have a good shot I only ever dabbled in roller hockey, partially due to water polo commitments (Played water polo as a kid to a high level (GB u-16 squad) and have a British Universities championship medal), partially to to expense of getting across city, equipment etc.

And right now between the UK and Denmark! And sadly never managed to get across the pond. But should be over in not so distant future I reckon. Maybe this season even.

Very cool. If you get over this way let me know. I live a mile from WFC and have season tickets. I’ll give you my unofficial Flyers tour. Had a great time with @RANKKA when he came over from Finland last year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Very cool. If you get over this way let me know. I live a mile from WFC and have season tickets. I’ll give you my unofficial Flyers tour. Had a great time with @RAANKA when he came over from Finland last year.

That would be awesome! Honestly love meeting "new" people and seeing new places and am a very sociable person in general. So when get over would be great to meet up. Same going to other HFBers!

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

None of these coaches cited managed to ride 6 goalies into the ground in 30 games. These are all articles talking about coaches riding a single workhorse starter too hard, guys like Talbot and Lundqvist and Holtby, who have had repeated 60+ game seasons. Brian Elliott has always been a 25-40 game guy who wasn't going to be more durable at age 33 coming off surgery.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

You now what's nuts? None of them worked their goalies like Hakstol did. Remember when I went through several years of starts from every starting goalie and saw how many played stretches like, say, 4 games in 6 nights with a back to back and no holiday/league mandated break?

There were only a handful of goalies who saw that usage over the course of several years. Most of them had breaks. Those who didn't became injured with the lone exception of price. No team was repeating such things annually like Hakstol was.

Hakstol was an outlier in terms of how awful he was at handling goalies.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

giphy.gif

p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad