2019-20 Roster Thread XIV: It's all about the sonnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The lineup on October 1 is unlikely to be the same as January 1 or the day after the TDL.
If the kids force promotions, Fletcher will probably move one or two veterans before the TDL just to make room.
How often do GM's trade away vets near the deadline to promote a kid? It never happens. They keep both and that kid gets a recall near the end of the season if they think he is an upgrade.

We won't be trading Braun or Pitlick near the deadline to promote Friedman or Farabee/Frost.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
How often do GM's trade away vets near the deadline to promote a kid? It never happens. They keep both and that kid gets a recall near the end of the season if they think he is an upgrade.

Well, Clarke did it in 2004, which is a big reason as to why the Flyers lost in the ECF

Reactions: mmvvpp and Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

We won't be trading Braun or Pitlick near the deadline to promote Friedman or Farabee/Frost.

How often due GMs have a logjam of prospects?
Some teams have been both buyers and sellers at the TDL.
I doubt Fletcher would trade Braun to make room for Friedman, but what if Morin turns out to be what they hoped he'd become?

And if Farabee, Frost and Rubtsov smoke the AHL, it'll be hard to keep them out of the lineup.

Fletcher may feel it's not fair to someone like Pitlick to bury him in the pressbox for a couple months and does him a favor by moving him to a playoff contender.

Rich people problems.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Really can't wait for Pitlick proving himselfto be the final piece of our championship bound roster.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That would be indefensibly stupid.

There’s no way anyone could be that dumb.

Don't worry. Vigneault doesn't overplay plugs or have young players he's uninterested in giving real chances. He only does that when he's right about the young player in question. He told me so himself.

(Every coach does this to some degree. Coaching is a win-today-or-die profession.)

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Really can't wait for Pitlick proving himselfto be the final piece of our championship bound roster.
If Pitlick is really the piece that drives this team to a SC, I’ll streak down Broad Street with an I <3 Fletcher painted on my chest and stomach.

Don’t worry, both remarks won’t ever happen.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If Pitlick is really the piece that drives this team to a SC, I’ll streak down Broad Street with an I <3 Fletcher painted on my chest and stomach.

Don’t worry, both remarks won’t ever happen.

He’s going to get injured, need not worry.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't worry. Vigneault doesn't overplay plugs or have young players he's uninterested in giving real chances. He only does that when he's right about the young player in question. He told me so himself.

(Every coach does this to some degree. Coaching is a win-today-or-die profession.)

I don't think any of the young players that fans complained about AV not playing in either Vancouver or the Rangers ever amounted to much - good example is Buchnevich:
AV
22: 15:01 TOI, 9-17 26 ES, 5-12 17 PP, CorsiRel +3.5, E +/- -3.5
post AV
23: 15:15 TOI, 14-12 26 ES, 7-5 12 PP, CorsiRel +2.2, E +/- 0.0

Funny thing, HCs actually see a guy play in preseason, in practice and watches film, and knows what the player is supposed to do.
Maybe there's a reason HCs don't play certain players as much as fans would wish and other players more?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I don't think any of the young players that fans complained about AV not playing in either Vancouver or the Rangers ever amounted to much - good example is Buchnevich:
AV
post AV

Funny thing, HCs actually see a guy play in preseason, in practice and watches film, and knows what the player is supposed to do.
Maybe there's a reason HCs don't play certain players as much as fans would wish and other players more?
They watch the tape and don't care what social media says.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

And surely it was just a coincidence that Hayes suddenly breaks out after AV gets fired too.

Weird that he got fired when he does nothing wrong.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

1hd9bzb.gif

The very idea of Pitlick playing in this no expenses spared, win now top 9 is revolting. I thought the point of all this was to have a stacked top 9. He's not a bad player. But he's oft-injured with 1 full NHL season under his belt going on age 28. He's a fine 4th liner. The trickle down effect is you might have a negative value AHL guy on the 4th line, like Andreoff, who Meltzer has also been mentioning a lot. Suddenly the bottom 6 is going from high-end to meh.

For all the people demanding Patrick have a breakout season THIS year, have fun with a 4th line grinder on RW and a guy who has zero transition ability at LW.

You mean the exact role of Nolan Patrick, which has been defended in the name of depth? Heaven forbid. There aren't 10 players on this team better equipped for the PP than Farabee and especially Frost. Frost is the dream PP2 QB.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
AV
post AV

Player outcomes are not binary. That's exactly why I had so much of a problem with his answer at the press conference.

It's almost never singly the player's fault a guy busts, same as it's almost never just a coach's or management's fault. All sides being able to see and acknowledge that is where I want to be with everyone is my org going forward.

It's no different than everything else in life. Mistakes are opportunities to learn something. I praise people who acknowledge this whenever I see them.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
He’s going to get injured, need not worry.
I always find this interesting. I want to start a thread pre-dating the opening night in Prague, but with a known lineup of guessing the stat line for each player-

Example:
Giroux: .G - .A - .P | .GP | .PIM
Hart: .W - .L - .T | .GP | .SV% | .GAA | .SO

Just to see who had the worst hot take or to see who got the closest.

Reactions: VladDrag

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Now there is a comment that certainly shows that you're willing to give this coaching staff a chance before a pessimistic judgment. :laugh:

There's a difference between judging what he did in the past (what I just did) vs judging what he will do here (which I haven't).

But I appreciate the failed "gotcha" attempt ;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That’s pretty much said every time a guy underwhelms scoring wise at a lower level.

The Rubtsov thing is kind of strange to me. The Flyers are really buying into that 14 game sample last year.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
1hd9bzb.gif

The very idea of Pitlick playing in this no expenses spared, win now top 9 is revolting. I thought the point of all this was to have a stacked top 9. He's not a bad player. But he's oft-injured with 1 full NHL season under his belt going on age 28. He's a fine 4th liner. The trickle down effect is you might have a negative value AHL guy on the 4th line, like Andreoff, who Meltzer has also been mentioning a lot. Suddenly the bottom 6 is going from high-end to meh.

For all the people demanding Patrick have a breakout season THIS year, have fun with a 4th line grinder on RW and a guy who has zero transition ability at LW.

You mean the exact role of Nolan Patrick, which has been defended in the name of depth? Heaven forbid. There aren't 10 players on this team better equipped for the PP than Farabee and especially Frost. Frost is the dream PP2 QB.

Big Bill was pushing a scenario for Rubtsov making the opening night roster today in his article. It's amazing how even a slight name drop from coaches or management shapes his opinion. No matter how ridiculous.

Meltzer is a joke.

It's insanity that people still value his worthless opinion.

Reactions: BringBackBerube

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
There's a difference between judging what he did in the past (what I just did) vs judging what he will do here (which I haven't).

But I appreciate the failed "gotcha" attempt ;)
You're looking for, or already have made, excuses for hating AV and the rest of the coaching staff. Just keeping you honest. ;)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's insanity that people still value his worthless opinion.

He has too many old school tendencies, but he's still probably the 2nd best beat writer after O'Connor.

But it's not worthless because he's probably THE most connected writer to the team given he works for them in other capacities. When he says he thinks Pitlick is the front runner for 3RW and Andreoff could snag the 12th spot *retch* it's because he heard it off record from a good source. He's not guessing.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You're looking for, or already have made, excuses for hating AV and the rest of the coaching staff. Just keeping you honest. ;)
Nope, just pointing out that they've made mistakes in the past. I know that upsets some on here, for whatever reason, but oh well. Those people should probably reflect on why that is and examine their own objectivity/honesty.

And you don't need to keep me honest, since if you just read the content my posts you'll realize that there's no contradictions at all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad