2019-20 Roster Thread XIV: It's all about the sonnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Having two Swedish Oscars might be better than having just the one.

Oscar Lindberg - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

20 points in 55 games last year.

I'm not in favor of adding any other bottom 6 forwards, but I do think he is better than Pitlick and probably Raffl. If he could replace one of them, then sure.

Although, if they decide to start off Frost and Farabee in the AHL, and he is still unsigned, might not be a bad idea.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think they already have a very similar player in Rubtsov, who’s younger & didn’t have significant surgeries on both hips recently. I’d rather let the players in the org battle it out, unless Vigneault gives Lindberg rave reviews (which I doubt, since Lindberg was inconsistent & healthy scratched under AV).

Reactions: BernieParent

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I think they already have a very similar player in Rubtsov, who’s younger & didn’t have significant surgeries on both hips recently. I’d rather let the players in the org battle it out, unless Vigneault gives Lindberg rave reviews (which I doubt, since Lindberg was inconsistent & healthy scratched under AV).
Lindberg another floater. No thanks.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

That’s hysterical. By the time he lined up the margins on the typewriter Bridgeman and he could have exchanged half a dozen texts.

Of course, a coach today would probably have to send that to the player’s agent to then discuss it with the player.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm sure it was mentioned in the last thread but with Girard signing 7yrs x 5m, does 6.5m seem reasonable for Provorov? And if not, who is saying no, Provo or Fletcher?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For Provorov, think $20M for his 4 RFA seasons, so $24M for 3 UFA years, 7yr/$44M is $6.3M a year.
Provorov is not going to get Trouba money with 4, not 1, RFA years left.

Reactions: Insurrection

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Carlo thread in the main boards....lots of Bruins fans and others saying he could get 5-7 million. Yes, some saying 7.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Carlo thread in the main boards....lots of Bruins fans and others saying he could get 5-7 million. Yes, some saying 7.

This would be one occasion in which a Bruin being dramatically overrated wont annoy the hell out of me (assuming it doesnt effect the Provy extension). I want the Bruins to be as cash-strapped as possible.
e717676d-d60c-467e-b324-fd11aee75bea_text.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
While he (Fletcher) didn't want to say during the offseason that "there's no chance" for any of these three players (Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe) to win an opening night job, he stated repeatedly that his preference will likely be AHL assignments first for all three prospects.

Fletcher on April 8 said the following: "Obviously, of course somebody can come in and make the team, but they’re going to have to earn it. We’re not looking to just put players on the team. I think the American League is a great developmental league. I think it’s important place for most players to spend some time there. Having said that, I don’t like cutting players in April. There’s some talented kids coming out of junior, coming out of college. We’ll let their play determine how they do, but I guess what I’m saying is I hope we’re a little deeper up front and on the blue line and it will be a little tougher to make the team. That will be ideal. Your depth is obviously better and you allow players time to full develop before they come in."

On June 26, after expressing satisfaction at what he saw during Development Camp, Fletcher again pumped the brakes on raising expectations that any of the top forward prospects in the organization would bypass the AHL and arrive directly on the Flyers' opening night roster.

"Ideally they all get some time in the American League, but there’s a lot of high-end talent here," Fletcher said. "In most situations, a young player ideally goes to the American League, and plays a lot of minutes before they come up here. When they do, they are hopefully ready for the demands of this level. But training camp exists for a reason. If someone comes in and shows they're ready [now], we won't hold them back."

Posting this article for my buddy @Striiker who doesn't believe in training camp mattering/it's Frost's 3rd line spot to lose

:DD

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: WJSS Wrapup, Farabee, Hart, TIFH

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher's approach is pretty obvious:

1) Commit to your young players, not one prospect was traded this summer despite a mandate to "win now."

2) Bring in veterans on short-term deals to both mentor these players but also to avoid "force feeding" prospects due to lack of depth.

3) Give prospects a shot in camp to beat out those veterans, but veterans win "ties," that is, a prospect has to show they're clearly ready for the NHL - including being ready for a 100 game season. Remember, these "ties" are for a bottom six/3rd pair role, so no urgency to play a prospect.

4) LHV is 2 hours away, that is, sending a prospect down to LHV is not the kiss of death. Injuries are inevitable, but the preference is for a player to do a "Giroux," make it clear that he's heads and shoulders above his AHL peers and force a promotion.

Frost has the best shot to stick out of TC.
Farabee has the slide year, no reason to waste a season with him playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line
Ratcliffe needs seasoning, but if he scores like he did in the CHL, all bets are off (i.e. 20 goals in his first 40 AHL games)
Rubtsov needs to be healthy, he's NHL ready defensively, since his obvious role is 4C, he can polish his offensive skills in the NHL
Vorobyev has to show improved skating and intensity, he's also NHL ready in terms of skills (top passer).

The rest should spend a full season in the AHL, but you never know, if Kase starts playing like his brother, if Twarynski is a top defender and forechecker while being an offensive force, if Bunnaman gets faster, if Strome can skate like a NHL player . . .

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Fletcher's approach is pretty obvious:

1) Commit to your young players, not one prospect was traded this summer despite a mandate to "win now."

2) Bring in veterans on short-term deals to both mentor these players but also to avoid "force feeding" prospects due to lack of depth.

3) Give prospects a shot in camp to beat out those veterans, but veterans win "ties," that is, a prospect has to show they're clearly ready for the NHL - including being ready for a 100 game season. Remember, these "ties" are for a bottom six/3rd pair role, so no urgency to play a prospect.

4) LHV is 2 hours away, that is, sending a prospect down to LHV is not the kiss of death. Injuries are inevitable, but the preference is for a player to do a "Giroux," make it clear that he's heads and shoulders above his AHL peers and force a promotion.

Frost has the best shot to stick out of TC.
Farabee has the slide year, no reason to waste a season with him playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line
Ratcliffe needs seasoning, but if he scores like he did in the CHL, all bets are off (i.e. 20 goals in his first 40 AHL games)
Rubtsov needs to be healthy, he's NHL ready defensively, since his obvious role is 4C, he can polish his offensive skills in the NHL
Vorobyev has to show improved skating and intensity, he's also NHL ready in terms of skills (top passer).

The rest should spend a full season in the AHL, but you never know, if Kase starts playing like his brother, if Twarynski is a top defender and forechecker while being an offensive force, if Bunnaman gets faster, if Strome can skate like a NHL player . . .
playing on the 4th line with plugs will not allow that to happen. Rather see him as top center on phantoms. Farabee will win a spot out of camp imo.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Posting this article for my buddy @Striiker who doesn't believe in training camp mattering/it's Frost's 3rd line spot to lose

:DD

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: WJSS Wrapup, Farabee, Hart, TIFH
Let be clear.

I never said that training camp DOESN’T matter.

I said that training camp SHOULDN’T matter.

I’m well aware that GMs are stupid enough to think that this tiny sample size, with mixed squads, rusty players, and half-assing NHLers is somehow a valuable evaluation period.

Reactions: wasup

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course training camp should matter, it's not the be all and end all, but which is more revealing, 19 year old Farabee dominating 18 year old peers this summer, or Farabee dominating NHL players and prospects, including AHL+ players fighting for roster spots, in training camp?

How a prospect holds up playing against men is an important data point, it's easier to observe raw skill at lower levels than how a player will use those skills in games with smaller windows and bigger, more physically mature opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad